Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2008, 02:20   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Hi,
I will be getting a 4x4 soon(Safari). In all probablity the 4x4 system will be put to use maybe 4-5 times in a year. Rest of the time she will be running on city roads.
I am worried, that due to lack of use, the system may go bad/jammed etc.,
The dealership guy is hell bent on convincing me to buy a 4x2 due to this reason, and says that ever since he's being working in the dealership(3 years+) he does not recollect a single person buying a 4x4.
Similar stories I heard from Mahindra dealers too, who gave me funny looks when I mentioned 4x4.
Is it really a big problem?
I think there are quite a few 4x4(non jeep) users who go offroad very rarely. So how do you make sure that the system stays in top notch position.
I am thinking that maybe on a straight road I can engage 4x4 for 20-30 meters and then disengage. Do this occasionally.
There is an empty ground near my house and I could practice drifting there when it rains.
So 4x4(softroader) owners, what do you do to make sure your system keeps on running good in the city.
Do not warry mate!
I have plenty of friends with 2.0 3.0 2.2 Safari and some of them does engage 4x4 no more then once a year, no problems! As long as your transmission train is kept well, all the electrics protected, no problems at all! Went off road 1 week ago and my 4x4 was off since March, everything was perfectly smooth!
Ciao

Ignazio
Old 27th June 2008, 02:44   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The dealership guy is hell bent on convincing me to buy a 4x2 due to this reason, and says that ever since he's being working in the dealership(3 years+) he does not recollect a single person buying a 4x4.
Similar stories I heard from Mahindra dealers too, who gave me funny looks when I mentioned 4x4.
Hogwash!

Use when needed. Nothing will happen.
Old 27th June 2008, 03:30   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
I will be getting a 4x4 soon(Safari). In all probablity the 4x4 system will be put to use maybe 4-5 times in a year. Rest of the time she will be running on city roads.
I think there are quite a few 4x4(non jeep) users who go offroad very rarely. So how do you make sure that the system stays in top notch position.
I am thinking that maybe on a straight road I can engage 4x4 for 20-30 meters and then disengage. Do this occasionally.
There is an empty ground near my house and I could practice drifting there when it rains.
So 4x4(softroader) owners, what do you do to make sure your system keeps on running good in the city.
Tanveer,
I got the same sarcastic grins and the all knowing smirks when I got the 4x4.
Apparently, mine was the first 4x4 safari sold in Noida.
None of the dorks at the dealerships drove one before and were waiting, lolling their tongues out to TD mine.(Not that I let them.)
They told me it will rust from non-use and blah...
In under an year I've done nearly 22000km.No issues with the 4x4.
If you intend to use the FWD 5 times an year,you dont need to worry about non-use.
Once the rains get here I'll show you enough stretches on the bylanes and service roads(?) of the Noida-Greater Noida expressway that can keep your monster muddy.
Old 27th June 2008, 03:38   #94
Senior - BHPian

Winter elsewhere

Quote:

So how do you make sure that the system stays in top notch position.
A lot of people in other countries buy four wheel drive strictly for winter use. This means the systems go unused for 6-9 months of the year. The standard advice given is to do exactly what you have thought of doing, find a field and run it in four wheel drive once or twice a month just to keep things lubricated, seals wet etc. They have the same components you do. They have no problems whatsoever with components failing due to disuse.

I have been lied to many times now by Mahindra sales people who want to sell me something fast as opposed to selling me something they have to order specially, which takes longer and probably holds up their commissions.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 27th June 2008 at 03:41. Reason: Omitted important stuff
Old 27th June 2008, 11:28   #95
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, in all my 10 years of owning the 4x4 Safari, I can really count the number of times I've engaged the 4x4 tranny. Most of the times it remains in disuse. But whenever it has been engaged, has worked like a dream. The last I used it was in Jan'08 end, at a construction site opposite Genpact in DLF Phase V, Gurgaon, that was slushy, potholed, hillocked and muddy. I drove around that place for about 20 mins in both - 4L & 4H mode. No issues.
Old 27th June 2008, 12:34   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Tanveer, in all my 10 years of owning the 4x4 Safari, I can really count the number of times I've engaged the 4x4 tranny. Most of the times it remains in disuse. But whenever it has been engaged, has worked like a dream. The last I used it was in Jan'08 end, at a construction site opposite Genpact in DLF Phase V, Gurgaon, that was slushy, potholed, hillocked and muddy. I drove around that place for about 20 mins in both - 4L & 4H mode. No issues.
So that I suppose should clear all doubts. If Guruji with a 10 year old 4x4 is not having any issues with occasional use of the 4x4, then I don't see why Tanveer will have a problem. So all claims by the TASS is hogwash and is a clear case of misleading. Go on Tanveer, book your 4x4 and keep us posted.
Old 27th June 2008, 12:53   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
So all claims by the TASS is hogwash and is a clear case of misleading. Go on Tanveer, book your 4x4 and keep us posted.
Sumit, I don't think these asses change the mind of any determined buyer.
Tanveer's concern was more regarding 'correct' upkeep procedures, rather than an actual worry or doubt regarding ordering a 4X4. I think!
Old 27th June 2008, 13:34   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Sumit, I don't think these asses change the mind of any determined buyer.
Tanveer's concern was more regarding 'correct' upkeep procedures, rather than an actual worry or doubt regarding ordering a 4X4. I think!
Exactly, my concern was about "upkeep" rather than should I not or should I.
the 2.2 EX 4x4 is coming.
Old 27th June 2008, 13:45   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well then, tentative congrats are in order, Tanveer!
I firmly believe this is one lucky vehicle which we will ALL enjoy - it will go to the most remarkable places at the most remarkable times! Many a wonderful 'thousand words' will be the result!
Gosh, I can already hardly wait!!

Shall we now discuss the photography gear that you still need?

Last edited by anupmathur : 27th June 2008 at 13:48.
Old 27th June 2008, 14:00   #100
Team-BHP Support

After the truck I won't have any money for any more photography gear
Old 28th June 2008, 15:12   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After the truck I won't have any money for any more photography gear
Do not worry about this. With the price of oil going out of sight we will have to go to the bank once a month to get loans to fill our tanks. We will not be able to afford to go anywhere anyway. Our steeds will sit in our driveways and rust away from non-use.
Old 28th June 2008, 15:32   #102
BHPian

take the 2+2 warranty tanveer and make the dealers life miserable should something not work.

FYI - there are ample places in Gurgaon where you can stretch the 4*4. We can leave the ladies to shop at the ambi mall while u n me go check out the so called gurgaon roads

Bring on the safari dude & congrats
Old 28th June 2008, 16:39   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
applying brakes on the spinning wheels can recover some torque.
Thats what traction control does,Last month i parked my Elantra with one wheel in air, i knew the wheel spin will not let the car move at i tried with TCS off the car did not move but with turning TCS on the car was moving just after a few light blinks on the meter.
Old 29th June 2008, 13:05   #104
Senior - BHPian

Advance congratulations Tanveer and a ride in the 2.2 VTT 4x4 is due..

Quote:
Exactly, my concern was about "upkeep" rather than should I not or should I.
Old 29th June 2008, 14:14   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Tanveer, I think we should ask Suman and Steer to post their thoughts about the usage or non-usage of 4x4 in the city. Suman, if I am correct, has not been out of town in the Safari for a long time and thus will be in a better position to clear this doubt.
Correct but I do use the 4x4 consciously sometimes - we have enough fields & muddy stretches in Gurgaon to do that. Once in a while I remember that I haven't used it for some time so off I go into a field & have some fun

But I don't see any issues with not using it on a regular basis as long as oil & lubricants are maintained at appropriate levels (these are topped up if required during the routine services & changed at stipulated intervals)

Last edited by suman : 29th June 2008 at 14:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks