Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2008, 21:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

thanks for replying Abhijeet, yes i do know that the 540 is not a good thing if we look at the comfort thing... to be very true with you i am not a 4x4 person... or a offroading person... to me off raoding might just be limited to over take a buss and get offf road lol... or going into my Mama's feilds to get to the farm house...(i have done that with the Wagon R aswell so surely would be possible with the Jeep)... by the comfort i mean to have a AC so that i can keep kool while my bones are being shattered... so just wanted more info about it...

i plan to keep the petrol unit and get it converted in to the CNG unit because i feel that the petrol unit would be more silent fast and also less jerky... and then CNG would help me keep it light on the pocket... sorry i am not very well versed technically... any way would like to have suggestions....
Old 17th February 2008, 01:32   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
thanks for replying Abhijeet, yes i do know that the 540 is not a good thing if we look at the comfort thing... to be very true with you i am not a 4x4 person... or a offroading person... to me off raoding might just be limited to over take a buss and get offf road lol... or going into my Mama's feilds to get to the farm house...(i have done that with the Wagon R aswell so surely would be possible with the Jeep)... by the comfort i mean to have a AC so that i can keep kool while my bones are being shattered... so just wanted more info about it...

i plan to keep the petrol unit and get it converted in to the CNG unit because i feel that the petrol unit would be more silent fast and also less jerky... and then CNG would help me keep it light on the pocket... sorry i am not very well versed technically... any way would like to have suggestions....
There is no need to apologise! Frankly from what you describe, I would not even recommend a 4x4, it seems you just need a vehicle with good ground clearance and a slightly rugged suspension. I've driven on plenty of farm roads and except for the monsoons, most of the time that's all they really need... most villagers I know use Maruti 800's and Indicas on them all the time... Consider the new Sumo, from what I saw of it at the Auto Expo it's not bad looking at all and seems to be mechanically competent (at least on paper). Another option could be the Tempo Trax, which isn't exactly a beauty contest winner, but some models do come with A/c etc. Of course you always have the slightly more expensive options of the Mahindra Scropio and Tata Safari... both have come out with new and improved engines recently, though the Safari (at least for now) is the cheaper option (with the new engine). If you are willing to go further up, there is a whole lot of SUV's of which IMHO the Mitsubishi Pajero is the best bang for your buck in the price range... the others are mere pretenders! (I think I already hear some brickbats wizzing my way )
Cheers!
Abhijeet
Old 17th February 2008, 15:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeet View Post
There is no need to apologise! Frankly from what you describe, I would not even recommend a 4x4, it seems you just need a vehicle with good ground clearance and a slightly rugged suspension. I've driven on plenty of farm roads and except for the monsoons, most of the time that's all they really need... most villagers I know use Maruti 800's and Indicas on them all the time... Consider the new Sumo, from what I saw of it at the Auto Expo it's not bad looking at all and seems to be mechanically competent (at least on paper). Another option could be the Tempo Trax, which isn't exactly a beauty contest winner, but some models do come with A/c etc. Of course you always have the slightly more expensive options of the Mahindra Scropio and Tata Safari... both have come out with new and improved engines recently, though the Safari (at least for now) is the cheaper option (with the new engine). If you are willing to go further up, there is a whole lot of SUV's of which IMHO the Mitsubishi Pajero is the best bang for your buck in the price range... the others are mere pretenders! (I think I already hear some brickbats wizzing my way )
Cheers!
Abhijeet
haha seems that you took me all wrong i am not looking for what you described there any way let me be specific... i love the old Cj5's thats the Mahindra 540,550 Look alike and thats what i want to get... chalo any way when i go back to bathinda next time i just need to make a quick trip to Dalwali and Moga to check out the jeeps...
Old 26th February 2008, 18:57   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear GTO - please call me or SMS your mobile number to me. I will try and see if I can help you out. I feel that something should be done to make your car exclusive.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 28th February 2008, 20:27   #20

Izusu on a Willys MB...

Quote:
The 1.8 had decent pep, although no road burning capability thanks to the Jeeps inherent limitations. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to fit a 4x4 on it while the smell of petrol and overheating problems make it undriveable in the city. Plans are to fit a simple XDP on it and restore the Jeep to the way it was.
GTO not sure if the engine you are talking about is a petrol or diesel but I have a Willys MB fitted with a ISUZU 1.8 (4FB1) diesel engine and a 4X4 Trooper gear box.

Well let me start some place...
  • Just as Abhijeet pointed out I too had the same problems with the Oil Filter. My mechanic just removed it... I have faced no problems so far because of the removed filter but while changing the oil we are extremely careful...
  • After the Jeep was diesel'ised, the brakes were inadequate. So we ended up changing the brake drums to a Mahindra Van's. These were good until the cylinders started wearing out... That's when the Jeep while braking used to swerve so much to the left/right that we had to swerve the steering sharply in the other direction to keep it in a straight line. Finally I went in for disc brakes on the front. The disc is a hybrid consisting of custom made as well as Maruti 1000, Sumo & Armada parts.
  • I still have the petrol differentials. So the first and second gears are pretty low speed. On the fourth gear I have tried up to 90kmph after which my guts gave out.
- Anand
Old 29th February 2008, 10:33   #21
BHPian

Mr. Anand,
there is a jeep in pollachi(you will be knowing this place as your from coimbatore) which runs in the same modifications as you have carried out with your willys ... but its a MM540 chassis if you want i will post the pic of the jeep; of course couldn't take the internals

isn't it looking like a wrangler TJ infact at first time when i spotted it in TV samy road thought it was a imported jeep
Old 29th February 2008, 12:07   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
GTO not sure if the engine you are talking about is a petrol or diesel but I have a Willys MB fitted with a ISUZU 1.8 (4FB1) diesel engine and a 4X4 Trooper gear box.
Is there the slightest chance of finding a 4x4 tranny that would work with my 1.8 Isuzu?
Old 1st March 2008, 09:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

I think I already spoke to you once about the isuzu 4wd gearbox. Can help you source one for about 14K.
Old 1st March 2008, 12:05   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
I think I already spoke to you once about the isuzu 4wd gearbox. Can help you source one for about 14K.
Lets take this up via PM. Compiling within 30 seconds. Thanks
Old 3rd March 2008, 12:00   #25

Find the Trooper Gear box.

Quote:
Is there the slightest chance of finding a 4x4 tranny that would work with my 1.8 Isuzu?
GTO, Get the 4X4 Gear box of Isuzu Trooper. They are much more easily available in Mumbai and Delhi markets! See if you can get the Isuzu G-Series Engine.

The 1.8 Isuzu (imported) though a smooth, high speed & well manufactured engine, it simply cannot compete with the 2400cc Peugeot engine, when it comes to low end power. I have seen Peugeot engines perform exceedingly well when carrying around 16-18 ppl on the mountains.
Old 3rd March 2008, 12:10   #26

Quote:
Mr. Anand,
there is a jeep in pollachi(you will be knowing this place as your from coimbatore) which runs in the same modifications as you have carried out with your willys ... but its a MM540 chassis if you want i will post the pic of the jeep; of course couldn't take the internals.
isn't it looking like a wrangler TJ infact at first time when i spotted it in TV samy road thought it was a imported jeep
Ranjith, I saw this jeep when it was undergoing the remodeling. As you said this is in fact a MM540 that has been remodeled like a Wrangler. The work was done by one of the authorities on Jeep restoration in the whole of the country.
Old 3rd March 2008, 13:02   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
Mr. Anand,
there is a jeep in pollachi(you will be knowing this place as your from coimbatore) which runs in the same modifications as you have carried out with your willys ... but its a MM540 chassis if you want i will post the pic of the jeep; of course couldn't take the internals

Looks like it is more show and no go, sump guard too low(if its the sump guard that is, looks more like horn holder lol). Tyres are for street use, take her offroad with those on and you will spin them on a 1% incline.

Nice colour though cheers:
Old 3rd March 2008, 17:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
take her offroad with those on and you will spin them on a 1% incline.
here is one more picture showing the tires(partly of course) its actually yokohama geolander A/T
only the spare tire has some thread in it

Old 3rd March 2008, 17:27   #29
BANNED

Oh thats better. Thanks.
Old 3rd March 2008, 19:02   #30

Quote:
Looks like it is more show and no go, sump guard too low(if its the sump guard that is, looks more like horn holder lol). Tyres are for street use, take her offroad with those on and you will spin them on a 1% incline.
I agree Spitfire... But not all Jeeps are used by their owners for off-roading.
Every Jeep owner makes some compromises. Some for economy, some for looks, some for everyday utility;

I feel the moment a Jeep is fitted with alloy wheels and radial tires, a good deal of 4x4 capability is gone. A MM Classic with alloy wheels and radials, would perform far better off the road with normal wheel discs and 7.00 x 16' NDMS tires. Here we compromise off-road ability for looks and tarmac handling.

-Anand

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks