Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2008, 16:36   #16
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post

If you have thrist for 4wd its not late, pick up a old jeep and put it to 4wdriving!! Use it as a pickup, off roader, transport people & do it what ever.
The 207 drove well and has a flat bed of nearly 8 feet which I need to carry my VFR when travelling.

Saw the Xenon from Tata at the Auto Expo, looked great. It'll have the old Safari DiCOR engine though. Will drive it when launched and consider
Old 5th March 2008, 17:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

How do you manage the vehicle when its trying to cross slush in a clay soil kind of environment? Also i got a mahindra international at home. There are two gear knobs for activating the 4wd
One of them i think is the high torque and the other is the low torque
So how do we know which one should be engaged when?
Old 5th March 2008, 21:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is not an RD,man.
Quote:
One is for selecting RWD or 4WD. The other is to select low / high gearing.
Old 13th March 2008, 16:04   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
How do you manage the vehicle when its trying to cross slush in a clay soil kind of environment? Also i got a mahindra international at home. There are two gear knobs for activating the 4wd
TATA 207 2wd is difficult in slushy conditions. You have to build up momentum do cross such a patch. And also, the 3L engine is a little difficult to agree with on inclines(I hope I am not offending the owners, But these facts are based on pratical experiences).
In regards to the two 'Gear Knobs'. The taller one out of the two is for sfifting into 4WD from 2WD and the shorter one is for high and low functions.
Simply put, when you require additional traction, that is the time you use the taller lever and when you need a lower ratio, that is the time you use the smaller lever(alongwith the taller one). To rephrase the above, engaging taller lever is moving from 2H to 4H and also using the shorter one means shifting into 4L.
Old 13th March 2008, 17:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

DKG, yet another naish thread. Good pointsfrom you. hmm, had a small taste of the same when i went OTR with arka and his merry men some weekends back.

Good fun, but I'd personally get a good 40HP KTM and let loose - its another thing that it'll be costlier than a 4wd jeep For chotu timepass thingies, the pulsar's done well.
Old 13th March 2008, 23:53   #21
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
DKG, yet another naish thread. Good pointsfrom you. hmm, had a small taste of the same when i went OTR with arka and his merry men some weekends back.

Good fun, but I'd personally get a good 40HP KTM and let loose - its another thing that it'll be costlier than a 4wd jeep For chotu timepass thingies, the pulsar's done well.
I can imagine the thrill of a KTM. Just that when you are heading toward the wrong side of 40 not sure if the back can take that hammering
Old 18th March 2008, 16:15   #22
BHPian

Informative Write Up

Dear DKG,

Its a very informative write up, includes the essentials of using 4x4 and overall prudence that should go into off roading

Shams
Old 27th September 2009, 21:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I can imagine the thrill of a KTM. Just that when you are heading toward the wrong side of 40 not sure if the back can take that hammering
I'd prefer the KTM any day... at any age. The suspension on any of the dirt bikes is a million times better than on any jeep. I can safely say the back is going to be far happier on a dirt bike when compared to a jeep.

But then, why are we comparing 4wd to a 1wd?
Old 27th September 2009, 22:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Pure coincidence I was reading the below owner manual from a 1963 CJ3B, (posted on CJ3B page, film dot queensu dot ca)
Attached Images

Old 27th September 2009, 23:15   #25
Team-BHP Support

Very interesting page Santosh, thank you for sharing. The item If you stall might have helped me in Sakleshpur, but I don't know whether it can work with 4+1 gearbox. But I am going to try it out.
Old 28th September 2009, 09:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Very interesting page Santosh, thank you for sharing. The item If you stall might have helped me in Sakleshpur, but I don't know whether it can work with 4+1 gearbox. But I am going to try it out.
The only thing 'our' jeeps lack IS the top right for reverse shift. If I recollect, there is no 'locker' mechanism to engage the Reverse in the R-1-2-3 gearbox.
unfortunately it is nearly impossible to QUICK-shift to R in case of the sakleshpur-final-climb.

PS - I am wondering if a handbrake would have been of any additional assistance for you CJ in that situation since the 4 drums were soggy...??
Old 28th September 2009, 09:28   #27
Team-BHP Support

That page scan you have posted, I am wondering about that. It has somehow managed to summarize the most important points of 4x4 driving into just 2 pages in a very simple language. It is really amazing when you think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
PS - I am wondering if a handbrake would have been of any additional assistance for you CJ in that situation since the 4 drums were soggy...??
That handbrake is taking longer than ----- to materialize.
Old 9th October 2009, 21:42   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
DKG,

I understand 207DI fits your requirement perfectly, but no 4wd is a big price to pay!! If a single cab was required u could have picked up Bolero flat bed with power steering and 4wd. I know what the dealer would say" you get 4wd only in maxx pik up with no P/S" but you could have tried. Another option would have been Tempo Trax Cargo. At least on the site they mention that they offer single cabs with 4wd and power steering on demand.
You missed out something... Tata Telcoline Twin Cab 4x4. My friend bought it and I have driven it for almost 1000 Km on road and off the road too. It has 90 BHP 1900cc turbo engine. Except torque, ground clearance, everything else is good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks