Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2008, 14:36   #61
Team-BHP Support

I am basically worried about this part, this falls right at the middle of the underbody from where breakover angle is measured.

I am afraid these circled parts may not exactly skid at lower speeds, instead may stop the GV cold in the tracks.

Grand Vitara gets custom made skid plates-266330126_z5wgkl.jpg

The closeup look from the side, it is taking away nearly 3 inches from the chassis level.

Grand Vitara gets custom made skid plates-p3150549.jpg

This Sunday I scraped this part while driving on NH-17 right in front of NIT-K. It feels odd to have bottom scraping in GV on National highway, that was the first time ever.
Old 25th March 2008, 15:18   #62
Team-BHP Support

Those brackets are way way too big, Can you opt for smaller brakets on the same skid plates, I guess you could get back 15-18mm of GC
Old 26th March 2008, 09:44   #63
BHPian

Just went through this thread. Great pictorials and detailed narration, right from the research to execution. I also saw your birthday offroading thread. The mounting brackets are indeed looking huge. Perhaps you might consider flatter brackets. Those would surely have allowed you to get past that last ridge on your off road exercise.

In any case, its better to be safe than have your machine scrape its way to trouble.
Old 6th April 2008, 08:58   #64
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics Sharat, A job well researched and done. Now the questions:

1. Did u manage to break the stock skid plates? If not then why did you opt to increase the weight.

2. Have you tried the obstacle both ways..i.e forward as well as reverse. Does the plate scoop dirt either way, you might need to look at a slight modification there then.

Amazing that you got the Maruti A.S.S to do this..Saves you the trouble eh?

Will read more about your other thread and get back..

Great Job and CONGRATS..Welcome to Kelambakkam..we'll put it against the Gyspsies and Mahindras..
Old 6th April 2008, 09:41   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Samurai, I feel that the bolts which hold the plates in place can be moved to less exposed places.

Right now, these are placed in such a way that they protrude the most. While the 4-5 mm extra reduction in GC doesnt matter since they are few & far, they will take the brunt of any scrapes. While in soft /muddy conditions this will not be a problem. But on rocky surfaces, it will make a small difference - differences that can add up.
Old 29th April 2008, 21:35   #66
Team-BHP Support

I finally got to pay the bill today. The material (aluminium sheet + brackets) plus labour changes came to Rs.13,000 in total.

And we are redesigning the central bracket to recover the lost breakover angle. Instead of inverted U, we will use U bracket like in this picture.
Grand Vitara gets custom made skid plates-90.jpg
That way the rear plates can be lifted up almost 3 inches.
Old 29th April 2008, 21:44   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

The way the plates are currently mounted gives a very flat under-belly. While this may look logically good, I suggest you try sticking to the original contours (if that is the right word in this context) of the GV's under-side.

Just to make it a little clearer - let the center section (along the exhaust pipe & cat con) have a lower GC. But get as much GC as you can on either side of it, by skipping those brackets, or having a smaller bracket on which the plates are mounted.

This will mean more pieces of skid-plates, but may be worth it.
Old 26th June 2008, 01:17   #68
BHPian

Really Really slick!
Hats off to you for
1. Thinking of getting this done. Only goes to show how much you love your GV
2. Finding the time and the means to get this done. Most of us would have given up on the thought of hassles of getting these imported. I know I would have if I had the GV.

Please accept a new found admiration and respect towards you. cheers:

On a different note, any major negative reports so far other than the few niggles you've already reported.

Cheers!
M2S
Old 27th June 2008, 11:33   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2speed View Post
Please accept a new found admiration and respect towards you. cheers:
I humbly accept, and I would like to thank the academy.. I mean Team-BHP for giving me the knowledge and support to take up this endeavor and yada yada yada...

Seriously, it was quite a rush to get something done like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2speed View Post
On a different note, any major negative reports so far other than the few niggles you've already reported.
Nothing so far, still awaiting the local M.A.S.S to get free enough work on the redesign project. It will hopefully happen in July according to latest report.

Last edited by Samurai : 27th June 2008 at 11:37.
Old 27th June 2008, 12:04   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Seriously, it was quite a rush to get something done like this.
I would suggest getting the 2nd sword as well on the profile picture

Quote:
Nothing so far, still awaiting the local M.A.S.S to get free enough work on the redesign project. It will hopefully happen in July according to latest report
I'll put your middle name as "adventure"
Old 28th June 2008, 22:04   #71
Senior - BHPian

good job man, even i am planning this for my gypsy..
Old 4th August 2008, 15:30   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Inspired by samurai and this thread did a custom skid plate job on a GV - not mine yet - and the plates came out nicely without much compromise in ride height/clearance.

First picture is showing bare engine side view and second with skid plate mounted.

Without Skid Plates
Grand Vitara gets custom made skid plates-rdpics-022.jpg

With Skid Plates
Grand Vitara gets custom made skid plates-rdpics-026.jpg

There were three plates in all. Engine, left side tank and joint and right side tank.

Grand Vitara gets custom made skid plates-rdpics-025.jpg

The left side plate had also to take care of the drive saft and protect tank at the back.

Grand Vitara gets custom made skid plates-rdpics-023.jpg

Grand Vitara gets custom made skid plates-rdpics-029.jpg

The right side one just gave added protection to tank. Note the tank already comes with some protection.

Grand Vitara gets custom made skid plates-rdpics-024.jpg

Grand Vitara gets custom made skid plates-rdpics-028.jpg

All work was done at Service Masters Motor Craft Noida. The chequered sheets were used as they exhibit better strength and resist tear (think sharp edged stones) more than plain sheet.

This vehicle (with four adults and luggage) is going do Delhi-Manali-Leh-Srinagar-Delhi route starting tomorrow and the owner was particular about getting this done as last time in the Raid his only ostensible reason (as if he needed one) to drop about was citing a punctured tank - despite having a tank guard on his Baleno. I know Raid is tough and the member felt cheated of not having made it to night halt where the raid was ultimately aborted.

So once he is back I would post some more pictures. And i am sure he has read this too - as he is amember here - so drive safely. ;-)

Last edited by tsk1979 : 4th August 2008 at 15:58. Reason: Merging separate skid plate posts into single.
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2008, 16:02   #73
Team-BHP Support

Wow! great job sudev. You have learnt from my mistakes, right thing to do. My massive brackets were causing more trouble than help. What about the transfer case, car-con and resonator, it doesn't look covered.

Incidently, I got the rear/middle skid plates and the brackets removed two days back. Now I only have two plates in the front. The lowered middle part was hitting speedbumps while on full load and scraping during pot-hole riding.

I was standing under the GV for nearly 30 minutes studying the next design and I think now I know how to cover the transfer case without using a bracket. Neet to discuss with Mr.Kamath when I meet him next.
Old 4th August 2008, 16:06   #74
Senior - BHPian

Samurai.., that is an excellent job. Makes an already great vehicle much better!!

One suggestion. Try getting some Hexagon Socket Head Bolts... Something like this.

Name:  socketbutton.gif
Views: 4122
Size:  2.1 KB or Name:  socketflat.gif
Views: 4136
Size:  2.0 KB

They should have 2 advantages:
1) They will raise the GC slightly, and wont get struck to anything while you offroad.
2) They are easy to tighten and loosen even after years of wear,tear & corrosion, much easier that normal bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
1. Did you use rubber washers to stabilize the bolts. If not you are looking at rattles every few weeks.
If you decide to use Rubber Washers, PM me the size you need and I ll courier you some good quality ones.
AbhiJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2008, 16:13   #75
Team-BHP Support

Sudev, did you forget to make service holes in the skid plates? If not they have to remove the skid plates for even changing oil. Also it is better to have some holes to clean debris, better air circulation for cooling and reduction of weight.

AbhiJ, the bolts have held up very well. After 4 months I didn't see a single broken/loose bolt. Flush mount bolts weaken the plates at mounting points, that is why I am not keen on it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks