Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2008, 16:21   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Good point about oil change holes. BUT having learned from rallying experience I feel it is better to take out the plate by loosening four bolts than risk leaving a hole. But in any case the car is on way to Leh as we discuss. So what ever we will know once they are back.
Old 13th September 2008, 10:32   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
This vehicle (with four adults and luggage) is going do Delhi-Manali-Leh-Srinagar-Delhi route starting tomorrow and the owner was particular about getting this done as last time in the Raid his only ostensible reason (as if he needed one) to drop about was citing a punctured tank - despite having a tank guard on his Baleno. I know Raid is tough and the member felt cheated of not having made it to night halt where the raid was ultimately aborted.

So once he is back I would post some more pictures. And i am sure he has read this too - as he is amember here - so drive safely. ;-)
Sudev, you never posted the reviews for this skid plates job, how did it perform on the Leh trip?
Old 13th September 2008, 11:26   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Apologies...will collect pictures and post.
Verbally i was told that GV survived (in hands of a rather punishing driver who is also on these forums I believe) the trip and he was rather thankful that he had the skid plates else...
Old 15th September 2008, 12:48   #79
NIP
Senior - BHPian

i somehow missed this thread completely !!! amazing effort and fantastic job samurai ! gotta hand it to you and your enthusiasm true off roader you are !
Old 17th September 2008, 11:53   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

The first two pictures are from front. All skid plates are mounted using existing mount points.

Chequered aluminum plates are are better as they withstand bending more and as told by dealer are actually an alloy and have more strength. For the rear protection two skid plates were made for each side of the camel-saddle fuel tank.

All the pictures including one showing what a fun it was to drive in one of the highest dunes in the world!!

PS: Samruai why the forum software not provide for inline commentary?
Attached Images

sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2008, 12:34   #81
Team-BHP Support

sudev, forum software does provide for inline commentry. Look at all travelogues!
All you have to do is remember the sequence you posted the attachments in.
The announcements section clearly describes how to do this
Old 28th September 2008, 13:54   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Since I was heading out to Leh next week I also got under body protection fitted on my GRV.

Grand Vitara gets custom made skid plates-100_1718.jpg
Grand Vitara gets custom made skid plates-100_1719.jpg

Surprisingly the lowest ground clearance is from the exhaust but this is not protected as I feel at worst I will get some holes in the system but will not be a car grounding event. No difference in the GC under the engine vis the original plastic cover.
Grand Vitara gets custom made skid plates-100_1716.jpg

Last edited by sudev : 28th September 2008 at 13:59.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2008, 23:47   #83
Team-BHP Support

Sudev, looks like you are using 3mm checkered aluminium sheets. The fit and finish is much better than mine, may be because the 3mm sheet is easy to bend.

What about the transfer case, I don't see protection for transfer case. Can I get close up shots of the rear plates.
Old 29th September 2008, 07:54   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

@Samurai - The pictures of the first GV show that the transfer case is protected by the engine plate itself. I will post my vehicle pictures but that may be after I am back from Raid-De-Himalaya.

Last edited by sudev : 29th September 2008 at 07:55.
Old 30th September 2008, 17:12   #85
BHPian

@sudev - Is it possible to get some basic skid plates installed in a WagonR ?

Planning on a Leh trip next year, so was thinking of getting some underbody protection. Would appreciate if you can throw some light and the approx cost.
Old 9th October 2008, 18:24   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

@Shakensoul : Why not. I got mine done at MotorCraft, Sahibabad. Or you can head for Performance in Sec2 NOIDA.
Old 9th October 2008, 21:30   #87
BHPian

Quote:
@Shakensoul : Why not. I got mine done at MotorCraft, Sahibabad. Or you can head for Performance in Sec2 NOIDA.
Thanks. Performance Auto as in below ?

http://www.performanceauto.in/intro.asp

Which one do you recommend for a cost effective solution ?
Old 25th October 2008, 11:12   #88
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio has only one skid plate made of hard plastic. I spoke to my FNG and was told that one in iron sheet of 18" or 20" gauge can be fabricated.

Your take on this and any other input??

Quote:
Old 25th October 2008, 12:32   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

@Samurai: Chequered are not easier in bending but due to surface patter generally have more strength and resist distorting.

@gd1418: I would advise against iron sheet. Too much weight and 18 gauge (I think it is <2mm) would be too thin. Aluminum is lighter and relatively easier to bend and manipulate. One or more depends on your intended use and vehicles "weak" points that you would like covered. Plastics sheets are more for wind and noise reduction than protection.
Old 26th October 2008, 10:13   #90
BHPian

Quote:
The fitup quality of your skidplates look really good. The installer did a very professional job.
Can you post an address and contact number for MotorCraft, Sahibabad.
Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks