Old 3rd April 2008, 09:17   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Lamda Components
B-101, Veerasandra Industrial Estate
Hosur Road, Bangalore 560 100
Call: 080 7834118 Fax 080 7831078
lamdacomponents [at] vsnl [dot] com

You can ask for Mr Arun or Mr Prasanna. Tell them you were referred by the chap who came by with the Black MM540 Jeep with KL registration. He probably doesn't remember my name.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2008, 10:32   #17
sat
BHPian

many thanks... 4x4addict, will call them and order
Old 3rd April 2008, 12:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

hi
coming back to the free wheeling hub topic, does the hub really helps in improving fuel efficiency and top speed and reduce steering effort or is it just in theory?
Old 3rd April 2008, 12:47   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
hi
coming back to the free wheeling hub topic, does the hub really helps in improving fuel efficiency and top speed and reduce steering effort or is it just in theory?
It probably won't make a huge difference, but given that it does take some energy to spin the front diff/axles/shaft etc, it has got to same some milage and improve the pick up.
Old 3rd April 2008, 16:29   #20
Team-BHP Support

Here is the best description I have seen on locking hubs.

locking hubs - to lock or not to lock, how to use manual locking hubs
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2008, 11:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hi
I think the improvement in fuel efficiency/handling due to the use of hub-locks will be very minimal.

One situation where I feel hub-locks will be useful is when we need to use the low-gear in 2WD mode : for eg. in a steep incline of hard surface (tar road or cement road), we can engage the 4L and disengage the hub-lock to tackle it. Without the hub-lock, we need to engage the low-gear in 4WD mode, which will cause drive-line damage.
Old 7th April 2008, 11:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I think the improvement in fuel efficiency/handling due to the use of hub-locks will be very minimal.

One situation where I feel hub-locks will be useful is when we need to use the low-gear in 2WD mode : for eg. in a steep incline of hard surface (tar road or cement road), we can engage the 4L and disengage the hub-lock to tackle it. Without the hub-lock, we need to engage the low-gear in 4WD mode, which will cause drive-line damage.

True, But this has to be used with lot of deligence or else it may damage the rear axle, drive shaft due to overloading. The purpose of built in lock preventing from shifting to 2wd LOW in T18 will be defeated in that case.
But the feature what you suggested must be used with deligence in some towing conditions.
Old 7th April 2008, 12:04   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Hi Blue Thunder,

I have actually had to use 4L a number of times in my first CJ500 just for the power and not necessarily for the four wheel drive. If you guys remember the days when when the CJ500 used to have 38 bhp or something like that. The jeep would not pull on steep inclines with full load in some of the estate roads. I would have to shift into 4L just for the lower gearing rather than for the four wheel drive. I knew it was bad, but did't have much of a choice.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2008, 12:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
...The jeep would not pull on steep inclines with full load in some of the estate roads. I would have to shift into 4L just for the lower gearing rather than for the four wheel drive...
exactly the kind of situation I was referring to ......but as vinod_nookala has pointed out, it has to be done with caution, to avoid overloading the rear axle.
Old 10th April 2008, 11:32   #25
BHPian

Quote:
hi
In theory, the free wheeling hub has to make the vehicle more fuel efficient.
Practically, I feel there's hardly any difference in the average figures.

There is no resistance felt while using either of the vehicles(both Gypsies and Mahindras).

Logically, one should not be using a LOW on 2WD. I have encountered case where the rear axle has given away as already discussed in the forum. (This happened in a Tea Estate where more power was required to take on an incline and the driver, due to lethargy of getting out and engaging the locks from outside, just carried on with 2L and mid of the incline the shaft gave way!)

There is another practical problem in driving a jeepwith free wheeling hubs; there are times when one is moving in 2H and his jeep gets stuck in slush or snow. He may not be in a position to get down to engage the same due the conditions outside(It could be Knee high slush or biting cold where in one wouldnot like to touch any kind of metal or even worse, there could be no place outside to get down and lock the hubs!)

Secondly, once I had got stuck on DCB in my Mahindra in intense rains.The rquirement was to engage the free wheeling hubs in this case. We got down to do the needful, but the locks wouldn't budge in the rotational direction! At this time I realised that the front wheels required a little moment for the ratchets to engage inside the hub. We manage to get a tractor in that and towed the jeep. The moment the front wheels moved, we could lock the hubs and move on our own. But by the time we finished the adventure, we had lost a lot of time stuck there, we were drenched and cold plus we were covered with slush. The brighter side of the entire episode is that the weather being inclement, the Pakis could not spot me otherwise we would have been sitting ducks for them.

Nowadays, both the Gypsy and Mahindra are with out the hassle of locking the hubs from outside has been negated. That is one good thing to happen in circumstance when the requirement is called upon of using 4H or 4L.
susan3004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2008, 13:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
...I had got stuck on DCB in my Mahindra in intense rains.....
DCB ??? what does it stand for ?
Old 10th April 2008, 14:18   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
I

There is another practical problem in driving a jeepwith free wheeling hubs; there are times when one is moving in 2H and his jeep gets stuck in slush or snow. He may not be in a position to get down to engage the same due the conditions outside(It could be Knee high slush or biting cold where in one wouldnot like to touch any kind of metal or even worse, there could be no place outside to get down and lock the hubs!)
Thankfully, I don't see myself getting into this situation in Bangalore . But if I am going off the beaten track, I will make sure that I engage them when I leave my house.

Regarding your issue about the free wheeling lock getting stuck. I saw the internals of the lock in the factory and figure this could happen. The reason being that the lock has groves that match the axle spindle. So if they are not aligned you cannot engage the lock. But the spindles are only about 1/4 inch thick so you only need to move the wheels a little while trying to engage the lock. Lamda gives a sticker that recommends engaging the hubs for a kilometer atleast once a month.
Old 10th April 2008, 14:24   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
ditch-cum-bundh (DCB)

usage example in
DRDO::Materials

Last edited by bblost : 10th April 2008 at 14:25. Reason: example
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2008, 15:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:
DCB stands for Ditch cum Bund.

It is a defence dug out in ground so that enemy armour(tanks) and infantry are hindered coming on to our defences.

It is a man made creation which runs almost parallel to the IB in Jammu, Punjab and Rajasthan areas.

It gives an advantage to us in having cover of both enemy fire and observation.

DCB may be divided into two major parts, ie, the ditch which is full of water and the bund which has got loopholes for observation and a track on top for vehicular movement. RCL jeeps prominently use this track.

In the photograph, the mound behind the Gypsy is the bund, and we are crossing through of the gaps between the bund from where the water flows in the ditch.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambda Free Wheeling Front Hubs for Jeeps-img_5723.jpg  

susan3004 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2008, 15:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for clarifying , bblost and susan3004 !

Most Viewed