Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2012, 19:26   #181

AISIN Free wheel hubs for Gypsy

Please could anyone help where Free wheel Hubs made by AISIN be available for a Gypsy 413w. They used to be in earlier Gypsy's in the front wheels to disengage the wheels when using rear drive. I head they are available second hand (1500-2000 a pair)in Delhi (Mayapuri), but would they be available in bangalore?

Secondly, can they be used in the rear wheels too. I do know they are typically usedin front wheels of a 4x4, but I have an application that I am working on that requires the rear wheels to free wheel sometimes and therefore not spin the differential/driveshaft/transfercase etc.

Please help.
PP
Old 24th June 2012, 21:49   #182
Senior - BHPian

Re: AISIN Free wheel hubs for Gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
Secondly, can they be used in the rear wheels too. I do know they are typically usedin front wheels of a 4x4, but I have an application that I am working on that requires the rear wheels to free wheel sometimes and therefore not spin the differential/driveshaft/transfercase etc.

Please help.
PP
I doubt you can install the same in the rear of the MG410/3..AFAIK the construction of the front and rear axles are different.
Old 25th June 2012, 10:43   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
Hi Gadgetman,

The FWH can be used only in a Full-Floating Assembly, where the Axle is connected to the hub via a flange/milling. This is replaced by a selectable Flange i.e FWH.

In a Semi-Floating Axle the Axle is directly bolted to the Hub i.e FWD Cars, Gypsy Rear Axle, Thar CRDe Rear Axle, older JEEPs.

And the Wheel Bearing is situated on the Axle Tube, instead of the Hub.

In the above case there is no provision to put a selectable Flange i.e FWH.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2012, 14:30   #184
BHPian

Hello gentlemen,
A list of queries please

What is the dis/ advantages of Auto locking hubs over Lambda free wheeling hubs?
Does Auto hubs engage automatically when we shift to 4H/4L & vice-versa?

What is the cost of both these types?

& finally: Is Scorpio/ Thar CRDe auto hubs direct fit for Thar DI / Bolero?
Old 29th June 2012, 14:57   #185
Senior - BHPian

re: Lambda Free Wheeling Front Hubs for Jeeps

Where in Mumbai can I get a Pair for my Gypsy 413? Does anyone also know a source for the Aisin hubs in Mumbai? Thanks
Old 30th June 2012, 19:36   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac
Hello gentlemen,
A list of queries please

What is the dis/ advantages of Auto locking hubs over Lambda free wheeling hubs?
Does Auto hubs engage automatically when we shift to 4H/4L & vice-versa?

What is the cost of both these types?

& finally: Is Scorpio/ Thar CRDe auto hubs direct fit for Thar DI / Bolero?
After reading this whole thread & searching on net I kinda figured out most of the stuff.
So as per my understanding Auto locking hubs are good choice if one wants to negate the shortcomings of Manual hubs. But its price is a bit on the higher side. (Close to 11-12k? Almost double)
Old 4th July 2012, 06:01   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Gadgetman,

The FWH can be used only in a Full-Floating Assembly, where the Axle is connected to the hub via a flange/milling. This is replaced by a selectable Flange i.e FWH.

In a Semi-Floating Axle the Axle is directly bolted to the Hub i.e FWD Cars, Gypsy Rear Axle, Thar CRDe Rear Axle, older JEEPs.

And the Wheel Bearing is situated on the Axle Tube, instead of the Hub.

In the above case there is no provision to put a selectable Flange i.e FWH.

Regards,

Arka
I have got the free wheeling hubs ,but they are lying idle as I couldnot procure the circular clip to secure the inner unit of the free wheeling hubs.
I need to know that can i go for the installation without the circular clip.

regards
praveen singh
Old 19th July 2012, 19:54   #188

My Scorpio Getaway has developed a problem with its auto FWH. When engaged and turning left it makes a loud clanging sound. India Garage haven't a clue and have recommended changing the left fide hub costing 17500/- for one . Does any one know the make of the OEM? It seems to be a minor problem can it be fixed? Any suggestions?
Old 25th April 2013, 00:55   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Its very easy. Mr.DB is not required for this. Infact its a DIY job if you know how to remove a circlip and put it back using nose player. Even a road side mechanic will fix it. You just have to remind him to use the circlip.
and to feel the difference you can just lock the hubs and it is same as if you have not installed the FWH.
Star_Aqua, it would be a big help if you can list down the steps to install the hubs on a CJ-3B!

I did not find the steps, and the diagram also, in the brochure too useful and, in one of the earlier posts, I saw someone else getting confused as well (he was talking about the circlip I believe..I also want to know if that circlip is already there or will I need to procure it?).

I saw pics by Khan Sultan (Gypsy it was, right?) and I could see that the wheel was first removed and then the FWH were installed. Now, many people have said in their posts that putting the hubs would be a 10-min affair (each side) and that it is just a bolt-on job, so I was wondering whether the hubs can be bolted on without removing the wheels?

Would be really thankful if others can pitch in as well. AND FRIENDS, PLEASE DO NOT SUGGEST THAT I SHOULD GET IT DONE BY A MECHANIC AS I REALLY WISH TO DO IT ON MY OWN.

PS: I manged to fix the drive-shaft back by myself yesterday (the rear cross-joint had broken) and took a test drive today to find it running smoothly maashaallah! I had asked questions about it a few days earlier in "All questions on a 3B.." thread and Shubz and DesertFox had come to my rescue; I thank you again fellas!
Old 11th June 2013, 16:54   #190
BHPian

Hi Boys

I am in need of a pair of manual FWH for bolero 4wd.

Is Lamda the only choice or is there any other option?

Cheers
W_C
Old 11th June 2013, 17:15   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild child View Post
Hi Boys

I am in need of a pair of manual FWH for bolero 4wd.

Is Lamda the only choice or is there any other option?

Cheers
W_C
you could also go with Rugged Ridge hubs. Get in touch with Nitin/Sumit who could help you procure the same. This is slightly expensive than the Lambda.
Old 11th June 2013, 18:12   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeClutch 4X4 View Post
you could also go with Rugged Ridge hubs. Get in touch with Nitin/Sumit who could help you procure the same. This is slightly expensive than the Lambda.
Any pics? Advantages over Lamba? And are there any auto hub locks like in the new Mahindra THAR CRDe ?

Cheers
Old 11th June 2013, 18:21   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer.fernande View Post
My Scorpio Getaway has developed a problem with its auto FWH. When engaged and turning left it makes a loud clanging sound. India Garage haven't a clue and have recommended changing the left fide hub costing 17500/- for one . Does any one know the make of the OEM? It seems to be a minor problem can it be fixed? Any suggestions?
Hi Fernande,

IIRC the Hub Lock of the 4wd Scorpio and Safari & TharCRDe are the same.

For emergency you can carry a pair of Sumo Front Axle (Stub Axle for 2WD)Flanges.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 19:12   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Any pics? Advantages over Lamba? And are there any auto hub locks like in the new Mahindra THAR CRDe ?

Cheers
One major advantage,they don't come off unlike Lambda known for longer life span with minimal maintenance (greasing) and three years warranty.

you might have read about FWH falling off or getting lost enroute to OTR venue by many Tbhpians

will upload pictures later on reaching home, still at office
DeClutch 4X4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 00:02   #195
BHPian

Hello, I have a very basic question, I know it may sound naive, but I want to understand this. I have been using my jeep for sometime now and dread engaging the 4wd. Because I am just unable to disengage it. Most of the times , it's just by fluke that it disengages. Mine is a single lever 4*4

I would like to understand the mechanism of how to disengage it? I have lambda free wheeling hubs, please advice? what gear the jeep should be in, if anyone has the gear knob pictures as my stick doesn't show the gear directions? thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks