Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2009, 20:26   #76
Senior - BHPian

@bigman
Its always advisable to go for new free wheeling hubs, but even old ones are available for 1.5k a pair. Easily in mayapuri
Old 1st March 2009, 20:37   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
@bigman
Its always advisable to go for new free wheeling hubs, but even old ones are available for 1.5k a pair. Easily in mayapuri
Are Lambda the best that are easily available ?

Which ones do the army use ? and can these be bought new ?
Old 1st March 2009, 22:57   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Lambda is the only indian make available and the OE fitment for the Army MM540 and gypsy. If you have sources you can import a Warn unit. Search and Ram has posted the Warn model number in one of the threads on team-bhp.
Old 1st March 2009, 23:14   #79
Senior - BHPian

Thanks 4x4adict.

Found the post by Ram : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/635607-post47.html .

They are about $140+shipping form USA. I will try the Lambda ones and get Warn if the Lambda are found wanting.

Last edited by bigman : 1st March 2009 at 23:18.
Old 3rd March 2009, 17:00   #80
BHPian

Lamda Hubs

Hi All
Can we get these lamda hub locks in Pune ? and where?
Old 3rd March 2009, 17:10   #81
Senior - BHPian

The chap in Delhi has now upped his price to RS3000 a pair.
Old 3rd March 2009, 23:59   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
They aren't. The MM550XD I am rebuilding has manual locking hubs, and I did not find the locking mechanism very reassuring. It is prone to wear and quite sensitine to dirt.

If one manages to get dirt into them, the hubs tend to stick in the open position. Alway carry an allen key to open the cover just in case.
Strongly Recommend to NEVER open the free wheeling hub mechanism, as its build around a a sophisticated interlocking of hub base,2 springs, harness plate, connecting shaft and the enclosure cover.
It once happened that the AISIN ones on my gypsy had to be greased and afterwards was a problem for mechanic to put it back.
So avoid touching it at all costs, better keep the original locker plates as a backup measure.
Regards
Old 4th March 2009, 01:10   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
Strongly Recommend to NEVER open the free wheeling hub mechanism, as its build around a a sophisticated interlocking of hub base,2 springs, harness plate, connecting shaft and the enclosure cover.
It once happened that the AISIN ones on my gypsy had to be greased and afterwards was a problem for mechanic to put it back.
So avoid touching it at all costs, better keep the original locker plates as a backup measure.
Regards
Spark,
Wrong recommendation. Although freewheeling hubs require almost no regular maintenance, it is recommended to check for water ingress after water fording or any other situation where the hubs might be submerged under water/slush.
There is no other way of servicing it without removing the cap.

I agree that the reassembly process is indeed tricky but if you look at it closely during assembly and dissasembly and understand the basic principle of actuation, it is not rocket science either.

If your mechanic had trouble putting it back, it means he was not qualified/knowledgeable about the process. FYI, I run free wheeling hubs in my Gypsy and service them every 20,000 kms, when my front wheel hubs are regreased and seals changed. No trouble so far.

Cheers
Old 4th March 2009, 10:17   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
Regards
It is not complex, infact the Lambda ones are a bit crude. Try dismantling auto locking hubs if you want complexity.
Old 9th March 2009, 11:25   #85
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have picked up a Gypsy 410 . It does not have a free whel hub.

I use it regularly in Blore city and on week ends take it offroading.

I drive it on 2WD in town but use the 4h when ofroading.

Is it advisable to get a free wheel hub.

Could it be the reason why my engin gets extra hot when i go slow in city traffic and cools down hen i go on high ways due to more air flow.

Would it make much of a difference to the milage or pickup.

please advise
Old 13th March 2009, 14:28   #86
BHPian

Lambda Contact Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Lamda Components
B-101, Veerasandra Industrial Estate
Hosur Road, Bangalore 560 100
Call: 080 7834118 Fax 080 7831078
lamdacomponents [at] vsnl [dot] com

You can ask for Mr Arun or Mr Prasanna. Tell them you were referred by the chap who came by with the Black MM540 Jeep with KL registration. He probably doesn't remember my name.
As I tried contacting Lambda, I figured out that the direct line given above should be 080 2783 4118.

Also, Arun's mobile number should be 93438 70011 (it was mis-typed in one of the previous posts).

The latest price is 2,750 + tax = 3,350/- installed for free if you take it to their facility at Electronic City.
Old 13th March 2009, 22:47   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanavar View Post
installed for free if you take it to their facility at Electronic City.
Don't bother driving all the way to Electronic City. Just ask Arun@Lambda to deliver it to your home/office address. Regarding fitting, just follow the instructions, you can do it yourself like I did. Since I stay close by, I wouldn't mind fitting them on your Jeep
Old 8th June 2009, 17:30   #88
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys
My 550 came with Free Wheeling Hubs FWH's as standard when I bought it. However the CJ3B doesn't have FWH and I was thinking of adding them. So will like to know if the FWH that come on the 550 same that goes onto the CJ3B. If yes I might buy them from Mayapuri and install them on my CJ3B.
Old 8th June 2009, 20:55   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys
My 550 came with Free Wheeling Hubs FWH's as standard when I bought it. However the CJ3B doesn't have FWH and I was thinking of adding them. So will like to know if the FWH that come on the 550 same that goes onto the CJ3B. If yes I might buy them from Mayapuri and install them on my CJ3B.
The correct term is "locking hubs", just to be precise and so that people will know what you are talking about. These are not to be confused with locking differentials, as some have done here. Samurai has Lamda hubs on his CJ3B. You could search his CJ3B (how to live with....) thread or PM him for exact info.
Old 9th June 2009, 00:41   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Hey Guys
You can confirm this by checking the outer spindles of the front axles of your CJ3B and and MM550. I think they should match, but you may want to verify first.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks