Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2009, 22:01   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Samurai:

When you remove them and put them back, I think you need to set the locked/unlocked position correctly. If I recall this was something that I noticed when mine where being installed.
Old 20th December 2009, 07:49   #107
Team-BHP Support

Now that is it is working fine, I hope I have nothing to worry about. Actually, I didn't unlock the hubs after that. Just left it in locked position.
Old 3rd January 2010, 09:02   #108
Senior - BHPian

My CJ went for a small mechanical checkup yesterday. Since I live in a 2WD district, the mechanic had a tough time putting back the FWH's.
After a good 30mins he figured out how to fix them correctly... Anyways, I took the stock M&M hubs in case he decided to drop the idea of experimenting. It was not needed...
Old 16th January 2010, 20:00   #109
BHPian

The Hub has to be in unlocked position before removing the cap and the fit again in the unlocked position.
Old 19th March 2010, 10:47   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

I got Lamda FWHs installed yesterday! The change in drive is very noticeable. Better pickup and cruising!

Questions:
How do you protect the Hubs? The old classic which had the hubs used to have a screw on type cap on it. Any such options or mods?

What if one hub is locked and one isn't and i drive with it (in 2WD)? Children in my building are notorious and may fiddle while playing hide n seek.
Old 19th March 2010, 21:03   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post

What if one hub is locked and one isn't and i drive with it (in 2WD)? Children in my building are notorious and may fiddle while playing hide n seek.
Having one locked and one open will be equivalent of having both unlocked as power will find the path of least resistance which is the open one. I suggest rubbing chilli power on the hubs so when the kids rub their eyes after playing with your FWHubs it will teach them a lesson not to do it again.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2010, 00:12   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Having one locked and one open will be equivalent of having both unlocked as power will find the path of least resistance which is the open one.
It can have impact on spider gears when driven at high speeds. so don't drive with one hub locked and one open. Also the hub which is not locked can wear out soon as the relative free wheeling speed will double up as axle rotates in opposite direction to the wheel.
star_aqua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2010, 00:22   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.B.Singh View Post
about engaging the locks atleast for a kilometer, once every month?
How about focusing on this very vital bottomline.
With you always............... UBS
Sir, can WD40 do the trick of easing stiff locks in emergencies? I usually have it in all my classics for emergencies and have found the little cans to be of tremendous use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I got Lamda FWHs installed yesterday! The change in drive is very noticeable. Better pickup and cruising!
Doc, i didnt notice any instruction sticker in the box? I guess Prakashbhai should be asked why the important instruction sticker is missing?

How easy/difficult was it to fix?
I plan to run my Jeep for a few days without installing the Lambdas then will swap, just to know the difference. Will probably get it done at Milestone or under Behrambhai's supervision elsewhere.
Old 20th March 2010, 00:39   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Sir, can WD40 do the trick of easing stiff locks in emergencies? I usually have it in all my classics for emergencies and have found the little cans to be of tremendous use.

How easy/difficult was it to fix?
I plan to run my Jeep for a few days without installing the Lambdas then will swap, just to know the difference. Will probably get it done at Milestone or under Behrambhai's supervision elsewhere.
Its very easy. Mr.DB is not required for this. Infact its a DIY job if you know how to remove a circlip and put it back using nose player. Even a road side mechanic will fix it. You just have to remind him to use the circlip.
and to feel the difference you can just lock the hubs and it is same as if you have not installed the FWH.
star_aqua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2010, 19:24   #115
BHPian

Hi,

Please help me to install the free wheeling hub

I got the Lamda free wheeling hub. But my mechanic don't know how to fit that. So I have to do it myself. I am not able to get a clear picture of the installation from the Fitting Instructions from Lamda.

in the Instructions 4th point says "INSERT CIRCLIP on axle shaft" Do we have to buy new sirclip for that or it will be there inside the OEM front hub ?? Please help me

What are those align Marks (instruction no 7)? is they are inside the cover assembly ?

Regards,
Sreejesh M.P
Old 13th April 2010, 20:09   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Hi,

Please help me to install the free wheeling hub

I got the Lamda free wheeling hub. But my mechanic don't know how to fit that. So I have to do it myself. I am not able to get a clear picture of the installation from the Fitting Instructions from Lamda.

in the Instructions 4th point says "INSERT CIRCLIP on axle shaft" Do we have to buy new sirclip for that or it will be there inside the OEM front hub ?? Please help me

What are those align Marks (instruction no 7)? is they are inside the cover assembly ?

Regards,
Sreejesh M.P
Make sure when you put them on that they are in the "FREE" position. I do not remember where the Circlip came from but it is dirt cheap, don't sweat it.

My mechanic had never installed them but he got it right on the second try. He had to align one of them again. So, it was trial and error and the 2nd trial did the trick. It is not hard for a mechanic. Get somebody with some guts to help you. The circlip needs to go on with a pair of thin-nosed, needle-nosed pliers as you have to compress this C-shaped steel clip around the axle at the hub. This is the hard part for people like me with no mechanical ability whatsoever.

If they are installed correctly you will be able to turn the selector switch from "free" to "lock" with little difficulty.

If you want to test your install, jack up both front wheels at the same time and put both hubs on "free". You should be able to rotate the front wheels by hand while observing that each axle does not rotate. Put the selector on "lock" and rotate both wheels. The axles should rotate.
DirtyDan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2010, 17:01   #117
BHPian

Which is better for gypsy : lambda free wheeling hubs or AISIN free wheeling hubs.

Hey guys , im planning to put free wheeling hubs for my gypsy . im confused whether to go for Lambda or AISIN free wheeling hubs.
Old 5th May 2010, 19:05   #118
Team-BHP Support

AISIN if you get one in good condition or new.
Old 5th May 2010, 22:41   #119
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai Price for AISIN new one is 4600/-
Old 6th May 2010, 09:47   #120
BHPian

hmmm ok thanks jaggu sir. I will go for AISIN itself

Last edited by GTO : 21st May 2010 at 20:05. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots..........like...........this..........Thanks

Most Viewed