Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:26   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishbull_6157 View Post
Hello, I have a very basic question, I know it may sound naive, but I want to understand this. I have been using my jeep for sometime now and dread engaging the 4wd. Because I am just unable to disengage it. Most of the times , it's just by fluke that it disengages. Mine is a single lever 4*4

I would like to understand the mechanism of how to disengage it? I have lambda free wheeling hubs, please advice? what gear the jeep should be in, if anyone has the gear knob pictures as my stick doesn't show the gear directions? thanks in advance.
Vish,

Assuming you have driven in low range for a distance and post that when you come on-road you want to disengage you say you are having major issues? Right?

The experienced guys recommend to remain in low range - reverse gear backup a few feet, stop jeep and park it in hand brake or gear, then try to unlock the hubs - it will work 99%.

The cause of the trouble is called axle-windup (Google it).

The freely moving parts under extreme torque of a low range GB end up mashed together and need to be unwound a bit.

Let me know if this helps.

Edit

If it doesn't, open up the fwh, petrol wash and apply a film of gel grease and refit correctly. Constant slush Otr will also contribute to your trouble.

Last edited by svsantosh : 3rd July 2013 at 09:28.
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 14:21   #197
BHPian

re: Lambda Free Wheeling Front Hubs for Jeeps

Hi Santosh, Yes. after i have driven it in 4wd mode, i dont know how to disengage. If you know how the single lever operates, can you please tell me what should be the gear position of the 4*4 lever before i get down to turn the FWH.

I can find only 4low - Neutral - 4high in my 4*4 gear lever, is there any 2high gear ? would you know?
Old 3rd July 2013, 16:55   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishbull_6157 View Post
Hi Santosh, Yes. after i have driven it in 4wd mode, i dont know how to disengage. If you know how the single lever operates, can you please tell me what should be the gear position of the 4*4 lever before i get down to turn the FWH.

I can find only 4low - Neutral - 4high in my 4*4 gear lever, is there any 2high gear ? would you know?
Before disengaging the free-wheeling hub, please ensure that the transfer case is in 2WD mode, there is only one position 2 High.
2WD low is not provided because only the rear axle cannot handle the high torque in low range.
cpbopanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 13:57   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Before disengaging the free-wheeling hub, please ensure that the transfer case is in 2WD mode, there is only one position 2 High.
Thanks Cpbopanna, i figured it out, once i located the 2H, took it front and reverse few times and i could turn the knob easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
The experienced guys recommend to remain in low range - reverse gear backup a few feet, stop jeep and park it in hand brake or gear, then try to unlock the hubs - it will work 99%.
Thanks santosh, It worked. I finally figured it out. Thanks Again

Last edited by Vishbull_6157 : 4th July 2013 at 13:58.
Vishbull_6157 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 13:09   #200
BHPian

Hey Guys Uploading instruction manual for your reference, it may help few members in maintenance of free wheel hubs,
Attached Thumbnails
Lambda Free Wheeling Front Hubs for Jeeps-lamda-instruction.jpg  

Lambda Free Wheeling Front Hubs for Jeeps-lamda-instruction1.jpg  

swastikviji is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 21:33   #201
BHPian

Dear Offroaders Good News From Lamda components, Now They are offering Two Years warranty on all their Range of free wheel Hubs, Any issues about warranty please let me know i will solve it
swastikviji is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2016, 21:45   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
Dear Offroaders Good News From Lamda components, Now They are offering Two Years warranty on all their Range of free wheel Hubs, Any issues about warranty please let me know i will solve it
I'm guessing they wouldn't cover physical damage; Well, I was out of the warranty period anyway:

Lambda Free Wheeling Front Hubs for Jeeps-img_20161105_142959.jpg

Still functions but looks bad (couldn't find the piece that broke off or I'd just re-fit it) and I suppose it'll be more prone to water entry. This had always been my one objection to these vs. the fixed flanges - they protrude out too far, widening the vehicle by a couple inches per side. Admittedly driver error, but I hit this one at maybe 20kmph on a support on a narrow bridge. Could happen on any rocky trail too, I suppose.

I wonder whether the slight bit of extra diesel consumed in turning all the front axle mechanicals - along with all the work I'd have to do related to making sure all my cross-joints were tight enough and my front drive shaft true and well-balanced (none of which is the case presently) - would cost me more or less than a new hub...

The appeal of cheap, durable, simple and non-protruding fixed flanges is increasing. In truth would be nice to not have to get out and lock these every time I needed 4x4, too.

On the flip side, there have been a few times when 2WD low came in handy, a service these hubs can provide. For those running the two-lever Dana/Spicer transfer case, a very small mod can get you 2WD Low, too, in which case the hubs would be redundant (our Marshal's been refitted with the Borg-Warner case though).

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 6th November 2016 at 21:52.
Old 9th January 2022, 13:08   #203

Hi Guru's,

Yesterday I visited my Mechanic and he mentioned the Free Wheel Hubs to me. I am a complete Novice in automobiles and therefore wanted to check a few things here, before I buy one for my Gypsy King.

He has recommended me to buy the Lambda Free Wheel Hub online, primarily as he thinks my Steering is a little hard and this might free it up.

I have been reading about the other benefits as well. So I wouldn't mind picking it up.

A few questions:

1. Is it one standard size for all Vehicles?
2. Is there a Vendor in Hyderabad?
3. If buying online, which is the best option?

Any other advice and pointers are certainly appreciated!

Thanks
Abbas
Old 12th January 2022, 22:20   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindpsyche View Post
Hi Guru's,

Yesterday I visited my Mechanic and he mentioned the Free Wheel Hubs to me. I am a complete Novice in automobiles and therefore wanted to check a few things here, before I buy one for my Gypsy King.

He has recommended me to buy the Lambda Free Wheel Hub online, primarily as he thinks my Steering is a little hard and this might free it up.

I have been reading about the other benefits as well. So I wouldn't mind picking it up.

A few questions:

1. Is it one standard size for all Vehicles?
2. Is there a Vendor in Hyderabad?
3. If buying online, which is the best option?

Any other advice and pointers are certainly appreciated!

Thanks
Abbas
For gypsy, you hv two options, AISIN Or Lamda
Ask for gypsy specific only, it's as per the axle size.
Online, I guess swastikfab are the sellers.

You feel the difference for sure!
Old 13th January 2022, 10:14   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcj3b View Post
For gypsy, you hv two options, AISIN Or Lamda
Ask for gypsy specific only, it's as per the axle size.
Online, I guess swastikfab are the sellers.

You feel the difference for sure!
Thanks, am going for the Lamda!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks