Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2008, 11:29   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
You could explore getting self locking hubs like what my Landcruiser GXR had. Whenever I engaged 4wd they locked automatically. Once out of offroad terrain, all I needed to do after shifting into 2wd was stop, reverse a few meters, and move forward. You heard a clicking sound as the front hubs got unlocked. They are worth it as the 2wd with front drive train immobolised is much smoother on tarmac not to mention better fuel economy. That monster of a SUV gave me 6 kms to a litre on a 4.5 litre engine!
The process you have mentioned here is to lock and unlock the center differential to split 50:50 torque on front and rear,The procedure to unlock it is same in safari and scorpio but on endeavour there is a switch near steering to unlock it.
Old 8th August 2008, 11:34   #47
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The process you have mentioned here is to lock and unlock the center differential to split 50:50 torque on front and rear
No Anshuman to the best of my knowledge there was no centre diff on the part time 4wd of the Landcruiser GXR. This procedure is to free the hubs once you are done with 4wd use.

Central diff appear on full time 4wds like the VXR series or the Lexus 4wd. Those have a electronic centre diff lock.

Last edited by DKG : 8th August 2008 at 11:38.
Old 8th August 2008, 11:49   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
@4x4addict pictures please. You promised us of your free wheeling hubs
Here is a close-up look:
Lambda Free Wheeling Front Hubs for Jeeps-_6055682.jpg
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2008, 21:19   #49
BHPian

Hi Samurai..... Pls note it looks like 1 of the 6 bolts that hold the free wheel hub is missing .... replace if so....

Chengappa

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.
Old 8th August 2008, 23:49   #50
Team-BHP Support

Chengappa, I am aware of it, thanks. I am not able to find that exact bolt.
Old 9th August 2008, 05:54   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Chengappa, I am aware of it, thanks. I am not able to find that exact bolt.
That bold doesn't come with the hub locks. It's the standard one fitted on the jeep so you can buy it from the dealer.
Old 9th August 2008, 10:38   #52
BHPian

samurai, mahindra part no A-760,
(Bolt Size-3/8inch, pitch-16, length -1.5inch) or remove 1 bolt take it to a hardware shop and ask for the same steel bolt.

Chengappa
Old 13th September 2008, 21:19   #53
BHPian

After searching high and low at all the India Garage's for the lamda hubs i got fed up and just landed up at the lamda manufacturing unit after electronic city.The price difference is too much.In India Garage i was quoted Rs 4600 for a set of hubs whereas i purchased the same at the unit for Rs 2750 plus taxes.

@4x4addict: I mentioned about you to Mr Arun but he could'nt recall meeting you.

One more good news.While I was talking to Mr Arun he mentioned that Lamda has started making winches and currently has a 5ton hydraulic winch.the cost he said was around 45000 rs.He said the same had been displayed at the recently concluded Palar Challenge in Hyderabad.Apparently they were able to lift a scorpio completely in the air using the winch.He also said that they were in the process of coming out with an electric winch and it should'nt cost more than 60000 rs hopefully.
Old 14th September 2008, 20:48   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
...the same had been displayed at the recently concluded Palar Challenge in Hyderabad...
Lamda Products were displayed at Jeep Thrills Mitsubishi Monsoon Challenge 2008 in Hyderabad and were received extremely well by 4x4 enthusiasts in the city.

Lamda had showcased
  • Manual Free Wheeling Hubs
  • Automatic Free Wheeling Hubs
  • 5000 Kg Hydraulic Winch

Visitors to their pavilion were impressed by the fact that the high quality indigenous products were priced economically as compared to the imported gear available in the market, making the buy excellent VFM. There is also a feeling of reliability as these products are made for Indian vehicles by people who know them very well and they relate to our conditions.

For Technical queries call Azeez at Lamda on 09343090546; azeez.lamda@gmail.com
Old 14th September 2008, 22:23   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shams View Post
Lamda Products were displayed at Jeep Thrills Mitsubishi Monsoon Challenge 2008 in Hyderabad and were received extremely well by 4x4 enthusiasts in the city.

Anyone wanting to get a hold of Automatic Free Wheeling Hubs, please be careful. They were installed in 1 Mahindra and we did an OTR this weekend and they just did not work.

Will post a detailed report later after getting the full report from the Mahindra driver.

PS: This is just a heads-up.
Old 14th September 2008, 23:02   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shams View Post

Lamda had showcased
  • Manual Free Wheeling Hubs
  • 5000 Kg Hydraulic Winch

Visitors to their pavilion were impressed by the fact that the high quality indigenous products were priced economically as compared to the imported gear available in the market, making the buy excellent VFM. There is also a feeling of reliability as these products are made for Indian vehicles by people who know them very well and they relate to our conditions.

For Technical queries call Azeez at Lamda on 09343090546; azeez.lamda@gmail.com
I was told it was at the Palar Challenge. Anyways hardly makes a difference.Ya even i like the products.and compared to the other stuff in the market its VFM
Old 17th September 2008, 10:36   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Anyone wanting to get a hold of Automatic Free Wheeling Hubs, please be careful. They were installed in 1 Mahindra and we did an OTR this weekend and they just did not work.

Will post a detailed report later after getting the full report from the Mahindra driver.

PS: This is just a heads-up.
One of them was Sreeni's Armada. He had a tough time. The hubs were slipping repeatedly, hence no traction on front wheels. Finally he replaced it with Manual free wheeling hubs. But then, it was a testing fixment from Lambda.

Read This for more info http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...13th-sept.html

--Sree--
Old 18th September 2008, 02:46   #58
BHPian

The jeep thrills Palar challenge is not held at hyderabad but on the dried river bank of Palar closer to Chennai.
cheers
Jammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
He said the same had been displayed at the recently concluded Palar Challenge in Hyderabad

Note from Support: Please quote only what is required and not the whole post. Thanks
MM440 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2008, 17:18   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM440 View Post
The jeep thrills Palar challenge is not held at hyderabad but on the dried river bank of Palar closer to Chennai.
cheers
Jammy
[/b]
my bad.i dint pay attention.and it dint strike me aso that palar is near chennai and now hyderabad.
Old 31st December 2008, 03:46   #60

Free wheeling hubs

Hey Guys,

Hopefully I'm not hijacking this thread...had questions on manual free wheeling hubs, how hard is the manual effort of engaging and disengaging the wheels from drive shaft? Can we do this real quick? What are the chances of breakage?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks