Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2008, 15:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I suggest you add small spacers and disc brakes (disc brakes also work like spacers by bringing out the wheels a bit) to make sure the front tyres get the required clearance.
Disc brakes are expensive.
And spacers are something off-roaders dont believe in. It just complicates things further.
Old 23rd April 2008, 21:57   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Disc brakes are expensive.
About 10K for a disc brake conversion kit.
Old 24th April 2008, 10:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandu View Post
I suggest you add small spacers and disc brakes (disc brakes also work like spacers by bringing out the wheels a bit) to make sure the front tyres get the required clearance.

The problem is more pronounced at rear. May be spacers could be an option but i have my doubts if it can with stand off road abuse. I may go for a set of new tyres in some time though.
Old 30th April 2008, 20:24   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
My MM540 has 265/70 R16 on standard jeep rim.
Do you really mean that you have fited 265/70 R16 on standard jeep 4.5 Inch width rim? I do not think it is advisable.

I have bought 7.5 inch wide rim from aftermarket but they are R15. I want tyres which has quite good hight, similar of the army 550 (R16 SandGripper). Which tyre are suggested for R15 rim. I want A/T type. Great if somebody can provide me the brand name and their expected price.
Old 1st May 2008, 00:35   #20
BHPian

I am running Michelin LTX A/T right now on a MM540, size 235/75R15. A/T tyres are OK for sand and loose surfaces, but useless in mud or anything slippery. Go for A/T only if you cant find M/T tyres.

Michelin India - LTX A/T
Old 1st May 2008, 08:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

Just for information. The mahindra's use the same calliper assembly as in the Sumo, so a pair of used ones should put you back by only about 1K.
Old 8th May 2008, 18:25   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandu View Post
hi ,

I am planning to fit 9.00 x 16" NDMS tires on a SWB Jeep. If you are wondering what tire this is, it is the one fitted on JCBs front wheels.

Wondering what kind of issues/performance I can expect. I could think of the following issues :

1. Need wider rims ( 6 to 6.5" width instead of the present 4.5")to fit the tires.
2. Need to increase clearance height to compensate for the bigger tires.
3. Better fuel efficiency due to large diameter of tire ?
4. Poor fuel efficiency due to heavier tires/rims ?
5. Poor braking due to bigger tires - Need to go for disc brakes.
6. Poor Pickup... Will the vehicle atleast move normally?

I am not in a position to fit the tires and then check out the performance. It would be better to at least in theory analyse it and then go for it...( if it makes sense...)

BTW it would have a Peugeot DI diesel engine, 5 speed gear box, 4x4, Free wheeling hubs, etc.

Regards
Anand

All the above mods are possible depending how you will go about modifying the suspension and drivetrain..

what type of suspension you have on your rig? is it leaf spring on fr and rear?

you could lift the suspension to fit taller tires and at the same time lower the t-case to avoid the drive shaft vibrations..depends on how much lift you are going for.

in case you are not sure on the lift kits then do a custom spacers on the coil spring(if you hv coils) or use add a leaf.. and trim the fender flares to avoid tyre rubbing the fenders..cheers:

you need to also upgrade the ring and pinion ratio to re gain the power / torque after installing the bigger/taller tires..

poor braking is part and parcel with bigger tires..
Old 13th May 2008, 11:13   #23
BHPian

I have seen tyre size 235 85 R15 with one shopkeeper who is dealing in used tyres. Does anybody know if we can have this tyre size in India (radials). If yes, pls advice which brand.
Old 14th May 2008, 00:40   #24
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Ridiculing other members is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. Do NOT type inappropriate posts on Team-BHP. Mutual respect is absolutely imperative keeping our varied audience in mind.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 14th May 2008 at 12:43.
Old 14th May 2008, 02:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

235/85 R15 is not available in India off the shelf. What car do you want this for?
Old 14th May 2008, 11:58   #26
BHPian

Hi iraghava, I have Mahindra MM540. I have changed the rim to 15 inch (8 inch wide).

Hi RedMM340, can you please advice what tire size your red jeep have. I also advice you to please respect everybody's feeling. Remember that we are here in this forum to help each other, not to laught at somebody. If you dislike somebody idea, you can advice him in a polite manner too.

Last edited by DesertKing : 14th May 2008 at 12:16. Reason: Adding message
Old 14th May 2008, 13:12   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Hi iraghava, I have Mahindra MM540. I have changed the rim to 15 inch (8 inch wide).

Hi RedMM340, can you please advice what tire size your red jeep have. I also advice you to please respect everybody's feeling. Remember that we are here in this forum to help each other, not to laught at somebody. If you dislike somebody idea, you can advice him in a polite manner too.
I was trying to make a joke about going too big on tire size, but I guess the admin. felt it was disrespectful. Wasn't intended that way. But I have to say this is very tightly moderated forum!

My 340 has a few different sets of tires & wheels. I was running 30R15 Bridgestone desert duelers, but recently running 30x9.5 15 BFGoodrich mud terrains.

The BFG tires are smaller and narrower, and I have found them to work a lot better. Smaller tires help braking, on road handling, and off road roll resistance. Big tires look good, but they do increase the COG, which is not good on or off road.

Wider tires give you better floatation which means they reduce the tire contact pressure to the ground. This gets you through mud and sand better. My Desert Duelers are really wide and work great in mud & sand, but require a much higher effort to turn (no power steering).

Regards,
RedMM340 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2008, 14:19   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

DesertKing. The tallest off-road tires you will find for the 15 inch rims are 31X10.5R15 tires. You can get the Michellin LTX;

31X10.5R15 gives you the same height as the Army MM550 XD tires (7.50X16).

Michelin India - LTX A/T

Last edited by 4x4addict : 14th May 2008 at 14:21.
Old 14th May 2008, 14:26   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Do you really mean that you have fited 265/70 R16 on standard jeep 4.5 Inch width rim? I do not think it is advisable.

I have bought 7.5 inch wide rim from aftermarket but they are R15. I want tyres which has quite good hight, similar of the army 550 (R16 SandGripper). Which tyre are suggested for R15 rim. I want A/T type. Great if somebody can provide me the brand name and their expected price.

do you get MT's in india?
Attached Images

Old 14th May 2008, 14:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...y-scorpio.html
A link to Gd's new tyres of the same size specified by vinod.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks