Team-BHP - What type of 4x4 in Scorpio?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Technical (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/)
-   -   What type of 4x4 in Scorpio? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/38714-what-type-4x4-scorpio.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 803799)
I wonder is the Scorpio 4x4 available easily?
If going for 4x2, the Innova is a better bet because its more reliable than both safari and Scorpio.
If going for 4x4, then safari makes more sense as it comes with a LSD, which can be a boon in tricky situations

The 4X4 is made to order - about 2 months waiting period for delivery.
And AFAIK, LSD is standard on Scorpio too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anupmathur (Post 804318)
The 4X4 is made to order - about 2 months waiting period for delivery.
And AFAIK, LSD is standard on Scorpio too.

I doubt, coz I once saw a video of a scorpio 4x4 with one wheel spinning. You have a scorpio 4x4 right?
Could you check in the manual. It will be clearly specified.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 804329)
I doubt, coz I once saw a video of a scorpio 4x4 with one wheel spinning. You have a scorpio 4x4 right?

ive read the manual it states it has automatic locking hubs.

Hmm, any more details about the 4x4 system of scorpio Anshuman?
What exactly is automatically locking hub?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 804417)
What exactly is automatically locking hub?

Obvious explanation would be it engages and disengages as you switch in and out of 4WD. You don't have to get down in muck to do that manually. But you still have to move backward or forward I suppose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 804527)
Obvious explanation would be it engages and disengages as you switch in and out of 4WD. You don't have to get down in muck to do that manually. But you still have to move backward or forward I suppose.

I have owned several vehicles with auto locking hubs that do not have any manual option. These are common in N.America on small 4x4 pickup trucks. Works good. No Back and Forward necessary.

Front Axle - IFS Torsion bar Full- Floating with Auto Locking Hubs (M35 Diff)

Rear Axle - Rigid Live Axle on Coil Springs - Semi-Floating (NO LSD)

Gearbox
- NGT530

Transfer Case - Part-Time Borg-Warner 2 Speed electronically actuated.

Ok, this means that the front two wheels will always spin together.
So that means unless you have 3 wheels out of action, the SUV will move ahead, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 804563)
Ok, this means that the front two wheels will always spin together.
So that means unless you have 3 wheels out of action, the SUV will move ahead, right?

Sounds logical.
Strangely, M&M do not mention the kind of diffs used - neither in the Manual, nor on the website.
For engaging 4WD, there is no need to stop - it is possible on the fly. And there is no need to depress the clutch either, for engaging/disengaging 4WD HIGH.
For 4WD LOW, vehicle should be brought to a standstill AND the clutch pedal should be depressed.

To dis-engage the 'automatic' front hubs, the car needs to be reversed for about one metre distance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anupmathur (Post 804714)
Sounds logical.
Strangely, M&M do not mention the kind of diffs used - neither in the Manual, nor on the website.
For engaging 4WD, there is no need to stop - it is possible on the fly. And there is no need to depress the clutch either, for engaging/disengaging 4WD HIGH.
For 4WD LOW, vehicle should be brought to a standstill AND the clutch pedal should be depressed.

To dis-engage the 'automatic' front hubs, the car needs to be reversed for about one metre distance.

Ill confirm it from the manual,i am not sure but its dana44 or something.

Quote:

I doubt, coz I once saw a video of a scorpio 4x4 with one wheel spinning.

Seeing a wheel spinning on a 4WD does not convey anything about the circumstances - was the wheel on the other side (which you could not see) also spinning? Was the vehicle in 4WD mode at that point?

Quote:

You have a scorpio 4x4 right?

The Manual does not say anything about the differentials at all! Nor does the website.

It was a youtube video with front wheel spinning. It was an older model maybe?
I wonder why companies in India are so tight lipped about what kind of 4x4 sits in their cars.
Arka has given the exact information.
Was Scorpio 4x4 always with this kind of config?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 804773)
It was a youtube video with front wheel spinning. It was an older model maybe?
I wonder why companies in India are so tight lipped about what kind of 4x4 sits in their cars.
Was Scorpio 4x4 always with this kind of config?

even i have seen a similar video on youtube of white scorpio with all the wheels spinning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by .anshuman (Post 804920)
even i have seen a similar video on youtube of white scorpio with all the wheels spinning.

Tells us little about the kind of diffs!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 804773)

I'm lost.
Where and what?

Actually the video has a white scorpio and you can just see the right side.
The front wheel is spinning, and you can't see the other side.