Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2008, 14:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Fabulous looking mean-machine there, Red. With the Scorpio engine inside, I'm sure it has stonking performance too!

Terrific stuff. Do tell us how!
Old 19th May 2008, 17:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

@Red: when you did all that and some more, why did you not go for the power steering?

Also, I see that your jeep has the stock differential. What did you do to match the torque of 2.6L Scorpio with that?

I also, like IronWolf, would like to sit and drive this Jeep if you may..
Old 19th May 2008, 17:36   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post

Also, I see that your jeep has the stock differential. What did you do to match the torque of 2.6L Scorpio with that?
Hi,
from pictures looks to be Dana44, front and rear, that axle is coping easily with 150+ hp without mods!

Ciao

Ignazio
Old 19th May 2008, 18:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful pics there Gaurav. These pics are truly wallpaper material. Esp. the ones where the jeep is stuck in clay, wading through the stream, etc. This is what the jeep is meant for. No point "domesticating the wild".
Old 19th May 2008, 18:30   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
1.) Can you give the "short" version of how the Scorpio 2.6L was matched up with the rest of the drive train?

2.) Who did the work in Delhi for you? Are they still in business?
Dan,

The Scorpio 2.6 is mated up with the original 4 speed tranny using an adapter plate. We had to test 3 version before we got it right. The adapter plate is cnc machined piece that is precision cut.

The transmission bellhousing was also swapped and modified.

The mechanic is in Delhi and he has done all the work on this jeep, so knows every detail of how to do this modification. Yes he is still in business and I am sure he will do this for those interested. I can put you in touch with him if interested.

However, keep in mind that this conversion is not cheap. Most people may find it more economical to buy a used Scorpio.
Old 19th May 2008, 19:06   #21
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
However, keep in mind that this conversion is not cheap. Most people may find it more economical to buy a used Scorpio.
yikes! that expensive? there goes my dream! would it be easier/cheaper for the engine swap to have been done on an MM540?
or does it not make a huge difference?

thanks for the replies

Old 19th May 2008, 19:25   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Hello RedMM340 (Gaurav Prabhakar) - it is indeed nice to see your genuine passion for both your Mahindra vehicles. Also, the base model of your red vehicle is the CL340 and not an MM340. Have you checked out the lastest version of the MM540 which the Indian Army has ? Please do so, you will be pleasantly surprised. Do post detailed photographs of the Scorpio engine installation in your CL340, especially the bell housing and the related clearances.

Please accept my best personal regards,

Behram Dhabhar
No I have not seen the latest MM540. What is the deal with it?

Detail pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Highly Modified MM340 - Scorpio Powered Beast-img_2507-large.jpg  

Highly Modified MM340 - Scorpio Powered Beast-img_2422-large.jpg  

Highly Modified MM340 - Scorpio Powered Beast-img_2424-large.jpg  

Highly Modified MM340 - Scorpio Powered Beast-img_2556-large.jpg  

Highly Modified MM340 - Scorpio Powered Beast-img_2573-large.jpg  

Highly Modified MM340 - Scorpio Powered Beast-img_2590-large.jpg  

Highly Modified MM340 - Scorpio Powered Beast-img_2427-large.jpg  

Highly Modified MM340 - Scorpio Powered Beast-img_2608-large.jpg  

Highly Modified MM340 - Scorpio Powered Beast-img_2615-large.jpg  

Highly Modified MM340 - Scorpio Powered Beast-img_2659-large.jpg  

Old 19th May 2008, 20:06   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Hey Gaurav,

What a jeep man!!! COngratulations on having built such a nice jeep....I have few questions for you

1. You were explaining about the warn over drive, can u explain how does it work?
2. I saw the brake pedals to be of old type...not the syuspended ones....how did u install a booster and disc combo with that?
3. What type of clutch are u using?

Wonderful jeep....
Hi Vinod,

The Warn overdrive is a simple 2 speed gearbox that mates to the Jeep's transfer case and provides a 25% drop in engine rpm when engaged. It is a very old design that has been around for decades.

Yes, the brake pedals are old fashioned through the flood type. Did not install a booster. You just have to stomp on the brakes HARD. The front discs are 12 inch vented units from a 1970's American CJ and the calipers are Chevy 1/2 ton truck units. All brake components were brand new. These brakes are very effective. But as I said earlier, you have to have a very heavy braking foot!

Clutch is the stock unit. The fly wheel has been machined down to lighten it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
@Red: when you did all that and some more, why did you not go for the power steering?

I also, like IronWolf, would like to sit and drive this Jeep if you may..
No power steering needed. Besides, I do not want to deal with added complexity and potential reliability issues. The steering is no problem.

As Ignazio mentioned the front and rear axles are Dana 44 units that are pretty tough. Never broken a ring or pinion gear yet.

The axle shafts are a different matter. I cannot remember how many have sheared over the years. It is one of the downsides of having too much torque. I am working on upgrading the rear axle to a full float design, which should reduce axle breakage.

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st May 2008 at 12:16.
Old 19th May 2008, 21:21   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
... he said that it would take around 6 K to fit a toyota engine into the 540 and thats what i am going to get...
Only 6K.. The engine cost should be around 15K or so. Can you please recofirm us.

Quote:
Ironwolf,
Regarding the gear levers, you are asking a good question and I am glad you spotted that detail. The 4x4 on this transfer box has 2 levers. One is the 4x4 on and off. The other is 2H, 4H, 4L. The extra lever is actually a Warn overdrive gearbox that gives a 1:1 ratio on the low setting and a 25% high ration on the high setting. This will give more relaxed engine rpm at highway speed and a higher top speed. I guess I forgot to put this on the list of modifications.
I want to know more about the WARN OVERDRIVE. Which vehicle is fitted with this. How do you fit it in a jeep. How much does this cost. What about its performance. Does it mean, it is a gear to change your final ratio. Great think, I wonder as I thought it is possible in tractors only. NEED SOME MORE DETAILS PLS.

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st May 2008 at 12:17.
Old 19th May 2008, 23:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ironwolf,
Yes, I had posted some pics on Flickr some time back. Here is the link:

Flickr: gaurevp's Photostream

Regarding the gear levers, you are asking a good question and I am glad you spotted that detail. The 4x4 on this transfer box has 2 levers. One is the 4x4 on and off. The other is 2H, 4H, 4L. The extra lever is actually a Warn overdrive gearbox that gives a 1:1 ratio on the low setting and a 25% high ration on the high setting. This will give more relaxed engine rpm at highway speed and a higher top speed. I guess I forgot to put this on the list of modifications.
Hi Gaurev, The pics were amazing.. Esp the Green ex Millitary Jeep, can you let us know more about that jeep?

BAck to topic What the difference?

"One is the 4x4 on and off." Vs "The other is 2H, 4H, 4L."

Please explain how a Warn overdrive gearbox works.

et all- Is there any workshop which does all this in KA (more specifically bangalore) ?

Sorry looks like I had this reply page open too long. I got the answer to the Warn Overdrive gearbox.

Could you tell us where you sourced the SZ Scorpio engine from? Insurance company scrap?

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st May 2008 at 12:17.
Old 19th May 2008, 23:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

oh, what a jeep. GREAT
Old 19th May 2008, 23:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Hi Gaurev, The pics were amazing.. Esp the Green ex Millitary Jeep, can you let us know more about that jeep?

BAck to topic What the difference?

"One is the 4x4 on and off." Vs "The other is 2H, 4H, 4L."

Please explain how a Warn overdrive gearbox works.

et all- Is there any workshop which does all this in KA (more specifically bangalore) ?
I have a very old Warn OD manual. Download it if you like..
RapidShare Webhosting + Webspace
Old 20th May 2008, 00:24   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Also, the base model of your red vehicle is the CL340 and not an MM340.
What is the difference between CJ340, CL340 and MM340? Why does Mahindra confuse the customers so much, none of us can keep track of all the model names and engine variants they got.
Old 20th May 2008, 00:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Only 6K.. The engine cost should be around 15K or so. Can you please recofirm us.
Hahaha you took it all wrong bro i am saying fitting not the engine the engine would be around 50K

sorry gaurav for kinda hijacking your thread.
Old 20th May 2008, 02:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

Class

Its even got Yosemite Sam "Back Off" mudflaps. Now that's class!
Attached Thumbnails
Highly Modified MM340 - Scorpio Powered Beast-yosemite-sam-mudflaps.jpg  

Most Viewed