Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2008, 00:21   #1
BHPian

Highly Modified MM340 - Scorpio Powered Beast

O.k. folks, here is write up on my MM340. The write up in chronological order, so skip to the end if you want to see the current set up.

Bought the Jeep new off the showroom floor in 1995. The MM dealer is in Jhandewale Extn., near Karol Bagh. My brother and I walked into the dealer to enquire about a MM540 and the salesmen pointed us to the "sports model" jeep and told us that we really wanted a proper jeep this is the one.

To tell the truth, I like the red color and removable top more than the ergonomics and brutally stiff shifter. So we ended by buying it on a spur of moment type of thing. After driving it a bit, I really started liking the feel of it. The acceleration was brisk because of the Peugeot 2.1L motor combined with 5.38 R&P ratios.

In 1996 I added alloys and 30 inch Desert Duelers (now on my blue MM550). Also added an extra leaf to the springs and re-arch to gain about 2 inches. Threw in a set of Rancho 9000's, a K&N filter and proceeded to have a lot fun.

1997 comes around, and I really want to add some power, so I import a Garret T35 turbo, and drop it in along with an intercooler. So now it was making 80 or 90 hp at 8 psi boost and was really pretty quick and a lot more fun to drive.

Fast forward to 2004: The jeep was in storage for the past 5 years and needed a new head. So the engine was pulled out and completely overhauled with genuine MM parts. New head, pistons, etc. Reinstalled in 2005 and my mechanic tells me that a used Scorpio motor is available and it may be able to fit. So we end up pulling the overhauled motor and put it on the side and proceed to fitup the 2.6 Scorpio motor.

To make a long story short, we finally got the fit up and CNC adaptor right after 6 months of trial and error. Then in 2006 we decided to pull the body off and redo the entire engine/drivetrain fitup. Redid the engine mounts, strengthened the frame with tubular cross braces and we were good to go.

Motor was also extensively modified with high flow injectors, ported & polished head, oversize intercooler, variable boost control, etc.

The current configuration and modifications are as follows:

1995 original jeep
2.6 turbo Scorpio motor
enlarged injector nozzles with EDM machine polish
K&N air filter
oversize aluminum intercooler with polish finish
variable boost control
2 inch thick aluminum race radiator with integral electric fan
12 inch oversize front disc brakes vented
ss braid brake lines
Bilstein race shocks with remote reservoir
front and rear antisway bars
front and rear trac bars
4.27 R&Ps
Hello 4000 fog lights
Ramsey 9500 winch
Led turn, brake lights
30x9.5R15 BFGoodrich mud terrains
8x15 Mickey Thompson classic alloy rims
custom free flow exhaust
Aluminum hard top
removable doors
race seats with 4 pt. harness belts
boost gauge, EGT gauge
On board GPS, Garmin 276C

Pics attached.

Cheers,

Gaurav
Attached Thumbnails
Highly Modified MM340 - Scorpio Powered Beast-img_0006-large.jpg  

Highly Modified MM340 - Scorpio Powered Beast-img_0005-large.jpg  

Highly Modified MM340 - Scorpio Powered Beast-img_0036-large.jpg  

Highly Modified MM340 - Scorpio Powered Beast-img_0038-large.jpg  

Highly Modified MM340 - Scorpio Powered Beast-img_0048-large.jpg  

Highly Modified MM340 - Scorpio Powered Beast-img_3589-large.jpg  

Highly Modified MM340 - Scorpio Powered Beast-img_3616-large.jpg  

Highly Modified MM340 - Scorpio Powered Beast-img_3605-large.jpg  

Highly Modified MM340 - Scorpio Powered Beast-img_3719-large.jpg  

Highly Modified MM340 - Scorpio Powered Beast-img_3742-large.jpg  

Old 19th May 2008, 01:05   #2
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Amazing stuff gaurav!! The pics are to die for ! PIC Number 3 and the Last pic is wallpaper meterial. I see you are from delhi i'd love to see this vehicle in person sometime if possible.

khaadu what say?
Old 19th May 2008, 01:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Red.. you're the one.. I already saw pics of your jeep on Flickr posted by another Team-bhpian. Forgot which thread. Wanted to ask you lot of questions, most of which your post has cleared.

Except.. pardon my ignorance.. what are the other 2 levers next the gear shift and 2W-4W shift?
Old 19th May 2008, 01:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful pics... waiting to see the beat in person.
Old 19th May 2008, 01:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Your'e the man RedMM340. lovely pics, great beast. enjoy and please post report. You have just given me an Idea
Old 19th May 2008, 01:22   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Brilliant vehicle! I dont think there are too many obstacles this MM340 wouldnt tame
Old 19th May 2008, 01:56   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Amazing stuff gaurav!! The pics are to die for ! PIC Number 3 and the Last pic is wallpaper meterial. I see you are from delhi i'd love to see this vehicle in person sometime if possible.

khaadu what say?
One of my favorite pictures from that trip to Leh is attached. It pretty much sums up that a Jeep + open road = happiness

Anytime you want to see the jeep, just let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Highly Modified MM340 - Scorpio Powered Beast-img_3914-large.jpg  

Old 19th May 2008, 02:06   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Red.. you're the one.. I already saw pics of your jeep on Flickr posted by another Team-bhpian. Forgot which thread. Wanted to ask you lot of questions, most of which your post has cleared.

Except.. pardon my ignorance.. what are the other 2 levers next the gear shift and 2W-4W shift?
Ironwolf,
Yes, I had posted some pics on Flickr some time back. Here is the link:

Flickr: gaurevp's Photostream

Regarding the gear levers, you are asking a good question and I am glad you spotted that detail. The 4x4 on this transfer box has 2 levers. One is the 4x4 on and off. The other is 2H, 4H, 4L. The extra lever is actually a Warn overdrive gearbox that gives a 1:1 ratio on the low setting and a 25% high ration on the high setting. This will give more relaxed engine rpm at highway speed and a higher top speed. I guess I forgot to put this on the list of modifications.
Old 19th May 2008, 02:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Gaurav jee this is again amazing jeep but still i like the looks of the MM540... i talked to my mama he has a spar part shop for tractors and jeep in punjab... he said that it would take around 6 K to fit a toyota engine into the 540 and thats what i am going to get...
Old 19th May 2008, 07:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

How matched?

1.) Can you give the "short" version of how the Scorpio 2.6L was matched up with the rest of the drive train?

2.) Who did the work in Delhi for you? Are they still in business?
Old 19th May 2008, 07:37   #11
R.G
BHPian

Awesome Jeep!!!
Really enjoyed the photos as well.Keep them coming .
Old 19th May 2008, 07:40   #12
Team-BHP Support

Wonder stuff Gaurav, this Jeep is like a Jeep modification catalogue. Just like how the movie Devdas was a bridal/jewellery catalogue. I am glued to learn more about it.
Old 19th May 2008, 07:41   #13
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
1.) Can you give the "short" version of how the Scorpio 2.6L was matched up with the rest of the drive train?
yes! would you please? what problems did you face?
I wouldnt mind if the version was long and detailed either
and do you know anyone who can do this in kerala or TN?

Old 19th May 2008, 12:46   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello RedMM340 (Gaurav Prabhakar) - it is indeed nice to see your genuine passion for both your Mahindra vehicles. Also, the base model of your red vehicle is the CL340 and not an MM340. Have you checked out the lastest version of the MM540 which the Indian Army has ? Please do so, you will be pleasantly surprised. Do post detailed photographs of the Scorpio engine installation in your CL340, especially the bell housing and the related clearances.

Please accept my best personal regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2008, 13:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hey Gaurav,

What a jeep man!!! COngratulations on having built such a nice jeep....I have few questions for you

1. You were explaining about the warn over drive, can u explain how does it work?
2. I saw the brake pedals to be of old type...not the syuspended ones....how did u install a booster and disc combo with that?
3. What type of clutch are u using?

Wonderful jeep....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks