Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2009, 23:38   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
No these Chinese Winches are no good.

...etc etc etc....

But it did get me out of some bad stucks in the desert and pulled a couple of vehicles out from impossible situations.
Quote:
bought a Warn 8000 lb Winch for my SWB Prado. There was a problem with the motor. It burnt out in the very first rescue. The winch sparked and failed.
Quote:
Next I bought a brand new Warn 9000 lb winch from the dealer in Dubai for about Rs. 40,000.

...etc etc etc...

The winch got overheated and started sparking from the relay. The winch rescue failed.

A week later on a night drive a Landcruiser 100 got very badly stuck on some extremely soft powdery sand.

The Winch burnt out during this rescue but we did manage to winch the Landcruiser out.

Not sure what I should make of this post. All I can conclude is:

1. Chinese winches are no good.

2. But they do get you out of some bad stucks.

3. Warn winches cost much more.

4. But they spark, overheat and fail rescues.

Moral of story = shop at Dragon Mart?

Last edited by Steeroid : 6th April 2009 at 23:39.
Old 7th April 2009, 00:15   #122
BHPian

lol, the point is electronics fail.

2 yrs ago, a friend of mine visited an used winches store in Australia. While talking to the guy in the store about finding cheap winches and how to get them to India, the store guy told him that a majority of the warn parts are made in India. I don't know how much truth there is in this, but it could be possible.

Anyways, an electrician who repairs starter motors for a living told me that starter motors cannot be used in Winches because the cannot handle more than a minutes charge, or thing would fail,especially the armature bushes. Now consider the amount of stress the winch motors are supposed to go through, since a starter motor for a big 6 cylinder motor is usually rated at 1.5hp, and it blows the guts out of the battery, while the winch motors are usually 3-4 hp strong. There is a huge load on the electricals itself, thats why they need atleast a 100-120amp rated battery.
Until a couple of days ago, i though Warns(or any other winch for that matter) were water-proof, and then i was corrected and told its more like water-resistant rather than totally water-proof. So could be that just a little bit of moister could have built up inside the motor due the heating & cooling effect of the motor under hard use, and that itself was guilty of conspiracy to murder.
Old 7th April 2009, 22:10   #123
BHPian

Dear Brutus,

You are correct; some of the parts are made in India but only for the hydraulic winch,

For the Electric winch all the parts are from China more over the complete unit made & assembled in china, well they have the testing parameters through which these are tested,

No these winches are not water proof but water resistant, yes for a while, to long in the water it tend to get into the main motor unit, try & avoid it that's the best , well don’t worry about the rain it will not affect the winch, so be care full not to submerge the winch for too long, after few minutes you will have the operate the winch with no load to flush out the water to avoid any damages later,

It is better to use 100amp battery, if you have winch,

My personal advise is do not use winch below 8000 pond capacity,

Regards
Vinay Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus View Post
lol, the point is electronics fail.

2 yrs ago, a friend of mine visited an used winches store in Australia. While talking to the guy in the store about finding cheap winches and how to get them to India, the store guy told him that a majority of the warn parts are made in India. I don't know how much truth there is in this, but it could be possible.

Anyways, an electrician who repairs starter motors for a living told me that starter motors cannot be used in Winches because the cannot handle more than a minutes charge, or thing would fail,especially the armature bushes. Now consider the amount of stress the winch motors are supposed to go through, since a starter motor for a big 6 cylinder motor is usually rated at 1.5hp, and it blows the guts out of the battery, while the winch motors are usually 3-4 hp strong. There is a huge load on the electricals itself, thats why they need atleast a 100-120amp rated battery.
Until a couple of days ago, i though Warns(or any other winch for that matter) were water-proof, and then i was corrected and told its more like water-resistant rather than totally water-proof. So could be that just a little bit of moister could have built up inside the motor due the heating & cooling effect of the motor under hard use, and that itself was guilty of conspiracy to murder.
The main reason the Motor burns is that most of the time the winch is not at all used, & when it is required the motor fails,

Generally the wiring has to be checked before you start winching, looking at the case I doubt the wiring was done correctly & that’s where the motor has burnt in the first pull,

Very important that the wiring is done correctly & all links should be tight, any loose contact will cause the solenoids or the motor to burn out.

Always use the winch once a week with or with out load, this will keep the winch healthy & fit to perform when required,

warn has an issue of over heating

Quote:
No these Chinese Winches are no good. i bought one cheaply for about Rs. 30,000 a brand called KEW, 6000 lb Winch and installed it in my Toyota Prado.

There was a serious problem in engageing / disengaging the clutch. But it did get me out of some bad stucks in the desert and pulled a couple of vehicles out from impossible situations.

I abandoned it and bought a Warn 8000 lb Winch for my SWB Prado. There was a problem with the motor. It burnt out in the very first rescue. We had launched the Toyota Landcruiser 200 and three of them were stuck in a pit. The winch sparked and failed.

Next I bought a brand new Warn 9000 lb winch from the dealer in Dubai for about Rs. 40,000.

I also bought a warn wich pulley and tree saver strap along with it.

The first time I used it, a Nissan Patrol was stuck at a dangerous angle. The winch got overheated and started sparking from the relay. The winch rescue failed.

A week later on a night drive a Landcruiser 100 got very badly stuck on some extremely soft powdery sand.

The Winch burnt out during this rescue but we did manage to winch the Landcruiser out.
Dear Kittu,

You are right why do you need a winch, the question is rightly put by your friend,

This question will be with every one who is reading this topic,

Winching others is one thing you can do as mentioned or you will winch your self out when stuck,

The point here is in what you should invest, Yes winches are expensive not all can have, investing on one is important & not so important, there’s no return from one,

But the only return is that you don’t get stuck & don’t lets others get stuck too.

If you are more into offroading, then it is a must,

These are safety equipments & there shouldn’t be any compromise on the need & quality,

Tow rope should do the job, there are cases with the tow rope being used & the results were bad,

Well the scenario at MGE was different, & we could only mange one jeep in the tight spot & that’s is the reason it was one jeep winching all, but the quality aspect can be seen on the performance,

The cheap winch might or may not even do the justice, just imagine you are stuck some where the machine fails to perform,

Think over it,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
I have been saving some money for quiet some time to buy a good winch and now my friend asked me a question that kept me thinking.
"Why do you need a winch" or, "what kind of things you do with your jeep that actually begs to have a winch installed".

I really didn't know how to answer that.

I will use it to pull myself out of situations when i get stuck and i am alone.
I probably might really use it once in 2 months or so.
Most cases i might also use it to pull 1 or 2 more vehicles from there. Thats all. No intention to use it like the MGE recovery vehicle.

And should i be spending 50K on a Ramsey or get a Rhunva for 16K.
Ramsey's are good. But, arnt they overkill for my purpose?

Regards,
krishna.
Mod's Note: Please do not type in an external editor like MS Word and then paste it here. It creates unnecessary tags which need a lot of clean-up effort at our end.

Also, do not make back to back posts. Use the Multiquote button to respond to multiple posts at one go. If the content is already posted then use the Edit button in the 1st 20 mins of posting.

Posts merged.
Old 7th April 2009, 23:49   #124
BHPian

army winches for sale in Jabalpur - how good wil these be ?

Hi All
I have recently acquired a gypsy from the army auctions and am thinking of fitting in a winch.
I just saw that Vehicle factory, Jabalpur is auctioning 4 winches as mentioned in this post here :

Auction Catalog Report

I have the following queries :

1) What may be the make of these winches ? I have never seen a winch on any army vehicle till date ?

2) will these be motorised or the static winches ?

i know that we cant be sure till we inspect the lot, which I will try to do, but i am still asking all of you if you have any idea about these winches ?

If found suitable , I plan to bid for these and hence I wud like to know what may be the price of these so that I can bid accordingly ?

Also wanted to ask if anyone is interested in teaming up with me to go for these winches ?

regards,
Abheek
Old 7th April 2009, 23:59   #125
BHPian

Hi Vinay,
I know about the things that you've been talking about, rather my post was regarding the post made my Krishna about failing winches, but thanks anyways.
There are too many variables to go wrong, not only if its not used much. Just like a new waterpump motor could fail, the winch is no exception. But yes, the quality supplied by the manufactures is the bottom line.
And there's something i would like to add, its not just the 8000pounds facter, but as a general rule of thumb, the minimum winching capacity(when the cable is at its last winding up roll over the other rolls at the drum) should be more than the gross maximum vehicle weight, and almost all winches have about a 1.2-1.5 times difference in the minimum and maximum pull rates, and thats why they say it should be 1.5 times the GVW.
Old 8th April 2009, 00:06   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Hi All
I have recently acquired a gypsy from the army auctions and am thinking of fitting in a winch.
I just saw that Vehicle factory, Jabalpur is auctioning 4 winches
VFJ used to supply the Jongas, 1-tons and shaktimanns to the army and nowadays they assemble the Tata and Ashok-L trucks for them.
Shaktimann, and the 1-tonners, had PTO winchesm, and so do the modern 3 and 5 Tonners, so most likely they would be just these or probably hoist winches. I have never seen mass produded army vehicles(except special forces or other special divisions) use any other type of winch.
Old 8th April 2009, 00:25   #127
Team-BHP Support

I bought the winch because I wanted to return the goodwill. Offroaders tow fellow offroaders with no other return than goodwill. And people with winches usually get more than their share of towing burden. If you can share that burden, please do it.

If you can afford a winch, and if your parking situation allows it, you should get a winch.
Old 8th April 2009, 00:53   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
and if your parking situation allows it, you should get a winch.
??????

explain!
Old 8th April 2009, 01:23   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
??????

explain!
Well, a winch can be easily stolen, it is just 4 nuts away. After the installing the winch I could remove it in 10 minutes.

If you are parking the Jeep in city streets, winch is an easy target, why do you think GTO still doesn't have a winch.
Old 8th April 2009, 01:59   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Well, a winch can be easily stolen, it is just 4 nuts away. After the installing the winch I could remove it in 10 minutes.

If you are parking the Jeep in city streets, winch is an easy target, why do you think GTO still doesn't have a winch.
This is definitely a concern for me. The same goes for Light Force lights etc that cost over 10K. Sucks to have them stolen. I am planning to weld the bolts on my winch. So the thief will need a lot more time on his hands.
Old 8th April 2009, 02:11   #131
BHPian

Quote:

Lol, get an PTO winch. No one would want to go through the process of dismantling one.
No seriously, get a big heavy duty bumper(like ARB) and hide it behind that, with only the fairlead visible. To get this one out, first the bumper would have to be dismantled, and that would make it more difficult
Old 8th April 2009, 21:48   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Some easy solutions to help deter thieves.

The winch could be installed using kinmar bolts and nuts. Your average thief is unlikely to carry the tools to open these. Putting a little weld on the end of the bolt so the nut cannot be easily remove. Nyloc nuts and bolts with hex or torx heads are also good for putting off the average thief. Sheer bolts are another option but a pain to remove if you need to remove the winch.

Of cause the thief could just steal your jeep with the winch on .
Old 8th April 2009, 23:25   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Of cause the thief could just steal your jeep with the winch on .
Good old battery isolator switches with special keys should help there. Got one for the Defender and one for the Landmaster back home. The Fiat already has it.

Of course they could still roll the vehicle onto a recovery truck and get away with it...you cant make things foolproof, just make things more difficult.
Old 8th April 2009, 23:28   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Of course they could still roll the vehicle onto a recovery truck and get away with it...you cant make things foolproof, just make things more difficult.
Not if you got wheel clamps on every wheel . I suppose then they could lift your vehicle on to a recovery truck but not every thief has that sort of setup.
Old 8th April 2009, 23:33   #135
Team-BHP Support

Thief with a flatbed recovery truck? I haven't seen a service station with flatbed truck in India.

Most Viewed