Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2010, 12:57   #181
BHPian

Hey Guys . came across these winches in Ebay, companies like Smittybilt , Westin tmax , Vortex . These seem to be priced very low and they are used extensively abroad according few pics i have seen . How good are these winches ?

Westin T-MAX Off-Road Series 9000 Winches 9,000lb: eBay Motors (item 310178379443 end time Aug-26-10 08:31:19 PDT)

NEW Smittybilt XRC 8 8,000lb Winch for Jeep Truck SUV: eBay Motors (item 350161670198 end time Aug-26-10 20:15:19 PDT)

8000 LB Pound Recovery Winch Bonus Package! 2 remotes - eBay (item 110563857015 end time Jul-30-10 10:30:43 PDT)

Last edited by karizma9292 : 30th July 2010 at 12:58.
Old 21st March 2011, 21:52   #182
Senior - BHPian

Winch options for the Gypsy

There are many Gypsy owners here on TeamBHP and there are many who've installed a winch on their vehicle.

1. What winch have you got?
- Brand:
- Model:
- Specifications:

2. How long have you had it?
3. How many times have you had to use it? Describe the situations if possible and also comment on the criticality of winch in that recovery.
4. How do you maintain your winch?
5. How satisfied are you with your winch?
6. Any regrets/wish-lists/other model you wish you'd purchased instead?
Old 5th September 2011, 23:14   #183
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to get top quality winch?

Some winch installation pics
Attached Thumbnails
How to get a top quality winch?-hatta-004.jpg  

How to get a top quality winch?-moreeb.jpg  

Old 8th July 2012, 21:18   #184
BHPian

Hi All,

I am a complete newbie and this is my first post so please do forgive me if I am doingt this incorrectly in any way.

I've been on the quest for a Mahindra Thar for a few months now and finally it will be with me in Aug 2012. Through the process of researching the jeep; I reseached allows, tyres, brake upgrades, bumper upgrades, poured through every post of Behrahm D (Veteran Mahindra Genius) and ofcourse a winch. I think I found something. I am not sure if you have heard of this or if this has figured anywhere else.

I found a Bangalore based company (Silwin) winches of various types. Mostly marine and industrial types from what I could gather from their web site. They have two types of winches; one a 9500 lbs winch and another 12000 lbs winch. The 9500 lbs winch is about 35K + taxes. I asked them if they can assist in installation but did not hear back from the lady in Sales.

I am attaching the MS Excel tech sheet which was sent to me. I am hoping someone would be able to evaluate the specs and give some advise.

I also have another question; Would I be right in assuming that the stock front bumper of a Thar is winch ready? Would it take a 50 kg winch?

Many thanks & Best regards.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx DC Winch Tech Specs.xlsx (48.4 KB, 639 views)
Suedehead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 14:03   #185
BHPian

Looks interesting - thanks for the research (although 35k seems pricey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
Hi All,

I also have another question; Would I be right in assuming that the stock front bumper of a Thar is winch ready? Would it take a 50 kg winch?

You would be mounting the winch on a heavy duty steel plate bolted onto the chassis sections - so the 50 kg weight should not be an issue
lugnut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2016, 00:08   #186

Winch Installation for Pajero Sport

Hello fellow BHPians,

I am contemplating installing a winch on my Pajero Sport. Need help in the following

1) Have zeroed in on Warn 8000 lbs. Any feedback on its capabilities on a PS will be appreciated.

2) Is it possible to set it up yourselves without a mechanic? I was told by someone that it may need welding etc under the body. I am not in the favor of that.

Also, if I do need an expert to set it up, then any recommendations who can do it in Delhi NCR.

Many thanks.
Old 30th June 2016, 16:03   #187
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to get a top quality winch?

Warn is the best winch. Usually no cutting and welding is required unless the front bumper of your car is a complete city driver sissy.
I have not had a careful look at a Pajero sport bumper.
You cannot fix it yourself. The mechanical and electrical fittings and setting up of the fairway roller needs some expertise. Get a qualified guy in Khan market or similar to do it.
The way they make off roaders these days I guess a winch base plate to mount it on the bumper will be required. Also a relay and cut out.
Usually the Warn winch dealer has the installation included in a new winch price and sends you to the proper place.
From where did you get or intend to purchase this winch ?

Last edited by desertfox : 30th June 2016 at 16:05.
Old 23rd February 2017, 15:28   #188
BHPian

Winch hook replacement!

Winch hook replacement! (For synthetic winch lines)

Came across this piece of nifty engineering while browsing, so thought of sharing.

I felt the option is good, if the winch hook makes a clack when you hit a bumpy stretch. Or say, if the mental scratches (as if that matters while off-roading) the bumper of the ride you are trying to winch out.

The real thing being, instead of metal hooks and synthetic line, this hook is real neat. But they do say one needs synthetic rope splicing expertise to hook one up.

- Rope protection

Couple of pics
How to get a top quality winch?-1.jpg

How to get a top quality winch?-2.jpg

How to get a top quality winch?-3.jpg

Source
Old 28th October 2018, 23:53   #189
BHPian

Hello ppl! I would like your expert opinion on procuring the best winch for my Thar. Any advice would be highly appreciated.
I went through different posts in the forum. However, most of the posts are few years old.

While researching, I came across the following brands (few from this thread/forum):
- Ramsey (read some good recommendations in this forum)
- Warn (seems to be the forum fav)
- Smittybilt (I’m inclined to these as they offer waterproof winches)
- Superwich

Some pointers:
1) I am not interested in opting for the synthetic ropes - maintenance / higher cost, although has few advantages - safer, lighter etc.
2) I’m thinking of choosing between 8000-10,000 lbs - not more, unless closesly priced.
3) Im inclined towards water proof winches.
4) I’m currently located in Europe, so any German brand would be easy to procure. If not, I’m considering buying from Amazon US (I have few questions related to this - import costs - I’ll hold on to those questions until I finalise the brand/model).
5) any Indian alternatives?
6) budget is within ₹1 lk including shipping, import charges and winch cost.

Below is the pic of my 2012 Thar. Waiting for it’s midlife upgrade. First of it was the bumper. Many more to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
How to get a top quality winch?-f2356a2f331942e481708595c7c2fffc.jpeg  

Last edited by kryogesh : 28th October 2018 at 23:59. Reason: Adding additional info.
Old 13th November 2018, 14:37   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogesh View Post

Hi,
Why to take so much headache. You get good Warn winches in India at comparable price (65K). For occasional use Mile Marker is a good option to (in 50 K INR).

Regards,
Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 15:24   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello ppl! I would like your expert opinion on procuring the best winch for my Thar. Any advice would be highly appreciated.
I went through different posts in the forum. However, most of the posts are few years old.

While researching, I came across the following brands (few from this thread/forum):
- Ramsey (read some good recommendations in this forum)
- Warn (seems to be the forum fav)
- Smittybilt (I’m inclined to these as they offer waterproof winches)
- Superwich

Some pointers:
1) I am not interested in opting for the synthetic ropes - maintenance / higher cost, although has few advantages - safer, lighter etc.
2) I’m thinking of choosing between 8000-10,000 lbs - not more, unless closesly priced.
3) Im inclined towards water proof winches.
4) I’m currently located in Europe, so any German brand would be easy to procure. If not, I’m considering buying from Amazon US (I have few questions related to this - import costs - I’ll hold on to those questions until I finalise the brand/model).
5) any Indian alternatives?

Below is the pic of my 2012 Thar. Waiting for it’s midlife upgrade. First of it was the bumper. Many more to follow.
My 2cents:

-get synthetic rope. If you are a newbie to winching, it's safer for you though a newbie can wear off a synthetic rope faster than metal. However, safety wise synthetic stores much less KE.
plus less weight on the front end

- don't go more than 8k in rating. look at ampere draws on full load when selecting a winch. high capacity winches would draw upwards for 500amps on a full load and your alternator just would run not cope up. I'm assuming it's a recreational winch and I would go as low as possible in the load rating and invest in a couple of snatch blocks. Double up the power without draining the battery and overworking the alternator

- Germany is nearly the same cost for winch as India. If you buying from US, only then would you save money. And If you are getting from the states, every i4wdta trainer worth his salt is recommending the super winch as currently the top brand in terms of reliability. Second option would be smittybilt.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 13th November 2018 at 15:26. Reason: corrected typos
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 19:00   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Hi,
Why to take so much headache. You get good Warn winches in India at comparable price (65K). For occasional use Mile Marker is a good option to (in 50 K INR).

Regards,
Shubhendra
Thanks Shubhendra!
Oh! thats great! I only searched on Amazon, and it gave me this message: "Your cart subtotal exceeds the maximum allowed limit for imported items in a single order. Please edit your order to take cart value to less than Rs.50,000 to proceed further. "

Any idea where to procure in Bengaluru?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
My 2cents:

-get synthetic rope. If you ...

...option would be smittybilt.
Thanks Tejas! ok, will consider synthetic as an option too and will stick to 8000lbs. I hadn't thought of the load on the alternator/battery.
I also didn't know that a snatch block doubles the power, although had watched some vidoes about it!x2

Ok, will drop the idea of gettting it from Europe. I thought of asking my friend to get it from the states, but then its quite heavy, possible customs to be paid in Bengaluru, so decided against it to avoid all these hassels. So, yeah, anyone knows where I could buy in Bengaluru?
Old 13th November 2018, 19:11   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please edit your order to take cart value to less than Rs.50,000 to proceed further. "
Hi,
Vijay Kumar from Swastik Fabs has entire Warn lineup, he is based out of Bangalore. You can search for swastikfabs.in

Amin Sons in Gujarat has entire Mile Marker lineup.

Both provide after sales support (which is very important).

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 16:12   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, Vijay Kumar (aka VIJI) is your best bet in BLR.

I'd strongly recommend the Warn Zeon series.

Having said that, read and learn about winch safety. The thing can kill you if you aren't careful.

All the best.

Regards,

Tejas
Old 10th April 2019, 19:28   #195
BHPian

Has anyone tried the Bush Winch in their escapades?
This is pretty interesting.

4x4 experts any feedback if you have tried this?
Why is that I don't see it amongst the enthusiasts?
srivatsahg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks