Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2008, 14:27   #31
Senior - BHPian

Hey GTO,
Very informative, the road test was good and makes me feel good about mahindra. But as said in the test, dont you think crisp bakes and steering would have made things better? As i said some where else in my earlierpost precision of controls is very important.

In morden Mahindras brakes & steering issues have been addressed to an extent. Then will they be the best if pitched against some of its foreign counterparts?
Old 20th June 2008, 15:22   #32
DKG
Senior - BHPian

This discussion was triggered by a remark by Arka that the new generation offroaders are no patch on the old generation offroaders.

I think we are digressing in trying to justify a Mahindra's capabilities. The issue of their capability or value for money was never questioned.

New generation offroaders vs old generation offroaders in my opinion, simply put, there is no contest. Use a new generation SWB offroader like the Wrangler and you will understand how far behind the Mahindras are.

PS Use a new generation Wrangler and a TLC for long distance offroading and you will understand how far behind the Wranglers are!!

Last edited by DKG : 20th June 2008 at 15:25.
Old 20th June 2008, 15:29   #33
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'll put it simply : Are Mahindra SWB Jeeps great bang for the buck? You bet. They have probably 75% of the ability of more expensive offroaders at 5% of the price. Of course, driver skill and judgement matters as much as the 4x4 machinery whilst offroading. I wouldn't say that Mahindras are in the league of LC's and Pajeros when it comes to outright offroad capability, but many will be surprised at how close they can be. The simple construction, ......
That's the fact. You explained the contrast between these two classes of vehicles very well. M&M 4x4 is for country folks, it does the work very well in our country side and targeted at that market. If they try to do a Prado, the sticker cost will reach 20L and it wont make business sense to them.. We have one of those and it hardly goes to a workshop and never given any respect, but does it duty without complaints year after year. It is crude, but hardly fails you.
Old 20th June 2008, 15:33   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
This discussion was triggered by a remark by Arka that the new generation offroaders are no patch on the old generation offroaders.

I think we are digressing in trying to justify a Mahindra's capabilities. The issue of their capability or value for money was never questioned.

New generation offroaders vs old generation offroaders in my opinion, simply put, there is no contest. Use a new generation SWB offroader like the Wrangler and you will understand how far behind the Mahindras are.
World over 4x4s have evolved with time. In India they are stuck with the past. I bought a 4runner years ago when I was looking around for a 4x4 for its creature comforts as well as features that assisted in offroad driving compared to a wrangler. It was a question of safety.
Old 20th June 2008, 15:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

@DKG,jaysmokesleaves: Can you please proper english on this forum? I don't know what 'wadi' is.
Its gotta an imperative meaning in tamil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG
PS Use a new generation Wrangler and a TLC for long distance offroading and you will understand how far behind the Wranglers are!!
You and Arka are arguing in two different directions.
Off-road is a term that can be used in a broad spectrum.

DKG, Im yet to see a picture of you doing any off-roading at all. But, Im assuming you're talking about driving TLCs and Nissan Patrols over sand dunes in deserts. Now, thats a completely different ball game .
Maybe the closest I've come to doing that is the Palar .
Old 20th June 2008, 16:06   #36
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
@DKG,jaysmokesleaves: Can you please proper english on this forum? I don't know what 'wadi' is.
These are dry river beds usually rocky

Quote:
You and Arka are arguing in two different directions.
Are we? I thought its pretty simple, he believes the 540 is the last word in offroading, any definition you want to use reg offroading, and I think that's utter nonsense. Modern offroaders have evolved by a mile

Quote:
DKG, Im yet to see a picture of you doing any off-roading at all.
Neither is this discussion about my offroad prowess or Arka's. So where does the issue about credibility arise? Can't you evaluate a discussion on its own merit? We are discussing new generation offroaders vs old generation offroaders not Arka vs DKG! And frankly, those who haven't used modern offroaders, don't you think your view is skewed???

Last edited by DKG : 20th June 2008 at 16:19.
Old 20th June 2008, 16:11   #37
BANNED

Quote:

DKG, Very nicely put and true to every point.
Just because we are stuck with some old generation vehicles doesn't give us any excuse to keep debating for it. We are definitely far behind in offroadeing scene compared to the international arena. 540 or whatever it is. We definitely need more advanced 4X4s.

BTW, There is a new contender from the japs called FJ and it is also a gem on it's own when it comes to offroading.

Last edited by speedzak : 20th June 2008 at 16:14.
Old 20th June 2008, 16:14   #38
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
There is a new contender from the japs called FJ and it is also a gem on it's own when it comes to offroading.
Yes Sir! That's the FJ Cruiser from Toyota. I've seen some videos of it doing rock crawling etc, looks to be very impressive.
Old 20th June 2008, 16:31   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Sir! That's the FJ Cruiser from Toyota. I've seen some videos of it doing rock crawling etc, looks to be very impressive.
Very True i have always loved the FJ's...Some pics which are always in my mind ..
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra 4WD vs Modern 4WD-1.jpg  

Mahindra 4WD vs Modern 4WD-2.jpg  

Old 20th June 2008, 16:31   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Im yet to see a picture of you doing any off-roading at all.
I mostly see this statement being made by folks who have done some offroading. I used it before and now i totally detest it. It sounds like "Look man i have done this and that, what have you done? I am on a higher plane then you so shut up."

Totally OT but this somehow gets to me. I have driven on so many trails all alone without a camera, i dont have pics. I didnt have the presence of mind to carry one cause i thought i will either lose it or break it. I bought a Classic when i was earning 2k a month, couldnt afford a camera. Now when i can i cant offroad as often.

Asking proof for one's action is more of hitting below the belt, if the other guy is giving bs it will come out in the open now or the later.

Oh and about the topic: it makes me laugh. What next Propeller Aircraft versus Jetliner's? Both can fly and very well at that but
Old 20th June 2008, 16:40   #41
DKG
Senior - BHPian

@Jango, I gather the FJ has made an appearance on the Rubicon trail, I think they call it the Rubithon?? My guess is this vehicle will soon become the darling of extreme offroad enthusiasts the world over. I think you can order it with centre, front and rear diff locks if I remember reading correctly
Old 20th June 2008, 16:58   #42
BANNED

Quote:
I think you can order it with centre, front and rear diff locks if I remember reading correctly
Yes! But it also depends where you are buying it from too. In the middle east, it comes with just the option of centre diff locks.
Old 20th June 2008, 17:00   #43
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Yes! But it also depends where you are buying it from too. In the middle east, it comes with just the option of centre diff locks.
Then it would be equipped with LSD's in that case for the middle eastern market.
Old 20th June 2008, 17:17   #44
Senior - BHPian

I am not an experience offorader, but I do offroading every monsoon .

Jokes apart, both Mahindra and Toyota offroaders are capable, but comparing them is like comparing Hero Honda Splendor with 600cc+ Yamaha R6 on a race track.

Mahindra jeeps are extremely good offraoders considering their price i.e when price to performance ( off roading performance, that is ) ratio is considered. Toyota loses out here, but then it makes up for this in fantastic offroading ability.

M&M jeeps stand good at their place and Toyota at theirs.

Some of the best offroading machines are, IMO, Toyota Land Cruiser, Mitsubishi Pajero, Nissan Patrol, Suzuki Gypsy/Jimmy ( dont know what was its international name in past ).

IIRC, the Suzuki Jimmy sold in UK defeated Cayanee in offroading .

But for shear offroading, toyota Land Cruiser wins.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 20th June 2008 at 17:21.
Old 20th June 2008, 18:20   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Having owned a Landcruiser (not prado) for a number of years and also Jeeps, I think they both fill different needs.

In my opinion Jeeps are extremely capable on road, but their highway driving dynamics are outright scary. Even the Jeep wranglers sold in the west until a few years back was pretty scary to handle at highway speeds in the west.

I wouldn't say Landcruiser is the best off-roader since this debate will never end. However, what really impresses me about the Landcruiser is how Toyota has made an excellent off-roader and a great highway/family car in one package. It is extremely comfortable and composed on highway cruiser with strong off-road credentials.

Just my 2 cents.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks