Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2009, 19:01   #121
BHPian

Aaaargh,....sand dunes,...that's all you got DXB boys !! Back home that is just one of the other diverse landscape that we scale !! Nuff already, brute force and tactile bhp aint nothing without complementing grace and skill !! Seeing is believing, and I aint seen any SUV get places the jeep can !! I used the word Jeep,. No mention of vintage or make here !!
Old 16th November 2009, 13:00   #122
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thread! Any similar argument raging anywhere about MM and Gypsy?!
Old 16th November 2009, 18:59   #123
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Not really. Most MM owners respect the Gypsy for its reliability, high-revving engine and nimble nature while Gypsy owners like MMs for the diesel torque, cheap to fix build and robustness. In a way, Jeeps & Gypsies are so similar (old school, light, basic, great offroaders) yet so different (Jap versus Indian build, petrol versus diesel etc.).

But if you insist, here is a thoroughly interestingr read on the pros & cons of each.
Old 16th November 2009, 19:29   #124
Senior - BHPian

Posts comparing the modern 4WD vs Mahindra 4WD are on the taprobana thread.

Some insight:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1564656-post11.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1577042-post38.html
Old 15th December 2009, 09:49   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
that would be silly because there really isnt any comparison. the Mahindra products are true-blue off-roaders that can kick our collective Gypsy butts when climbing rocks, V-trenches and nasty stuff like that.

the petrol engine of the Gypsy is both a pro and a con: its reliable and silent which makes it an ultimate asset for forest use. With the right wheels and some minor creature comforts it is a decent highway tourer as well. but its high-revving and low-torque as compared to the oil burners on the Mahindra's.

off-road, the M&M's will run circles around us man. No point fighting over this! Accept that and move on...

Last edited by COUGAR : 15th December 2009 at 09:51.
Old 15th December 2009, 12:12   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
off-road, the M&M's will run circles around us man. No point fighting over this! Accept that and move on...
Oh Really? Oh My GOD!
Old 15th December 2009, 12:19   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am yet to see an obstacle that was cleared by a Jeep and not by a Gypsy. And I have the CJ340, the mountain goat.
Old 15th December 2009, 12:31   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cougar,
Nice attempt to create controversy. Jeep and a Gypsy have learned to live in harmony. They know each others abilities and disabilities. There is no absolute everything..both jeepers and Gypsy guys understand that.

Samurai, Headers and me all are jeepers as you may know

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 15th December 2009 at 12:32.
Old 15th December 2009, 14:33   #129
BHPian

Wonderful Read, very interesting points and views shared. But ultimately everything boils down to the single word 'MONEY' that decides the Vehicle and the Terrain.

OT: Why doesn't the MM have A/C and power steering, any particular technical reason for that? I believe these technologies were in place for long time. Pardon if this is a silly question.
Old 15th December 2009, 14:50   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Jeep and a Gypsy have learned to live in harmony. They know each others abilities and disabilities. There is no absolute everything..both jeepers and Gypsy guys understand that.
THats what i said honey! both occupy their own special place.

mine is bigger/better than yours syndrome does not happen between Gypsy and Jeeper bros! That is left to those who drive around in 1BHK and 2BHK's :P
Old 17th December 2009, 02:44   #131
BHPian

Quote:
THats what i said honey! both occupy their own special place.

mine is bigger/better than yours syndrome does not happen between Gypsy and Jeeper bros! That is left to those who drive around in 1BHK and 2BHK's :P
Hahaha!!

P.S : I really wish that the Dubai boys had gotten to Arka enough toget him riled up enough for him to challenge them. But I think he neatly stepped aside. Damn. That would have been intersting.

@DKG: You and only you sounded like you had something to prove other than the "Modern is great" theory.
I did not see your response to the question " why did you shift from from Modern 4x4s to Modern SWB 4X4s".
Old 31st December 2009, 22:15   #132
BHPian

Look what I dug up !!

Some more ammo. for this never ending battle on Old vs. New !

Personally I'd have one of each please....!

Old 1st January 2010, 09:02   #133
Team-BHP Support

Well, the old 1979 LC didn't really fail. Water getting into the cabin is not really failure, it didn't get stuck and didn't need to be rescued.

The last challenge, getting down a 80 degree smooth ramp, the driver chickened out, can't blame the vehicle. Arka would have taken it down.

Why were they talking about brakes? In a smooth descent like that, you don't need brakes. These guys have very different offroading techniques than us.
Old 1st January 2010, 11:17   #134
BHPian

Agree 100% with you @Samurai for me the LC won heart over mind anyway.

The decline was certainly doable even in a CJ3B,..I guess the west is so much more concerned about safety aspects than we do here in India.

Do note that the LC by then had taken his top off and did not have either a roll bar or a 5 point seat harness. I guess they would have been taken to task if they had shown a dangerous stunt (by their standards on regular TV, in a vehicle not meeting requisite safety criteria.

Australian Police also happens to have a very heavy hand in dealing with any breach of road rules and safety aspects.
Old 2nd January 2010, 08:15   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

The last challenge, getting down a 80 degree smooth ramp, the driver chickened out, can't blame the vehicle. Arka would have taken it down.
And make one take it up as well

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks