Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2008, 17:57   #46
Senior - BHPian

Turbo?

Anybody ever try a turbo on the 1000cc or the 1300cc ??
Old 7th July 2008, 18:26   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Anybody ever try a turbo on the 1000cc or the 1300cc ??
Its not impossible to Turbo a 1000cc or 1300cc in the gypsy. But why would anyone want to do it? What we require in offroad is low end torque and loads of it. IMO turbos help engine generate more power!
Old 7th July 2008, 18:53   #48
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Its not impossible to Turbo a 1000cc or 1300cc in the gypsy. But why would anyone want to do it? What we require in offroad is low end torque and loads of it. IMO turbos help engine generate more power!
I agree with you when you say a turbo will be less beneficial in a Gypsy 1.3/1.0 that is primarily used for off roading.

but I think the explanation you gave has to be worded differently.
there will be more torque and power produced in a turbo charged vehicle, just that it wont be available low down in the rev range.

Old 7th July 2008, 18:58   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I agree with you when you say a turbo will be less beneficial in a Gypsy 1.3/1.0 that is primarily used for off roading.

but I think the explanation you gave has to be worded differently.
there will be more torque and power produced in a turbo charged vehicle, just that it wont be available low down in the rev range.
Thank you very much Sir. I agree 100%
Old 7th July 2008, 20:57   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Ya, I knew what he meant but thanks. And he is probably right. I am not that keen on sitting outside at 2am in Ladakh, minus 10 degrees trying to forge a new turbo vane from a discarded beer can anyway. Keep It Simple Stupid.
Old 8th July 2008, 01:43   #51
Senior - BHPian

fuel average

However, you think it is possible? I was thinking turbo more as an answer to the rather disappointing fuel average of the Gypsy rather than for additional power. And, if it is the right "fast on" turbo, a good one, then it will supply some low end grunt, if not a lot.
Old 8th July 2008, 04:51   #52
Senior - BHPian

turbo charging the 1.3- will not be very difficult- but the practicality of a turbocharged vehicle would be questionable considering its requirement for power is at the lower powerband.

however- a supercharger might be more helpful- considering there iwll be no lag- and you get the power from the start. so - this would help considering the actual need of the engine / offroading capabilities.
Old 8th July 2008, 08:03   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I was thinking turbo more as an answer to the rather disappointing fuel average of the Gypsy rather than for additional power. And, if it is the right "fast on" turbo, a good one, then it will supply some low end grunt, if not a lot.
For a dissapointing fuel supply, you could

1. Change the jetting
2. change the carburettor
3. Add an aditional Fuel Pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
turbo charging the 1.3- will not be very difficult- but the practicality of a turbocharged vehicle would be questionable considering its requirement for power is at the lower powerband.

however- a supercharger might be more helpful- considering there iwll be no lag- and you get the power from the start. so - this would help considering the actual need of the engine / offroading capabilities.

The additional load on the engine negates the additional power increase. Also, one needs to play with the intake length to increase low end torque. Changing the flywheel also helps!
Old 8th July 2008, 10:22   #54
BHPian

Hi Spitfire,
If you want to raise your vehicle height / SPOA You can do it very well here in GOA itself using all LOCAL stuff . Contact Vincy of UNIMECH at Camarcazana , Mapusa (9422057517)and he will do whatever you wish.To his credit he has successfully done this to a custom made jeep as well as to a SWIFT and a new palio. I will try and post the pics.You may ask why the swift and palio , It is because they both belong to a friend of ours who uses them in his mines.
cheers
cheers
Old 8th July 2008, 10:34   #55
BANNED

@rallystar: Thanks dude for the details, coming down to Goa this weekend. Will get in touch with Vincy for sure. And regarding the Jeep and the Swift, yeah i have seen those, St-Inez right?
Old 8th July 2008, 12:32   #56
Senior - BHPian

yes the swift is parked at St Inez.... vincy does a good job, His Jeep is great, the yellow one, it's got disc brakes at the rear too. great guy.
Old 8th July 2008, 12:48   #57
BANNED

Yeah seen the yellow jeep too. Disc's on the rear is slightly OTT. You have a PM we are going OT here.
Old 15th July 2008, 21:00   #58

hi jyobeb, ex670c and all other diehard gypsies my little 410W is growing day by day and i have completed the 4 door and the water line. the top will follow. all metal. actually i bought a hard top and i am discarding the fibre top.

Dear friends i have found a toyota 1nT one in chennai and one in Mumbai but in the meantime i have got an interesting find- a swift diesel engine.(result of an Accident and the engine compartment is intact. i am trying with the insurance companies and i do not know the end result- you know the govt run insurance companies and they have all the red tape procedures- and i dont know if i can get thru).

coming back to the point of a 5 speed gypsy king gear box instead of my a 4 speed one already in the vehicle i want to know if the differential of the 410W and the King versions are the same. can you please help. many thanks. Ravi
Old 19th July 2008, 02:03   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun ravi.k View Post
coming back to the point of a 5 speed gypsy king gear box instead of my a 4 speed one already in the vehicle i want to know if the differential of the 410W and the King versions are the same. can you please help. many thanks. Ravi
the differential tubes of the 410w and 413w are identical..
they run different ratios though...
cheers
Old 19th July 2008, 05:12   #60
Senior - BHPian

I talked to a guy in the Punjab yesterday about swapping in Toyota diesels into Gypsys. They had one in the shop that they showed me. They had installed a Toyota 3C into it. It was cramped but it fit. They did NOT retain the four wheel drive, however.

When I asked them if they did Toyota 2ct swaps while retaining the four wheel drive he said it is not possible. When I explained to him that the Gypsy had a divorced transfer case he muttered something about gear ratios and the fact that the petrol is high revving and the 2ct is low revving therefore it is not a good idea. Since the only languages he and I had in common was his poor English and my worse Hindi I could not understand him fully. Any of this gear ratio stuff sound believable to you guys? He does 2ct conversions but does not retain the four wheel drive. This makes me wonder what gears he was talking about since the only difference should be the T.C.

Otherwise it seemed like a good shop and I would consider having mods done there. They do Mahindra based stuff also. But this one little bit of mis-information has me worried.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 19th July 2008 at 05:15. Reason: sp

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks