Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2008, 11:46   #61

Hi Gotzuk saw your gallery and man i envy you with your mountain goat (gypsy) amidst the mighty himalayas. Very much wish to be there myself. and thanks to let me know that the differential housing is the same. also the dimensions of 410w is the same as the king. now i shall give a good try on the 5 speed king gear box and the differential gears. In fact i had purchased a good condition Toyota 1NT diesel engine yesterday from Chennai and i can go ahead making the engine plate once i get a king gearbox. Also mate i have purchased a power steering for my gypsy- an imported one of the suzuki jimmy- which will suit without any alterations. will let you all know on the developments.
Old 19th July 2008, 13:18   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun ravi.k View Post
Also mate i have purchased a power steering for my gypsy- an imported one of the suzuki jimmy- which will suit without any alterations. will let you all know on the developments.
thats interesting arun.
please post the power steering install in detail..
cheers
Old 20th July 2008, 11:06   #63

Hi Gotzuk the power steering box is much similar in shape to the original one but slightly bulkier. The Toyota 1N turbo diesel engine i have bought has the power steering pump and a return oil tank for the p.s.

Actually Jyobeb and Arka were the two members who helped me in deciding on the Toyota 1NT. The torque is very good and as for power it generates reasonable 67 hp-i am happy about the choice eventhough the engine was a bit on the expensive side.

I shall post the pictures of the power steering unit in a few days time and will also let all members know the performance after it is installed and i do some good test driving.
Old 21st July 2008, 10:47   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Arun,

All the best for your mods and do post the pictures and report of your mods. With Arka advising you, you can;t go wrong with the engine choice.

Hoping to see your Gypsy in action soon.
Old 21st July 2008, 14:14   #65
Senior - BHPian

Gear-Ratios and Engine Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
When I asked them if they did Toyota 2ct swaps while retaining the four wheel drive he said it is not possible. When I explained to him that the Gypsy had a divorced transfer case he muttered something about gear ratios and the fact that the petrol is high revving and the 2ct is low revving therefore it is not a good idea.
Hi Dirty Dan,

1) If it is rear wheel drive then it can be made 4WD
a) Add T-Case
b) Add front differential with same ratio as rear

2) More detailed is the gearing.
1) all 4WDs (manual) diesel or petrol have ratios like this
1st -5-4.5:1
2nd - 4-2.5:1
3rd - 2-1.5:1
4th - 1:1
5th - 0.86-0.73:1

3) Diff-Ratio (Final Drive)
Petrols = Lower Ratio (reduction to increase torque or reach per torque rpm)
Diesels = Higher Ratio (Allow more wheel rpm)

4) Incase you cannot get lower diff-ratio, you can put a taller tyre, to lower the effective diff-ratio yet maintain maximum torque at the wheel because of the actual diff-ratio.

Regards,

Arka
Old 21st July 2008, 14:31   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post

3) Diff-Ratio (Final Drive)
Petrols = Lower Ratio (reduction to increase torque or reach per torque rpm)
Diesels = Higher Ratio (Allow more wheel rpm)

Regards,

Arka
Arka,

Do you know of any options available here in India to add an 'ultra low gear' for a Gypsy, that would make it a 'true rock crawler' and give oodles of 'low rpm torque'?

I am talking of something similar to this.

Rockcrawler 6.50
Old 21st July 2008, 15:04   #67
Senior - BHPian

Lower T-case Ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Arka,

Do you know of any options available here in India to add an 'ultra low gear' for a Gypsy, that would make it a 'true rock crawler' and give oodles of 'low rpm torque'?

Rockcrawler 6.50
How about a Dual Gear box or Dual T-Case Setup

1)5 Speed X 4 speed x 2 Speed(T-Case)
2)5 Speed X 2 Speed X 2 Speed
Old 21st July 2008, 15:12   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
How about a Dual Gear box or Dual T-Case Setup

1)5 Speed X 4 speed x 2 Speed(T-Case)
2)5 Speed X 2 Speed X 2 Speed
mmmmmmm... wouldn't that be a bit of a hassle? Have read about those also being done outside of India but these were by and large discontinued in favour of the drop-in/swap options of the 'rockcrawler' options available outside of India.

So looks like that importing the 'ultra low transfer case gear kit' is the most viable option. I don't think installing it would be an issue here.

Sample instruction set here:
Trail Creeper 6.5 Samurai Gear Instructions
Old 23rd July 2008, 00:46   #69

hi jyobeb, arka, gotzuk and other friends i am on the lookout for king gearbox and differential. are there anything available in the market or do you know sources where i can try. i tried in coimbatore and chennai without any result. is there a place in bangalore? or should i go with my 4 speed ? can you please advise me on this subject?
Old 23rd July 2008, 07:54   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i had purchased a good condition Toyota 1NT diesel engine yesterday from Chennai and i can go ahead making the engine plate once i get a king gearbox. Also mate i have purchased a power steering for my gypsy- an imported one of the suzuki jimmy- which will suit without any alterations. will let you all know on the developments.
Quote:
hi jyobeb, arka, gotzuk and other friends i am on the lookout for king gearbox and differential. are there anything available in the market or do you know sources where i can try. i tried in coimbatore and chennai without any result. is there a place in bangalore? or should i go with my 4 speed ? can you please advise me on this subject?
A king Gearbox differential is a little hard to come by, infact very hard, All I can help you with is a 1.3 carb King Engine!

BTW, dont you think the PS is an overkill. You may not need it in such a light vehicle as steering feedback is very very important in off road situations!
Old 23rd July 2008, 09:23   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
mate, a KING gearbox & diff is literally impossible to find -- unless your lady luck is really smiling on you.
Old 23rd July 2008, 09:44   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Arka,

Rockcrawler 6.50
The US is spoilt for choice. walk into a speed/specialty shop, mention your make/model and walk away with goodies, that is bolt on in most cases.

here we have to struggle for OEM parts.
Old 23rd July 2008, 11:00   #73
BHPian

Quote:
arun,
5 speed gearbox and differentials are available easily in mayapuri, delhi.
if all else fails, they can be sent from here....
cheers
Old 23rd July 2008, 12:38   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
arun,
5 speed gearbox and differentials are available easily in mayapuri, delhi.
if all else fails, they can be sent from here....
cheers
Hi gotzuk, can you tell the price of one set- 5 speed GB with Tx case and F and R differentials. A friend of mine needs one. Thanks

And cost of transportation to Chennai too, please? Thanks again
Old 23rd July 2008, 13:15   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hi gotzuk, can you tell the price of one set- 5 speed GB with Tx case and F and R differentials. A friend of mine needs one. Thanks

And cost of transportation to Chennai too, please? Thanks again
i will go to mayapuri this weekend and find out. my guess is that the cost of transportation and packing by gati should not be more than 3000-3500 rupees.
cheers

Most Viewed