Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2012, 16:57   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Diff-Locks vs LSD

PS: Don't know if anyone else suggested it above, but for dual-purpose vehicles, a number of people in U.S. off-road forums suggest using an automatic locker only in the FRONT diff. That way, it can do it's job when most needed (nasty off-road conditions), but once the 4x4 is disengaged, it has no effects on driveability whatsoever. A LSD could still be used in the REAR, which should make for a very effective combination under most offroad conditions while not creating any compromises on the street.

Last edited by ringoism : 3rd September 2012 at 16:58.
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 19:48   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
PS: Don't know if anyone else suggested it above, but for dual-purpose vehicles, a number of people in U.S. off-road forums suggest using an automatic locker only in the FRONT diff. That way, it can do it's job when most needed (nasty off-road conditions), but once the 4x4 is disengaged, it has no effects on driveability whatsoever. A LSD could still be used in the REAR, which should make for a very effective combination under most offroad conditions while not creating any compromises on the street.
One needs to have Free wheelin hubs installed for the above, else one will have understeer issues ONROAD!!
Old 4th September 2012, 11:32   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
One needs to have Free wheelin hubs installed for the above, else one will have understeer issues ONROAD!!
The way they're supposed to work, automatic lockers would not engage at all until there was torque applied; with your 4x4 lever disengaged, there would be no torque - hence no onroad understeer issues... However, I think lockout hubs are a great idea anyway for other reasons and I suppose they could prevent disasters if an automatic locker should somehow malfunction (if that's possible).
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 12:09   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
The way they're supposed to work, automatic lockers would not engage at all until there was torque applied; with your 4x4 lever disengaged, there would be no torque - hence no onroad understeer issues... However, I think lockout hubs are a great idea anyway for other reasons and I suppose they could prevent disasters if an automatic locker should somehow malfunction (if that's possible).
Have you thought about the wheels driving the gears inside the differential? What would happen in an automatic locker setup then?
Old 30th January 2013, 21:30   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Instead they are allowing 2WD Scorpios in Mahindra Escape.
Not to mention the '4' AWD???4WD XUVs they had for the ASEAN thing which comprised of more than 30 vehicles . . .!!!
Ask Hormazd, he'll validate!!!
Old 24th March 2013, 19:42   #111
BHPian

Learned Gurus,

I was intending to acquire a Scorpio 4x4 and install an auto locking diff in the rear, like 1100D Sir has done (see Marengo: Rocky Beige Scorpio mHawk 4WD. 55,555 kms up! post 58). He obtained it from M&M and got it installed at the A.S.S.

However many of you in this thread have said it will adversely affect hoghway driving and handling (posts 1, 6, 26 and 89).

From 1100D Sir's posts, my understanding is that the locker becomes inactive when speed touches around 20 kmph.

Can you please provide some additional clarity on the subject that would help me? I have also posted in 1100D Sir's thread asking his experiences over the longer term (10-11 months).

Thanks.
Old 25th March 2013, 19:21   #112
Senior - BHPian

Go ahead and fit it No issues if the installation is done properly!
Old 25th March 2013, 21:29   #113
BHPian

Thank you headers! In response to my question in 1100D's thread, n.devdath has clarified that he has driven at speeds of 155 kmph with the diff locked installed in his read axle, so I think this is good to go.
TheTeacher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 12:07   #114
BHPian

A small portion of some hard earned money has been approved by the Finance/Home Ministry to be spent on the Jeep, following intense negotiations and a few unmentionable sacrifices. I want to spend it wisely (!!!). Therefore, requesting expert advice on how to achieve what I want (if that is indeed possible)

What I have currently, is the Jeep CJ 500D refurbished and in service for many years. The tires are mounted on Gypsy R15 (I am told) standard discs both for the MT and AT set. To my knowledge, both differentials are standard stock and have been opened only for maintenance (replacement might have happened prior to 2010, when the Jeep was under my Father’s control). The front brakes are disc type and the rear ones are drum type.

At the risk of sounding stupid, what I want is to swap the existing differential assembly with that of a pick-up and install differential locks (manual) for both the front and rear assemblies. Please note that the Jeep is exposed to moderate tier-3 city traffic and reasonable off-roading and some expeditions at the beach.

I have approached my mechanic for the swap, and have been told that it has been swapped successfully in the past.

Now for the technical and reasonableness justification, I turn to you all

Thank You
Old 18th October 2015, 00:40   #115
BHPian

After doing much research, I have decided to plunge for a rear differential locker, specifically the M Locker from Eaton, am going to fit it in my 2012 CRDe Thar, now clocking 75000 kms.

Where I stay in rural Himachal, there's snow/sleet/ice on the roads from early December till late March, and despite decent tread and a 4x4, uphill can be a bit hairy at times. The Thar got stuck a few times last winter going uphill in the estate, and spinning free rear tires simply didn't enable enough grip on turns for it to climb, I had to simply leave the vehicle there and came back when the snow melted the next day, this can be quite a downer, esp. as the steep uphill section is small and once on the main road even regular hatchbacks can ply.

There are a lot of conflicting opinions out there on the net on auto locking diff's, in general I gathered they can be useful in snow/ice esp. at low speeds, many people also say that an auto locking rear differential is absolute rubbish on snow as on uneven camber it may pull the vehicle to the sloping side. I believe I would need to adjust driving styles after its installed, and be very careful in letting anyone else driving it.

Damage: 28k, shipping from Eaton's distributor in Delhi to Shimla.
Old 19th October 2015, 11:35   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillyThar View Post
After doing much research, I have decided to plunge for a rear differential locker, specifically the M Locker from Eaton, am going to fit it in my 2012 CRDe Thar, now clocking 75000 kms.

Where I stay in rural Himachal, there's snow/sleet/ice on the roads from early December till late March, and despite decent tread and a 4x4, uphill can be a bit hairy at times. The Thar got stuck a few times last winter going uphill in the estate, and spinning free rear tires simply didn't enable enough grip on turns for it to climb, I had to simply leave the vehicle there and came back when the snow melted the next day, this can be quite a downer, esp. as the steep uphill section is small and once on the main road even regular hatchbacks can ply.

There are a lot of conflicting opinions out there on the net on auto locking diff's, in general I gathered they can be useful in snow/ice esp. at low speeds, many people also say that an auto locking rear differential is absolute rubbish on snow as on uneven camber it may pull the vehicle to the sloping side. I believe I would need to adjust driving styles after its installed, and be very careful in letting anyone else driving it.

Damage: 28k, shipping from Eaton's distributor in Delhi to Shimla.
Its much better and cheaper to just go for a pair of snow chains for rear wheels. Thar has good wheelwell clearance. I doubt having a locker is going to give you a significant advantage.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 21:24   #117
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, your opinion on snowchains and mudplugging?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 19th October 2015, 22:29   #118
BHPian

As I said, opinions on auto rear lockers in snow are varied. I do have a pair of these snow chains, and use them when on a long stretch of more or less constant snow where they are very helpful.

Lets see how the lockers work this snow, will update with a report then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its much better and cheaper to just go for a pair of snow chains for rear wheels. Thar has good wheelwell clearance. I doubt having a locker is going to give you a significant advantage.
HillyThar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 00:46   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Tanveer, your opinion on snowchains and mudplugging?

Regards
Sutripta
There is a class of chains called mud-chains. They are thicker snow chains and require high level of wheel well clearance. But they are frowned upon in trails because they permanently wreck them. However, in specialty events, they are used.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 21:42   #120
Senior - BHPian

^^^
And snow chains and studs are normally banned on proper roads for the same reason.

My reason for asking you was because you have snowchains, have you ever used them in mud, and if so, your comments.

Regards
Sutripta

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks