Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2015, 23:34   #121
Team-BHP Support

Re: Diff-Locks vs LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
And snow chains and studs are normally banned on proper roads for the same reason.

My reason for asking you was because you have snowchains, have you ever used them in mud, and if so, your comments.

Regards
Sutripta
No, I have only used them in snow. Never in mud. I have ventured in mud only once, and got royally stuck. Never tried again.
Old 26th August 2017, 11:27   #122
BANNED

Folks
I've decided to put an LSD in my Gypsy. Is the Eaton Helical gear Truetrac suitable for the rear axle? The product literature only mentions Chrysler, GM, Toyota etc but no Suzuki.

Thanks
R
Old 2nd September 2017, 13:37   #123
Senior - BHPian

You could go for powertrax better than Eaton and some of us have used it.
Old 26th September 2017, 06:47   #124
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
You could go for powertrax better than Eaton and some of us have used it.
Thanks. This doesn't look like an LSD - it is a fully locking diff.
I was looking at this - http://www.tractionconcepts.com/Suzu.../tcxsz4528.htm
Seems to be friction plate type. There are allegations this was earlier known by the brand name "Phantom Grip" and that it has destroyed many Axles.

This is an old thread and a lot of good stuff has already been discussed in this thread. Moving away from generics and fundamentals already explained - I would like to weigh the pros and cons of this design before I go for it.

Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 26th September 2017 at 07:11.
Old 2nd October 2017, 07:57   #125
Senior - BHPian

Personally I'd prefer a full locker than a LSD as there is positive traction at all times. Setting up the locker correctly is the key to proper operation!!😋
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 11:01   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillyThar View Post
After doing much research, I have decided to plunge for a rear differential locker, specifically the M Locker from Eaton, am going to fit it in my 2012 CRDe Thar, now clocking 75000 kms.

Hi, how was your experience, after adding the lockers, specifically on snow/ice?
Was it worth the upgrade and how did it affect the drive ability?

Last edited by ampere : 22nd February 2019 at 11:13. Reason: compacted quoted post
Old 24th September 2019, 12:02   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralto View Post
Hi, how was your experience, after adding the lockers, specifically on snow/ice?
Was it worth the upgrade and how did it affect the drive ability?

I have sold off the Thar since once it clocked 100k+ kms and I was just too tired of it's shenanigans. On the LSD, the Eaton LSD is the same one that's was put as standard in the updated Thar, and it was a relatively simple fit.

Was it worth the upgrade, yes. I have 4 months of snow and ice a year, and wanted to get all the tools available to make the drive as safe as possible, and the LSD is one of them.

The Thar's back does have a tendency to go out on ice, esp on icy curves and on steeper inclines, and it did help there over not having an LSD. That said, after driving on snow for 6 years with the Thar, I was always on tenterhooks when driving on snow, and the Thar, despite the 4L and LSD, never gave me full confidence on snow.

The trouble with our mid hills is that the temperature does not get very low at night, and warms up enough in the day to melt the snow, and it freezes again at night, accumulating a layer of black ice that makes driving very treacherous. I took the Thar pre-LSD installation in January to Kibber, where day temperatures were around -8 to -15, and driving on compacted snow on those temperatures was not a problem at all with the Michelin Cross Contacts, but even a few inches can trick you in the middle Himalaya's!

To conclude, your mileage and experience on snow is dependent on many factors: Tyres, Temperature, Centre of Gravity etc, but adding an LSD to the arsenal will only help.
HillyThar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 16:17   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillyThar View Post
. That said, after driving on snow for 6 years with the Thar, I was always on tenterhooks when driving on snow, and the Thar, despite the 4L and LSD, never gave me full confidence on snow....

The trouble with our mid hills is that the temperature does not get very low at night, and warms up enough in the day to melt the snow, and it freezes again at night, accumulating a layer of black ice that makes driving very treacherous.

To conclude, your mileage and experience on snow is dependent on many factors: Tyres, Temperature, Centre of Gravity etc, but adding an LSD to the arsenal will only help.
Ice has wrecked many an intrepid 4X4 vehicle and driver in North America. Black ice is especially nasty as you may not see it until you are on it, if then, and that is too late. You can, perhaps, go much better than 4X2s only to find that you can't stop. 4 wheel drive doesn't help you much stopping. The other thing that often happens is that you and your wonderful 4X4 are handling the the deep snow only to come to a point in the road that is blocked by a whole herd of 4X2s who should have stayed home and who are roundly stuck and have the road impossibly blocked. In this case your 4X4 provides no remedy. Sometimes it is wiser to park it and stay home and tickle Sunita. Despite all of that, when the conditions are right, four wheeling in the snow can be a blast!
DirtyDan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed