Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2010, 19:07   #76
BHPian

hi santosh,
thank you for your input , will surely let you know if i need your help in geting it thanks
rahul
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:37   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

LSD Rear to Front swap

Can the LSD from the rear of a MM550 axle be swapped to the front? Bolt on?
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:44   #78
Senior - BHPian

Track * Spline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Can the LSD from the rear of a MM550 axle be swapped to the front? Bolt on?
The Track-Lok LSD in the MM550XD is 30 Spline Side Gear for 51" Axles

The Older JEEPs are 10 or 19 Splines for 48.5" Axles
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:58   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
The Track-Lok LSD in the MM550XD is 30 Spline Side Gear for 51" Axles

The Older JEEPs are 10 or 19 Splines for 48.5" Axles
So Arka, you're saying - "yes, in a MM550, the Trac-lok from the rear axle can be swapped to the front - bolt on - and there will be no repercussions on road (due to FWH) and off-road as well?"

I am not bringing in the 3B/10/19 splines into consideration here (though, thats what I have).
Old 2nd July 2010, 17:13   #80
Senior - BHPian

19 vs 30 Spline

Quote:
So Arka, you're saying - "yes, in a MM550, the Trac-lok from the rear axle can be swapped to the front - bolt on - and there will be no repercussions on road (due to FWH) and off-road as well?"

I am not bringing in the 3B/10/19 splines into consideration here (though, thats what I have).

Hi Venkat,

How can I say such a thing when the MM550XD Front Axle and even the newer OKBJ's are 19 Spline.

Regards,

Arka
Old 4th July 2010, 23:08   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Venkat,

How can I say such a thing when the MM550XD Front Axle and even the newer OKBJ's are 19 Spline.

Regards,

Arka
Thanks Arka. So the front axle is 19 Spline and rear axle is 30 spline .

For information's sake - what is your take on LSD for the front axle? What will its effects be on the steering?
Old 4th July 2010, 23:52   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Arka. So the front axle is 19 Spline and rear axle is 30 spline .

For information's sake - what is your take on LSD for the front axle? What will its effects be on the steering?
And I mean this from an off-road + FWH engaged perspective. When trying to clamber out of a tough situation and wheels maybe locked full right/left - will the LSD on the particular wheel having power forced in by the LSD put undue stress on the steering set-up?
Old 5th July 2010, 07:55   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And I mean this from an off-road + FWH engaged perspective. When trying to clamber out of a tough situation and wheels maybe locked full right/left - will the LSD on the particular wheel having power forced in by the LSD put undue stress on the steering set-up?

Venkat, Answer is YES. Whether LSD or Lockers up front will have an effect on steering in offroad situations.
Old 5th July 2010, 13:02   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

So I will rephrase my original poser - can the LSD off the 30 spline rear axle of the MM550 be removed and placed onto a 19 spline front axle - of say an MM540?

If this cannot be done, then are people replacing the front 19 spline (of the 540/550) with the whole rear 30 spline axle (of the 550) to accomodate a front LSD?

What is the way to go to accommodate a domestic army LSD on the front?
Old 5th July 2010, 15:22   #85
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely no chance you can do this without either getting 30 spline front axles (not being manufactured) or replacing the 30 spline spiders with 19 spline ones. (Again not available)
Old 5th July 2010, 17:11   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Absolutely no chance you can do this without either getting 30 spline front axles (not being manufactured) or replacing the 30 spline spiders with 19 spline ones. (Again not available)
*not being manufactured* = can still be got from somewhere. Thanks. Its not something I would do on my 3B since I would probably have to change over to OKBJ and run things through the chassis, but its good to know its possible with an axle swap.

Sreejith Unnithan - are you listening?!
Old 6th July 2010, 15:16   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Does your MM440 have a 19 spline axle? or a 30? Dana 44 indicates the differential type and not the spline count. There are lockers/LSD's available for both 19 & 30 count D-44 type diffs. 3 Jeepers from bangalore (that I know of) have Lockers in their machines. Me, prabhuav and rajeshnarayanan. Many Gypsy'ers also have got lockers...

Note - Mostly likely source of such parts are USA only. My jeep (CJ340) has a 19spl,D44 setup. I got Richmond LockRight Locker for ~350$ (~16,000Rs).
Hey Santhosh, sorry for being slightly OT but I am contemplating installing the Richmond diff locks for my Scorpio(2WD) to try and increase its capability as much as possible to ensure its "all roadability", so to say. I contacted ARB and they informed me that they have stopped manufacturing locks for Dana 44 axles with 19 splines.

A conversation with a friend at Delhi confirmed that Richmond make cable operated(??) diff locks for Dana 44 axles with 19 and 30 splines.

Do you think they would fit the Scorpio's rear diff? How reliable would their fitment be and like you have mentioned, and if you can, can you help me source them from the US please?

Looking forward to your views in the matter.
Old 12th July 2010, 12:18   #88
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Hey Santhosh, sorry for being slightly OT but I am contemplating installing the Richmond diff locks for my Scorpio(2WD) to try and increase its capability as much as possible to ensure its "all roadability", so to say. I contacted ARB and they informed me that they have stopped manufacturing locks for Dana 44 axles with 19 splines.

A conversation with a friend at Delhi confirmed that Richmond make cable operated(??) diff locks for Dana 44 axles with 19 and 30 splines.

Do you think they would fit the Scorpio's rear diff? How reliable would their fitment be and like you have mentioned, and if you can, can you help me source them from the US please?

Looking forward to your views in the matter.
Further to the above question, which still remains unanswered I have done some research and have been told that the Scorpio Getaway comes with either an LSD at the rear for its 4WD version or a lockable rear diff for its 4WD version that is being exported to SA(the waka waka country).

Can someone please confirm this and answer my previous question as well
Old 12th July 2010, 14:32   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
contemplating installing the Richmond diff locks for my Scorpio(2WD)
After driving a 60Hp Jeep with locker and not so great handling, I can safely say 'Do NOT' think of Auto-Locker for a Scorpio Class Vehicle. It is far too risky and would change the on-road manners gravely...

Quote:
to try and increase its capability as much as possible
Good intent...

Quote:
I contacted ARB and they informed me that they have stopped manufacturing locks for Dana 44 axles with 19 splines.
I think so, I never came up with any other product close the LockRight 2413 for a D44,19Spl carrier.

Quote:
Need to check.

Quote:
Do you think they would fit the Scorpio's rear diff?
(a) Does a Scorpio have a Dana-44? (I think yes)
(b) How many splines does it come with? 19 or 30? I dont know...

Quote:
How reliable would their fitment be and like you have mentioned, and if you can, can you help me source them from the US please?
Fitment would be reliable, nothing can go wrong with it. You would just end up making the vehicle far more risky considering its bulk + power.

Quote:
Further to the above question, which still remains unanswered
Apologies....

Quote:
I have done some research and have been told that the Scorpio Getaway comes with either an LSD at the rear for its 4WD version or a lockable rear diff for its 4WD version that is being exported to SA(the waka waka country).
Now we are close to some unique solution. I dont think AnyOne has fit a 2WD Scorpio with a Traction aiding device in India/Tbhp. I can safely say that LSD would be the best possible solution for your Intent of "increase its capability"...

Let me know the 19 or 30 part, I will do some research and touch base offline with you. I can assure you that LSD will help you with 'not' more than 20% better traction than what you have now. (Locker will give you lot more) - but if you have the spare ~400$, and a weeks time to spend at the mechanic's place whilst removing the rear axle housing of the Scorpio (LSD is not a straight forward fit, at least from what I have seen on a Senior's jeep in bangy) - then, lets do it.
Old 13th July 2010, 09:46   #90
BANNED

Quote:
After driving a 60Hp Jeep with locker and not so great handling, I can safely say 'Do NOT' think of Auto-Locker for a Scorpio Class Vehicle. It is far too risky and would change the on-road manners gravely...
Well, the intent is not to use it all the time, rather, the intent to use it only when the vehicle is stuck, not while doing hard core off roading (Do not intend to do anything of that sort) but while trail blazing/dune bashing/travelling to unseen places etc. I hope you get the drift.

Quote:
Good intent...
Thank you. You are among the few people who have appreciated the idea. Most others have been saying there is no point and I d rather sell it and get a 4WD. My answer: Over my dead body.

[quote=svsantosh;1978309]I think so, I never came up with any other product close the LockRight 2413 for a D44,19Spl carrier.
Oh ok....
Quote:
Need to check.
Super, waiting for the results.

Quote:
(a) Does a Scorpio have a Dana-44? (I think yes)
(b) How many splines does it come with? 19 or 30? I dont know...
Trying to get the w/s manual today. Will check and let you know by EoD/tomorrow.

Quote:
Fitment would be reliable, nothing can go wrong with it. You would just end up making the vehicle far more risky considering its bulk + power.
Even if the usage is only when the vehicle is/about to get stuck?

Quote:
Apologies....
Absolutely no issues.

Quote:
Now we are close to some unique solution. I dont think AnyOne has fit a 2WD Scorpio with a Traction aiding device in India/Tbhp. I can safely say that LSD would be the best possible solution for your Intent of "increase its capability"...

Let me know the 19 or 30 part, I will do some research and touch base offline with you. I can assure you that LSD will help you with 'not' more than 20% better traction than what you have now. (Locker will give you lot more) - but if you have the spare ~400$, and a weeks time to spend at the mechanic's place whilst removing the rear axle housing of the Scorpio (LSD is not a straight forward fit, at least from what I have seen on a Senior's jeep in bangy) - then, lets do it.
Now for some more news on this. I have the part number and the cost of the LSD offered on the Getaway 4WD non ABS by M&M. It is around 14.5kINR. Having said that, I believe the cost of fitting and other aggregates would total upto another 8-10k. Yes, I can afford to spend $400 and a week provided reliability & performance is not compromised.

Also, I came to know that Dana makes MLDs for 44 axles that should be straight fit as well. Researching further into this matter as well. Will keep you updated.

Looking forward to your reply.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks