Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2008, 18:12   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Diff-Locks vs LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post

With diff locks they would be unbeatable. Oh and LSD is a compromise. Serious offroaders go for diff locks not LSD's
Agree, that diff locks are WAY WAY superior to LSD. BUT, many of us do use these jeeps/gypsy's as our daily/on-road drives as well. In that situation, the diff-locks would be a nuisance and adversely impact drive-ability.
Old 23rd July 2008, 20:22   #2
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Shahnawaz I saw a website link recently on this forum which speaks of a Lock-rite diff lock for the Suzuki. Have you explored this one?

Also does anyone know of a brand/model of diff locks that fit the Mahindra Major's diffs perfectly?

Last edited by DKG : 23rd July 2008 at 20:24.
Old 23rd July 2008, 21:04   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Also does anyone know of a brand/model of diff locks that fit the Mahindra Major's diffs perfectly?
I wanted to get an LSD for my MM540 and got some info from Arka about this. Assuming the same Dana 44 axles are used in both the MM540 and Major you need to get diff locks/LSDs that are made for Dana 44 axles with 19 splines. They came on the CJ series made from 1970 and earlier.

Also want to add that you can get very good LSDs for about $300 but lockers run about $1000.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 23rd July 2008 at 21:10.
Old 23rd July 2008, 21:55   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Monster_BHP, that's a good TD report. Nice to know that the diff locks 'actually' worked. Am wondering if all 4 wheels had lost traction, then also diff-locks helped.!!!! that's great, if it were indeed the diff-locks working. (Am not for a moment doubting the Gurkha's capability and your report.)
thanks sultan, the diff locks did come in very handy. The rear tyres lost traction and was spinning while the front left was 75% stuck and the right had 100% traction so i guess the front must have pushed us out.

I also heard you have diff locks in your Gypsy?!! how is that working and where did u get that?!!!

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd July 2008 at 22:18. Reason: Post moved to new thread.
Old 23rd July 2008, 22:04   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Agree, that diff locks are WAY WAY superior to LSD. BUT, many of us do use these jeeps/gypsy's as our daily/on-road drives as well. In that situation, the diff-locks would be a nuisance and adversely impact drive-ability.
Locking diffs can be a nuisance during on road driving, not driver selectable diff locks. Most locking diffs use some kind of a centrifugal governor to sense the speed difference between the two wheels. This is responsible for the clanking noise they make.
Alfa_Kilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2008, 22:10   #6
BHPian

Quote:
If you have selectable lockers there is absolutely no impact on driveability on the street. When disengaged, they function like a normal open differentials. I believe that this is what the Gurkha has.

Full mechanical lockers like a Detroit or Lock Rite are always working. They do not have a way to turn off or on. They do have little quirks for street driving. So you could make the argument that these type of lockers do impact driveabilty on the street.
RedMM340 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2008, 09:23   #7
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Considering Mahindra is organising offroad events they could release the 550 with the option of diff locks for enthusiasts. I wonder why they don't
Old 24th July 2008, 09:31   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Considering Mahindra is organising offroad events they could release the 550 with the option of diff locks for enthusiasts. I wonder why they don't
Instead they are allowing 2WD Scorpios in Mahindra Escape.
Old 24th July 2008, 09:35   #9
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Instead they are allowing 2WD Scorpios in Mahindra Escape.
Perhaps if a whole bunch of us put in a request for 550's they would consider? Did anyone broach this issue with the Mahindra official during the Coorg OTR?
Old 24th July 2008, 09:37   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Shahnawaz I saw a website link recently on this forum which speaks of a Lock-rite diff lock for the Suzuki. Have you explored this one?
DKG, am getting LSD very soon for my Gypsy King and am veryyyyyyyyy excited about it. Will not go in for the lockrite etc options for now. In my opinion, we don't do very technical terrains(especially big rocks/boulders) here in India that would make full time locks useful. We do off-roading as a hobby(though a serious hobby) and over time we expand our horizons & capabilities, skills. So appropriate mods can happen as our skill increases.

BTW, the next mod I have planned (after the LSD) is the 'ultra low gear' (rockcrawler) gear set for the Gypsy to give it slow speed 'rock crawling' abilities.
Old 24th July 2008, 09:45   #11
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
DKG, am getting LSD very soon for my Gypsy King and am veryyyyyyyyy excited about it...

BTW, the next mod I have planned (after the LSD) is the 'ultra low gear' (rockcrawler) gear set for the Gypsy to give it slow speed 'rock crawling' abilities.
Do please share details such as make/model/cost of these mods so I can pass the info onto local Gypsy owners.

This rock crawler gear set goes into your transfer case?

Infact if the Gurkha gets delayed indefinitely then I will go for a new Gypsy and upgrade it too. A cousin just picked a new one and its fab

Last edited by DKG : 24th July 2008 at 09:49.
Old 24th July 2008, 11:16   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This rock crawler gear set goes into your transfer case?
Yes. It does go in the transfer case.
Old 24th July 2008, 13:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

How to use the LSD

Quote:
One of the joys of offroading is how you connect with nature through your vehicle. In undulating terrain such as rocks or gullies when one or two wheels may end up in the air you want a direct connect to both wheels so you can do a precision manuevre and free yourself. LSD does not give you that pure connect. It does the job but there's a sense of disconnect and the driver cannot accurately control the behaviour of the wheels. Which is why hardcore enthusiasts want locking diffs. I'd hate to sit at the wheel and give it throttle hoping the LSD will eventually kick in and pull me out. With each tap on the throttle I would want the car to nudge inch by inch
The LSDs on 4WD are Friction Plate Clutch or Conical Clutch they don't kick-in they spin-out or kick-out.

They most effective method to get optimum use from the LSD is to gently tap the throttle and not floor.
Old 24th July 2008, 13:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
They most effective method to get optimum use from the LSD is to gently tap the throttle and not floor.
Arka, I think DKG has a point there. Instead of waiting for the LSD to kick in or kick out, in a rock crawling situation. A solid 100% diff lock is preferable.
Old 24th July 2008, 13:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Arka, I think DKG has a point there. Instead of waiting for the LSD to kick in or kick out, in a rock crawling situation. A solid 100% diff lock is preferable.
Technically,yes.
But, what are our viable options for gypsies and jeeps??
LSD is the closest we can get to differential locks for our indian 4x4s.
Quoting 4x4addict, LSDs cost $300 while a differential lock kit starts at $1000.
PS: Guys, What about the ARB air-locker kit? They would be a good option.

Most Viewed