Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2008, 13:52   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Quoting 4x4addict, LSDs cost $300 while a differential lock kit starts at $1000PS: Guys, What about the ARB air-locker kit? They would be a good option....
Ironically, for a Gypsy(Samurai), the LSD is now approx $400+ while the locker kit is available for $200.The ARB-Locker kit is upwards of $850 and you need to have mods for having air compressor etc..
Old 24th July 2008, 13:56   #17
BHPian

The 'locker' and 'lock' are different devices. The locker is an automatic device which usually operates with some speed governor. A proper differential lock is always manually operated by the driver from the cab. It is a more complex and expensive device.
Old 24th July 2008, 14:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Ironically, for a Gypsy(Samurai), the LSD is now approx $400+ while the locker kit is available for $200.The ARB-Locker kit is upwards of $850 and you need to have mods for having air compressor etc..
Can you PM me the locker kit details - Its a steal for $200 IMO.
Old 24th July 2008, 14:05   #19
Senior - BHPian

Kick-in or Kick-out

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Arka, I think DKG has a point there. Instead of waiting for the LSD to kick in or kick out, in a rock crawling situation. A solid 100% diff lock is preferable.
Hi Vikram,

a Diff-Lock is 100% and absolutely my first choice.

But getting one and installing was quite frustrating.

Auto-Lockers I did not want to try them before trying out LSD, I consider them higher on the ladder.

LSD - Cheapest, easier to install and easier to service.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2008, 14:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
a Diff-Lock is 100% and absolutely my first choice.

Thanks arka, btw, you dont have to be so "formal"
Old 24th July 2008, 15:01   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you PM me the locker kit details - Its a steal for $200 IMO.
Here's the info: Lock right lockers Shipping will be approx $100 (UPS) + ~30% duty.
Old 24th July 2008, 15:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

Import Duty

Quote:
Here's the info: Lock right lockers Shipping will be approx $100 (UPS) + ~30% duty.
Duty will be (cost of locker + shipping) x1.56(56%)
Old 24th July 2008, 15:21   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Duty will be (cost of locker + shipping) x1.56(56%)
In that case, I stand corrected on the duty part. I had read somewhere on this forum itself that if shipping through UPS/FedEx etc, one CAN"T avoid the 30% duty.Also, didn't know that the duty is on the invoice cost + shipping costs.Cheers,
Old 24th July 2008, 15:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Differential Locks

There are many types of Diff-Locks
Depending on their Locking Mechanism mechanism

1) External Locking (Lock Mechanism is outside the carrier assembly) Unimog/MB GWagen

2) Internal Locking (Lock Mechanism inside the carrier assembly, i.e spider gears) Tatra, Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer/Halflinger/ TLC Electric Lockers.

After Market Diff-Locks are based on 2) Internal Locking.

They can be further classified as
1) Automatic/Auto-Locker. (Eaton/EZ-Locker/Tru-Locker etc
2) Selectable (ARB/OX-Locker/Offrotec/Eaton/Auburn Gear ECTED

The Locking Mechanism is Actuated by
1) Mechanical Leverage/ Linkage or Cable. - Trax Gurkha/Gwagen
2) Solenoid Switch - ECTED & Toyota/Nissan
3) Hydraulic Pressure - Tatra/ALS/Tata
4) Pneumatic Pressure - ARB
Old 24th July 2008, 15:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

Types of LSD

1) Viscous Coupling - Fiat Panda/Subaru Imprezza
2) Friction-Plate Clutch - Dana Trax-Lock
3) Conical Clutch - Auburn Gear Sure-Grip
Old 24th July 2008, 17:33   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Arka, I think DKG has a point there. Instead of waiting for the LSD to kick in or kick out, in a rock crawling situation. A solid 100% diff lock is preferable.
I would agree that the Diff Locks should be the first choice. But between diff locks, they have the more expensive selectable once which you turn on/off independently like the Gurkha's or the ARB locks. Then there are the automatic ones like Arka pointed out above. These automatic ones definitely will affect the drivability of the vehicle in dry tarmac when accelerating and taking turns. You will hear fairly loud clicking sounds etc each time they engage/disengage etc and if you put them up front you will definitely increase tire wear and tear. If you go for Lockers, I suggest spring for the selectable ones which allow you to enable them when needed. The auto diff locks are cheaper and the prices are comparable to LSDs but between the cheaper diff locks and the LSDs, I would spring for the LSDs cause as Arka pointed out, they are much easier to install. Also you don't have to deal with the negative impact on the drive train caused by the automatic diff locks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
PS: Guys, What about the ARB air-locker kit? They would be a good option.
I hear varying opinions about the air-locker kit. Many hard core enthusiasts express concerns about the compressor failing or the air tubes springing a leak in a critical time and not being able to engage them when needed. Some prefer the Ox Locker over the ARBs.

Quote:
Khan, see my comment about the automatic locker, they do intrude when driving and turn fast on dry tarred roads.

If you have free wheeling hubs, one option could be to use LSDs at the back and automatic diff locks up front so the diff locks will kick in only when your front hubs are locked. This is what I am leaning towards.
Old 24th July 2008, 18:39   #27
BHPian

Some more production off-roaders that use locking diffs.

Arka,

Am aware of some other vehicles with OE std fitted front / rear driver-actuated diff locks, in addition to those mentioned by you.

Dodge Ram Power Wagon (front and rear) : PickupTruck.Com - Road Test: Dodge Ram Power Wagon

Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (front and rear) : Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Offroad Package

Toyota FJ Cruiser (rear only) : Full Test: 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Some models of Hummers (probably the Alpha versions of H1/H3) may have this feature as well, but only on the rear. It appears LR does not offer this feature, however.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
Old 24th July 2008, 19:48   #28
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Arka my 207 has a rear Dana 44. Don't know how many splines. Would you know what kind of LSD would fit it?
Old 24th July 2008, 20:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
If you have free wheeling hubs, one option could be to use LSDs at the back and automatic diff locks up front so the diff locks will kick in only when your front hubs are locked. This is what I am leaning towards.

Very clever! You ever find that Scorpio motor? Arka, it is time you set up shop and got paid for all your help.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 24th July 2008 at 20:40. Reason: @@
Old 24th July 2008, 21:46   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I would agree that the Diff Locks should be the first choice. But between diff locks, they have the more expensive selectable once which you turn on/off independently like the Gurkha's or the ARB locks. Then there are the automatic ones like Arka pointed out above. These automatic ones definitely will affect the drivability of the vehicle in dry tarmac when accelerating and taking turns. You will hear fairly loud clicking sounds etc each time they engage/disengage etc and if you put them up front you will definitely increase tire wear and tear. If you go for Lockers, I suggest spring for the selectable ones which allow you to enable them when needed. The auto diff locks are cheaper and the prices are comparable to LSDs but between the cheaper diff locks and the LSDs, I would spring for the LSDs cause as Arka pointed out, they are much easier to install. Also you don't have to deal with the negative impact on the drive train caused by the automatic diff locks.

I hear varying opinions about the air-locker kit. Many hard core enthusiasts express concerns about the compressor failing or the air tubes springing a leak in a critical time and not being able to engage them when needed. Some prefer the Ox Locker over the ARBs.

Khan, see my comment about the automatic locker, they do intrude when driving and turn fast on dry tarred roads.

I would strongly suggest that you do not do the full locker or automatic diff lock in th front. The reason is that this will result in very undesirable effects on your steering wheels.

I can tell you that in the U.S. well built Jeeps will use a LSD in the front (with free wheeling hubs) or an ARB (which can be turned on momentarily to get traction when needed). The rear axle will use a full locker like a Lock rite, or Detroit.

Unfortunately there is a very limited number of lockers available for Mahindra jeeps since we have the 10 spline inner axle. The only ones that I have found are the the Auburn LSD, which I am running in my red 340 and a Lock Rite full locker.

You are absolutely correct about the ruggedness of the Ox locker and mechanical or cable actuated selectable lockers. They are fundamentally more reliable, but do cost more. Guess what the Gurkha has? Yep, mechanically actuated selectable lockers. The best.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks