Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2008, 18:13   #1
BHPian

CJ3B - Wanderlust - Rebuild

Dear all,
Before I start, the detailed write-up on the build up will come in some time with pictures, reasons and et all.

My Jeep (Wanderlust) is ready except for 3 things (Soft Top, Roll Cage, Seat Belts). After trying different option, have finally decided to drive Wandy down all the way from Trivandrum to Chennai.

Its going to one heck of a road trip and my first good drive in a Jeep is going to be 900 odd KMS . I have my friends who has volunteered to be my partner so we can share our driving thrills.

We are now contemplating on the routes from Triv and where to halt etc. The plan is take 4 PM Triv Exp and reach Triv by 7. Freshen up pick up the jeep do knowledge transfer check everything, have lunch and start Triv by 2 PM.

Now starting at 2 PM from Triv, I have the Saturday (9th aug) and Sunday to reach Chennai. I dont want to drive after 7 PM and would prefer to start the day by 5 AM.

1. What are the routes and options?
2. Where can I do the night halt on Saturday?
3. Precautions? (Have already downloaded the spares list from Palar)
4. General gyan for me

And bless and wish me for my Road Trip with my Wanderlust. What makes it even more special is, this is the first long trip drive I am doing after I lost my eye sight and regained it 3 yrs back

Much Regards,
Madbull-Ram
Old 5th August 2008, 19:15   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I can just tell your excitement! Your Jeep soft-top etc. will depart from Bombay as soon as the supplier has it ready on friday. Two tips:

1. Drive the Jeep locally for a couple of kms. Any problems that crop up can be sorted out at your garage.

2. Drive carefully on the highway. Old school Jeeps are not highspeed tourers and handle very differently from modern cars. The steering is vague, brakes (if drum) poor and the handling shaky. Keep the speeds low until you really understand her behaviour.

Congratulations. And wish you many safe enjoyable kms of Jeepin'! I look forward to a detailed pictoral.
Old 5th August 2008, 20:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

NH47 is in bad condition and coz of this two wheelers do zig zags when necessary. Thanks to helmet rule see that you have loud horns.

Would suggest you stay at Cochin and have a team-bhp meet!
Old 5th August 2008, 20:43   #4
BHPian

GTO: Thanks a lot for the help. I will get back to you on the courier.
2: Have driven her for 100 kms some 4 months back. The Jeep has PS and Disk Brakes But value the caution in gold

JK:Everyone said the same, so inclined towards Madurai route.
Web browser and Live Maps are incompatible
Old 9th August 2008, 12:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Met him. his friend Naren and the Jeep!
I drove it for a km or so and thanks to PS ! else my biceps will be like those 255/70/15 !

Some mobile pix and hence the quality issue.
Attached Thumbnails
CJ3B - Wanderlust - Rebuild-09082008_resize.jpg  

CJ3B - Wanderlust - Rebuild-09082008001_resize.jpg  

CJ3B - Wanderlust - Rebuild-09082008002_resize.jpg  

CJ3B - Wanderlust - Rebuild-09082008003_resize.jpg  

CJ3B - Wanderlust - Rebuild-09082008004_resize.jpg  

CJ3B - Wanderlust - Rebuild-09082008005_resize.jpg  

CJ3B - Wanderlust - Rebuild-09082008006_resize.jpg  

CJ3B - Wanderlust - Rebuild-09082008007_resize.jpg  

Old 9th August 2008, 12:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Now starting at 2 PM from Triv, I have the Saturday (9th aug) and Sunday to reach Chennai. I dont want to drive after 7 PM and would prefer to start the day by 5 AM.

1. What are the routes and options?
2. Where can I do the night halt on Saturday?
3. Precautions? (Have already downloaded the spares list from Palar)
4. General gyan for me

Madbull-Ram
The first leg, you have 2 options: First, take the conventional NH47/7 route via Nagercoil to Tirunelveli and Madurai. Second, go via Nedumangad, Palode, Tenmala, Aryankavu, Schencottah, Tenkasi and Rajapalayam to Madurai.

First option, road is very congested beween Trivandrum and Nagercoil, and bad beween Nagercoil and Panagudi, aftter which but for some road widening dislocaion, generally good. Ideally, you can cover the 150-odd kms to Tirunelveli by 7-8 pm. You can stay at Hotel Janakiram at T'Veli.

Second option, great hill roads (no steep sections) till Schencottah, which you could do in 3 hours. Options are to stay at Kuttalam Falls/Tenkasi, or go further to Rajapalayam and stay there.

From T'Veli/Kuttalam/Rajapalayam, you can do Madras the same day.

First option, from T'Veli, go on NH7 till Madurai, where you switch over to thro road via Viralimalai (better than NH7/NH45 option via Dindigul and Manaparai), and reach Trichy which is also bypassed. From Trichy, go on NH45 all he way to Madras via Perambalur, Villupuram, Tindivanam and Chengalpattu.

Second option, from Kuttal/Rajapalayam, reach Madurai and continue on route suggested above.
Old 9th August 2008, 12:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS South India, May 2003
Log book for Trivandrum-Nagercoil-Tirunelveli-Madurai-Trichy-Madras route

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS South India, Jan 1997
Log book for Madurai-Rajapalayam-Tenkasi-Trivandrum routte (reverse to your plan)
Old 9th August 2008, 12:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

You will note from my log book that you can do TVM-MDS in 10 hours via Madurai. In my case, I left TVM at 3 am and reached Madras by 4.30 pm, despite having taken a 2.5 hour break to meet a friend in Madurai.
Old 9th August 2008, 12:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
You will note from my log book that you can do TVM-MDS in 10 hours via Madurai. In my case, I left TVM at 3 am and reached Madras by 4.30 pm, despite having taken a 2.5 hour break to meet a friend in Madurai.
They just started after a small shopping which included wheel spanner. steerig fluid and blue tarpaulin for shelter in case it rains
Old 9th August 2008, 16:50   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Wow, your Jeep has turned out great Ram! I love the choice of colour. Some quick comments:

1. No roll bar That's too dangerous. You have made a mention of this, but please have it installed on a topmost level of priority.

2. Is that a Tata Sumo steering wheel I see? Looks totally out of place. Get a Bolero wheel instead.

3. The tail-lamps look neat, but their placement will result in frequent damage. You ought to move them higher up.

4. Where did you get the "J E E P" letterings for the front fascia? I'd love to see that fitted on my Jeep. Possible to procure one more set?

5. Why have you got two windscreen stops on the bonnet? The circular rubber ones, alone, do the job perfectly well.

6. Unique fender extensions
Old 9th August 2008, 17:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

[quote=GTO;933730
Where did you get the "J E E P" letterings for the front fascia? I'd love to see that fitted on my Jeep. Possible to procure one more set?
[/QUOTE]

Three more sets please, two for me, one each for the front and rear (tail gate)
I saw a Willys embossed piece someplace a while ago but i prefer a "JEEP" one.
God knows if its still there in the first place.
Old 9th August 2008, 18:08   #12
BHPian

Madbull Ram thats one lovely looking Jeep you got there .

Its a simple WOW.

When I was in Chennai earlier this year I wanted to go off roading with Raj's Jeep but it never happened!

Seeing your screen name I guess you are also from Madras Bulls and would know which Raj I am talking about.
Old 9th August 2008, 18:23   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Ram,

The jeep has come out excellent. Congrats.!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
.... 1. No roll bar That's too dangerous. You have made a mention of this, but please have it installed on a topmost level of priority...
Agree. and yes, try and get seat belts also. they are also as important as roll cage. In a separate thread, there was a mention of an unfortunate accident with a jeep and resulting injuries due to lack of seat belts .

Cheers,
Old 9th August 2008, 18:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

congrats on that beautiful jeep.

safety always FIRST. so get the roll bars and the seatbelts ASAP, as mentioned by khan saab.

you can put the seat belts as shown in the photo attached. by the way how much will a jeep like this CJ340 will cost, right from the scratch. 1.5-2 lakhs?

cheers:
Attached Thumbnails
CJ3B - Wanderlust - Rebuild-marshall.jpg  

Old 9th August 2008, 18:40   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
The Jeep has PS and Disk Brakes But value the caution in gold
Hey madbull, where did you get the Power steering installed?

Most Viewed