Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2008, 12:17   #31
Team-BHP Support

Mr.Dhabhar, should I also disconnect the overflow tank, it was a recent addition.
Old 1st August 2008, 12:36   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Just post all photographs, let me see them. Also please refer my posts in the Premier Padmini technical information thread in the vintage and classic cars section of the forum. I will guide you in totality. Don't do anything in haste. Also less oil in your front axle clearly indicates that the previous owner had not cared for the car just sold it to you. Be careful.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 1st August 2008 at 12:38. Reason: Extra information
Old 1st August 2008, 12:36   #33
Senior - BHPian

No need to disconnect the overflow tank. But having the correct pressure radiator cap helps you diagnose the problem better!
Old 3rd August 2008, 23:26   #34
Team-BHP Support

Overheating problem in Jeep

Today I did a uphill run with the Jeep with just water in the radiator. It overheated up after just 10-15 minutes of uphill climbing and later hit 100C even in pouring rain. But on the return drive (downhill), it never crosses 60-70C.

Read the full test report here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...mbe-ghats.html

Since it overheated in pouring rain, the problem may not be with radiator at all. I am getting really confused now.

Last edited by Samurai : 6th August 2008 at 12:44.
Old 3rd August 2008, 23:57   #35
Team-BHP Support

Is it possible that the water pump is not circulating the water fast enough?
Old 4th August 2008, 00:09   #36
BHPian

The overheating seems to be because of clogged water channels. The quantum of water/coolant is not flowing through them which is required to keep the engine temp in control.
This problem arises when avehicle is not used for a long time with the liquid still in the radiator.
Old 4th August 2008, 00:28   #37
Senior - BHPian

just a wild guess! does the elevation of engine during climb and descend has anything to do with the flow of coolant/water in this particular jeep. Failure of pump can also be the case,
Old 4th August 2008, 08:34   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Is it possible that the water pump is not circulating the water fast enough?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
just a wild guess! does the elevation of engine during climb and descend has anything to do with the flow of coolant/water in this particular jeep. Failure of pump can also be the case,
I had the mechanic check the water pump, he didn't see anything out of ordinary. BTW, there is no thermostat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
The overheating seems to be because of clogged water channels. The quantum of water/coolant is not flowing through them which is required to keep the engine temp in control.
This problem arises when avehicle is not used for a long time with the liquid still in the radiator.
I use it regularly, also the radiator core is new.
Old 4th August 2008, 08:50   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Today I did a uphill run with the Jeep with just water in the radiator. It overheated up after just 10-15 minutes of uphill climbing and later hit 100C even in pouring rain. But on the return drive (downhill), it never crosses 60-70C.
There is no load on the engine while coming downhill other than engine braking, thats why the overheating did not occur downhill.

OK, can you repeat the same stretch with water and coolant but a coolant ratio of 1:30 or something like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
No SirAlec, the elavation of the engine during the climg has nothing to do with the cooling system IMO. If pump fails, water does not flow period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I had the mechanic check the water pump, he didn't see anything out of ordinary. BTW, there is no thermostat.

I use it regularly, also the radiator core is new.
Kindly add a thermostat. Your engine efficiency will improve! Also your overheating may come down. The thermostat as you are aware starts and stops flow of water in the system, whereas the radiator cools the water passing through it. One without the other may not give us a fair idea of the potential problem!
Old 4th August 2008, 09:33   #40
BANNED

I guess this is normal heating. Worst case is that engine / fuel system is due for overhaul. But, if it was a problem with the fuel system, your mechanic would have noticed by now. And there would be problems with FE and power.

Some mechanics - we call them "asans" loosely translated as 'guru' in Kerala - can understand the engine "health" by simply listening to it. A good old gen diesel engine will (depending on make) "crack" during the explosion / burning cycle. The sharpness of this "crack" will lessen as the engine wears off. Of course, this sould is rather dependent on condition of the exhaust tubes too. You can compare this yourselves, if you listen well to other jeeps. But somebody knowledgeable should tell you "this is a good engine" and "this is a bad engine", etc.

What does your mechanic say about the engine's health? And why don't you take a second opinion from another mechanic - only if you are so worried?

Lesser mortals like us will need a "compression" test. I guess the engine is in its last legs, and you will have to live with this heating issue till a major overhaul. BTW, does this engine have an air circulation vent anywhere on the engine block? This would be a long tube, 1/2 or 3/4 inches diameter, curving down. (heavy vehicles have this). If so, does "smoke" come out out of this vent? This is a sure sign of an engine becoming due for overhaul. This smoke is coming out through the vent after leaking through the piston rings.
Old 4th August 2008, 12:39   #41
Senior - BHPian

The overheating of these engine occurs when the engine is up for overhaul, I have been thru these situation a lot [have been thru 4 overhauls on my jeep].
Any ways it was a problem on these engines [have also confirmed it with the service guys] , I had an electric fan on my jeep, and it maintained the temperature. Try driving thru congested road [stop and go traffic] and see if the temperature goes up[beyond the 80deg mark] secondly if the engine is consuming oil, about 1 liter per 3000-4000 km than you will have to look at overhauling the engine.
The 2.1 liter engine lasts for about 1 lac km before needing an overhaul, if you want an engine with one crank start, some people go upto 1.3-1.4 lac km before overhaul, but thats with starting problems and that eats up battery life.
Old 4th August 2008, 13:27   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
The 2.1 liter engine lasts for about 1 lac km before needing an overhaul, if you want an engine with one crank start, some people go upto 1.3-1.4 lac km before overhaul, but thats with starting problems and that eats up battery life.
My Jeep does start with one crank, even if I am starting after 2 days.

So it looks like I need that engine compression test done.
Old 4th August 2008, 16:08   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I agree that it is a robust engine but it has one major drawback. Because Mahindra only offered it with the 4 speed tranny, the engine is always running at the upper band of it's rpm at speeds over 80Kms. This results in the rings wearing out prematurely.

Most people I know have had to do a minor engine job, i.e (top end only) between 80K and 90K kilometers. If I recall, you did change your final drive ratio to gain better top speed. That or the fact that your vehicle may have been spend most of its' life as an urban cruiser may explain the 1.4 lakh life of the engine. To be honest you'r is the first 2.1 liter engine that I know that has gone 1.4 lakh km without the top end engine job.

DirtyDan, The classic symptoms of the 2.1 needing a ring job:

1. Oil consumption..which you won't probably know.
2. Look on the inner side of the bonnet you will see oil stains of small droplets.
3. You will need the heater to start all the time, i.e even after the engine has warmed up to about 60 degrees.
4. You will see thick smoke under heavy accelleration.
Above is a quote from 4x4addict on another thread.

Sure looked like a viper to me, live and not over-heated.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 4th August 2008 at 16:10. Reason: @@
Old 4th August 2008, 18:54   #44
Team-BHP Support

Here is the radiator cap image requested by Mr.Dhabhar.
Attached Thumbnails
Overheating problem in Jeep-_8045703.jpg  

Overheating problem in Jeep-_8045705.jpg  

Last edited by Samurai : 6th August 2008 at 12:45.
Old 4th August 2008, 19:53   #45
Senior - BHPian

So if the pump is fine. Radiator may be the culprit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks