Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2008, 12:22   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Ok, so howz the jeep going Samurai? Overheating issue sorted?

Sharat, where are you? Problem solved?
Old 19th September 2008, 12:23   #152
Team-BHP Support

Still running-in, can't take it to Agumbe ghats yet. No over-heating on regular roads.
Old 19th September 2008, 12:28   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Still running-in, can't take it to Agumbe ghats yet. No over-heating on regular roads.
thats nice to hear, hope your efforts bear fruit!

BTW, yesterday, i almost ran my 540 without water for 40 kms..I noticed that the temp climbed to 100 deg C but no signs in loss of power etc.

Being the lazy guy that I am, i just drove on to my home from work. This morning the radiator consumed almost 5 litres of water.

Oh, forgot to mention, that i converted the radiator to pressurised cooling system with a remote resourvoir..the coolant in the resourvoir was full while the radiator was half empty. Maybe that explains that the closed loop cooling system is not working as expected and I Need to CHANGE the cap.

Your issues came to mind while i saw my temp needle at 100
Old 6th December 2008, 20:20   #154
Team-BHP Support

Here is the conclusion to the story: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ml#post1082061 (Cooling system test in Agumbe Ghats - Part II)
Old 27th September 2011, 11:22   #155
BHPian

Engine Overheating issue with Mahindra Classic

I have a 1996 Mahindra Classic. I own this vehicle for the past 5 years. Initially I used to off-road extensively and then scaled down.

At present I am having issues with the Engine. Around two months back I did an overhaul of Wheel Disc and Brake system on all the four wheels of the Jeep. For the last 6 to 8 weeks I observed that the Jeep is over heating. Earlier in city the Jeep engine temp used to be at 80 C. But off late even with-in short distance (3 to 4 KMs), the engine temperature crosses 100 C. Last week I serviced the radiator and also changed the top and bottom tanks in the radiator. But the problem still exists.

Request the advise of the gurus in this regard.

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th September 2011 at 12:45. Reason: Please use Search, extensive R&D and discussion done in this thread.
Old 27th September 2011, 18:24   #156
Team-BHP Support

Re: Overheating problem in Jeep

Hope the brakes are not jammed again? Also did you check if there are any leaks in the head?
Old 25th April 2013, 09:53   #157
BANNED

Jeep ( M&M Peugeot ) over heating -generic noob questions

I really want to have some good (expert ) opinion here . This is based on my Knowledge of engines .

These issues I am discussing here are apart from the functioning of the cooling system .

I always had few doubts & questions regarding the issue .

1# Taking for granted all other mechanical wear is within limit , How far the worn-out compression rings would cause overheating, by means of hot expanding gasses from above the piston top leaking in to the crank case/ lower block ?

2# How far cam wear would affect the ambient temperature ? Is Opening & Closing timing of exhaust valve wrt crank degrees crucial here ?

3# How far worn-out timing gear thing ( chain, sprockets or idler gear bush ,gear wear ) would affect ambient temperature ?

4# What are the effects of shaving of head ( within or beyond limits -- what are they ? ) affect/effect temperature ?

5# How far diesel starving is an issue wrt overheating ? Is it really an issue wrt temperature ?

6# Will an unbleeded distributor pump cause overheating ?

7# Is there any base for the belief that clogged air filters cause overheating ?

Sudarshan
Old 26th April 2013, 08:01   #158
BANNED

To add to my above post , I have observed that modifications done to exhaust systems & or pipes , do cause or lead to overheating also.

I also want to make sure if fall in back pressure lead to temperature rise ?

Sudarshan

P S . Bit surprised by the lack of response to the query. Either its a trivial issue, or answers are too far to fetch .
Old 26th April 2013, 22:08   #159
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Anything which reduces power for the same throttle position will have some adverse effect on temp. Except timing changes (which can have large effects) most should be marginal.

Am assuming the FIP has not been fiddled with. And injectors are fine.

Leaking combustion gases can have major bad results (blowtorch effect) but unlikely to show up on the temperature gauge.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 26th April 2013, 22:25   #160
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
Anything which reduces power for the same throttle position will have some adverse effect on temp. Except timing changes (which can have large effects) most should be marginal.

Am assuming the FIP has not been fiddled with. And injectors are fine.
What if such things pile up & make a 20 % effect ?

Quote:
Leaking combustion gases can have major bad results (blowtorch effect) but unlikely to show up on the temperature gauge.
YES ( SSSS ) that was the word I was looking for, Blow Torch effect ! But why you say its not significant ?

Thinking & thinking & thinking over this for a long time, but not having anything conclusive .

Sudarshan
Old 26th April 2013, 22:58   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
But why you say its not significant ?
Did not say 'not significant', but 'unlikely to show up on the temperature gauge'.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 27th April 2013, 07:13   #162
BANNED

Quote:
Did not say 'not significant', but 'unlikely to show up on the temperature gauge'.

Regards
Sutripta
OK Sir I construed wrong, but again why you feel its 'Unlikely' to show up on the temperature gauge ?

I think it will show because .

1) It will lead to the rise in temperature of the lower part of the block .

2) Rise in oil temperature .

3) Heating of the cylinder walls & piston ( lower side particularly )

These would not have caused, if the rings were in good shape & confine the hot gasses to the upper part of the engine .

Sudarshan
Old 27th April 2013, 22:48   #163
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Proof of the pudding etc. So how about an experiment. Rigorous. Statistically valid. With control.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 28th April 2013, 12:47   #164
BANNED

Quote:
So how about an experiment. Rigorous. Statistically valid. With control.

Regards
Sutripta
Sir I dont have such facility with me. All I can do is to think, based on previous & ask some doubts to people like you who have more knowledge than me .

This is just an effort to sort out issues which are in front of a common Jeeper .

Sudarshan
Old 28th April 2013, 21:36   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is just an effort to sort out issues which are in front of a common Jeeper .
I thought you had a LandRover!

Theorising needs validation.

The jeepers overheating problems should have been sorted out at the factory! Not by tinkering at the user level.

Or form an users group, tackle it as an engineering problem, and reengineer what is necessary. The reason why it is not done is
It is not cheap. (certainly not for individuals)
It is not quick.
The whole community has to have faith in the engineering team. (Significant money will be spent before ANY results are seen.)
It will (should) benefit all those who supported it, rather than a select few.

Regards
Sutripta

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks