Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2008, 12:16   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

The diff ready to be put in the housing, so the liquid gasket being applied to both the diff and the housing
Gypsy on Steroids: Lockers installed and tested now-img_0081.jpg
Gypsy on Steroids: Lockers installed and tested now-img_0082.jpg

The diff installed and the axles being put back again. (NOTE, this gave me a chance to get my rear right brake also sorted out)
Gypsy on Steroids: Lockers installed and tested now-img_0083.jpg

The brakes being bleeded
Gypsy on Steroids: Lockers installed and tested now-img_0091.jpg

Everything installed back and testing out the locker on hoists itself. We tried stopping the tyres from spinning but just couldn't stop them. The lockers worked fine here.
Gypsy on Steroids: Lockers installed and tested now-img_0094.jpg

We go out for a quick spin and try it in a wet/muddy ditch. Needless to say that the locker performed admirably well with ZERO trye spin of any kind.
Gypsy on Steroids: Lockers installed and tested now-img_0095.jpg

The 2 brilliant folks from Suraksha who worked on my Gypsy.
Gypsy on Steroids: Lockers installed and tested now-img_0099.jpg

The locker enabled Gypsy back at my parking space.
Gypsy on Steroids: Lockers installed and tested now-img_0103.jpg

Here is the ~100 Kms 'on road' driving report. I did an early morning drive from Silk Board to the old airport -> new Airport -> Silk Board route in the Gypsy between 7.00 am - 10.00 am
  • The grip/traction, even on paved roads, is just amazing. the Gypsy just sticks to the road and can even feel the famed 'bounciness' of the Gypsy to be a lot less.
  • There was a stretch of 1 km which had loose gravel (that is used for paving roads) and I purposefully took the Gypsy on it. The traction was just too good and I think in open diff, I could have had a minor amount of wheel spin an bouncing around, but here there was nothing like that.
  • You can literally feel the increased 'perception' of the torque available at low speeds due to the increase in traction
  • I found myself to be reaching/using the 5th gear a lot more -- even on flyovers.
  • The locker 'click click' sound does take some getting used to -- however it happens very less and there is nothing to wory about that.
  • With open differentials, I could max my Gypsy out at 105 -110 kmph, now it was maxing out at ~95 kmph
  • I have had no issues with driving so far and the vehicle is behaving very well and I haven't had to make any adjustments so far to my driving style.
And yes, I got the locker installed at Suraksha and must say that they have done a very good & professional job at a reasonable cost. The folks there are good and extra extra care for my Gypsy. I particularly liked their attention to detail.

To summarize, I am very delighted that I did this install. Believe me, the traction can't be described in words. Just amazing. Am sure it will perform excellent in off-Road terrain.

Now when and where is the next OTR folks..?????
Old 17th August 2008, 13:49   #47
Senior - BHPian

Good explanation of how its works. I will be looking here to see how this locker holds up for you. I suppose that with the light weight of the Gypsy you will have minimal wear from tyre scrub? I think there quite a few here who want to know how this thing feels on and off road, how it affects handling. Anything dangerous about it? Do you think this locker could effect the longevity of your diff?

Last edited by DirtyDan : 17th August 2008 at 13:52.
Old 17th August 2008, 20:30   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
...I will be looking here to see how this locker holds up for you. ....
Dan, more than the lockers, it is the axles that I would be worried about. I don't think the lockers will be an issue. (fingers crossed).
I don't know if the axles can take the additional torque/power because of the lockers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Do you think this locker could effect the longevity of your diff?
No. I think the life of diff would increase on the contrary. The spider/side gears have been replaced by a locker that is one of the 'central' pieces of the diff.
Old 17th August 2008, 20:58   #49
BHPian

great install and a nice detailed report to top it up.
I can see that you have been patient enough to see that all was done to perfection in front of your own eyes.
ride safe and we all are waiting for long term driving experience.

cheers
Old 17th August 2008, 20:59   #50
BHPian

Hi,
That's an amazing pictorial description of fitting the locking diff. And it's great to know you had a bunch of enthusiastic mechanics to do it.

You didn't feel any of the kick back / swinging rear that the locking diff is supposed to infuse? That's encouraging to hear after reading horror stories on the Net. Maybe that effect becomes more pronounced in heavier 4x4's and full-size pickup trucks trying to tame the Moab.

Do try it on a near zero traction surface such as sand (even venture as far as not engaging 4WD initially) and let us know the effects.

Cheers,
Old 18th August 2008, 12:26   #51
BHPian

Shahnawaz,

it has been raining goodies for you this weekend .. New HU for the S10 and lockers for th e gypsy..

Kya baat hai kya baat hai...

Vijay
Old 18th August 2008, 13:00   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Shahnawaz,

it has been raining goodies for you this weekend .. New HU for the S10 and lockers for th e gypsy..

Kya baat hai kya baat hai...

Vijay
Buddy, am broke now . and you don't have the faintest idea of the I have at home

But then this is life.. enjoy madi

Last edited by aah78 : 21st August 2008 at 23:20. Reason: Additional smileys removed.
Old 18th August 2008, 13:03   #53
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Ahh we have a pioneer amongst us!! Congrats Shahnawaz. Its just so wonderful to see you make this happen so quickly. Must've been a joy to see it get installed, not to mention the thrill of using a more formidable Gypsy now.

Great going and thanks for sharing it so well with us. You never know, inspired by you, I might just go for a new Gypsy and eventually have these locks installed and not wait eternally for the Gurkha!
Old 18th August 2008, 13:07   #54
Senior - BHPian

Hi Khan, Nice update and pics too.
I can see Sarder (if I am not wrong ?) in the pic. He is a nice guy. Didnt you take the pic of Lokesh ?

Abhi

PS: Just spoke to Lokesh, he told about the differentials and they did it for the first time, hence took lots of time for your Gypsey. Next time it can be done in an hour.
Old 18th August 2008, 13:40   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
... Must've been a joy to see it get installed...
You bet DKG. It was great getting to all the parts getting dismantled and then assembled again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
...I might just go for a new Gypsy and eventually have these locks installed and not wait eternally for the Gurkha!
Go for it. Have the Gypsy also. Who said that you can't have both. Also, when the Gurkha comes, you can sell your Gypsy. I am sure there would be a queue to buy a locker installed Gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
..I can see Sarder (if I am not wrong ?) in the pic. He is a nice guy. Didnt you take the pic of Lokesh ?
yes, he is sarder. Very very nice and competent person. I took pics of lokesh also but he said don't put my pics there :-)

During the general chit-chat, we ended up discussing about your alto and Kolkatta trip also :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
.... just spoke to Lokesh, he told about the differentials and they did it for the first time, hence took lots of time for your Gypsey. Next time it can be done in an hour.
.. NO WAY. 3 hours would sound reasonable. Just the removing of parts & dismantling and then assembly again would take more than an hour.

Jokes apart, anyone who would get the 'locker' done would want it to be done as thoroughly as possible -- even if it takes 1 full day. No point in setting the 'fastest locker installation record' .
Old 18th August 2008, 13:52   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Buddy, am broke now . and you don't have the faintest idea of the I have at home :-)

But then this is life.. enjoy madi :-)
Once you are married long enough, you will figure out the art of balancing toys for yourself versus baubles(or whatever she likes)al for the better half. Tab tak lage raho mere bhai..

Vijay
Old 18th August 2008, 16:09   #57
Senior - BHPian

We should check out the longevity of the lockers.
I would suggest dissembling the differential and check the condition of the complete internals part-by-part and reassemble it back, say every 10,000 kms.
If there is any anomaly, you can pick it up before its too late or it leaves you stranded in the middle of nowhere.
Old 18th August 2008, 16:17   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
We should check out the longevity of the lockers.
I would suggest dissembling the differential and check the condition of the complete internals part-by-part and reassemble it back, say every 10,000 kms....
. This will be done every 10K Kms and also before that if there is any abnormal behavior.

Having said that, the lockers are really bullet proof. The build quality was evident just by placing the lockers and the existing side gear side by side. No comparison. the quality of the locker material/metal was WAY WAY superior to the stock parts.
Old 18th August 2008, 16:20   #59
BHPian

Khan Bhai..where are you getting the work on your Gypsy done?? The add and a number with contact person would really be appreciated..need to do some real time pimpin for my "Chick Magnet"
Old 18th August 2008, 16:51   #60
Senior - BHPian

Khan Brilliant work and another pioneer on this forum. Hope to see more action of this in some OTR soon. Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks