Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2008, 20:20   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Gypsy on Steroids: Lockers installed and tested now

A die hard and passionate off-roader is always trying to push his limits and also of his 4x4. At some stage, there comes a time when one needs to decide; ok what more can one do to the 4x4 so that it becomes an even more capable off-roader.

Unfortunately, in India there are not many options for "off the shelf" parts for 'mechanical' mods to an off-roader and that's especially true for a Gypsy.

So you can imagine the excitement when an off-roader gets his hands on some "drugs" for his Gyspy. I am feeling the same right now -- like a kid in a candy store.

Just got this and saw these for the first time with my own eyes and touched them with my own hands. Took pictures and thought of sharing these and my excitement with you all.

These will go into the Gypsy very soon. (and BTW, more 'stuff' is on the way)

Gypsy on Steroids: Lockers installed and tested now-img_0821.jpg

Gypsy on Steroids: Lockers installed and tested now-img_0822.jpg

To be continued....
Old 10th August 2008, 20:39   #2
BHPian

Looks like you got some nice goodies for your 4x4! That is a full locker! It will give you some awesome traction off road.

Just go easy around turns on the road. Especially in the rain.

Regards,
Old 10th August 2008, 23:00   #3
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Shahnawaz. I am eager to see your field test reports once you have them installed. I also concerned with the on-road side-effects as mentioned by Gaurav.
Old 11th August 2008, 00:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Great news and congrats. I knew, an avid off roader like yourself, would not rest in peace till you did something more to enhance your Gypsy's off roading capability.
Eagerly waiting your report after you have installed it and like everyone else its manners when not used for off roading.
Old 11th August 2008, 00:19   #5
BHPian

The parts look amazing and hopefully will work amazingly as well.
Would be great if you keep a step by step photographed account of the job.
Will not only help in educating us all but will also help those who are looking for doing
same kinda job in their off road beasts.

Keep us all posted.

cheers
Old 11th August 2008, 01:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

I am sorry to ask but a dumb question what is this thing i mean the gear kind of stuff. and what does it do please do enlighten
Old 11th August 2008, 02:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
I am sorry to ask but a dumb question what is this thing i mean the gear kind of stuff. and what does it do please do enlighten
It gives you more traction in certain situations. It is an easy concept really. Click this link and look for locking differentials. Actually, this whole site is well done.

HowStuffWorks "Search"
Old 11th August 2008, 03:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

oh thanks a lot did not realise that .
Old 11th August 2008, 09:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

great shanavaz. Please post details of the install!
Old 11th August 2008, 09:56   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
... Just go easy around turns on the road. Especially in the rain...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
... I also concerned with the on-road side-effects...
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
... Eagerly waiting your report ... when not used for off roading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadinc View Post
... Would be great if you keep a step by step photographed account of the job. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
..post details of the install!
All,

Must have read the 'owners manual' 3-4 times to understand on what changes are required to my 'on-road' driving habit/style. The manual is quite detailed with explanations on what changes are required to the driving habit/style and also why these changes are required.

Having read and understood the manual for 'on road' manners post the locker install, I am fairly relaxed now -- but I know it would take some driving post install to know that.

Will keep everyone posted on the install and post install reviews -- both off/on-road.

Will also take pictures of the install and the steps

Wish this could be done before Palar. From the manual it seems that sand is a good place to test the lockers.!!
Old 11th August 2008, 10:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
All,

Must have read the 'owners manual' 3-4 times to understand on what changes are required to my 'on-road' driving habit/style. The manual is quite detailed with explanations on what changes are required to the driving habit/style and also why these changes are required.

Having read and understood the manual for 'on road' manners post the locker install, I am fairly relaxed now -- but I know it would take some driving post install to know that.

Will keep everyone posted on the install and post install reviews -- both off/on-road.

Will also take pictures of the install and the steps

Wish this could be done before Palar. From the manual it seems that sand is a good place to test the lockers.!!
Shanwaz, when & where are you planing to have this drug "injected" in your gypsy? I would like to have a look Possible?
Old 11th August 2008, 10:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations!!!! That is some serious hardware.

Regards,

Arka
Old 11th August 2008, 10:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

Shanavaz,

Are you coming for the Palar Challenge? You should come whether your vehicle is installed with the Lockers or not -
Reason 1:
The terrain is pretty impressive and especially for a gypsy, it would be good fun to have a fellow gypsy companion - Sorry for being selfish.

Reason 2: Without the lockers, you would know that the gypsy is capable of - so after the install, you could try the same venue to check the effectiveness.

Ofcourse, all this is if you have time in your busy schedule. Cheers
Old 11th August 2008, 10:52   #14
DKG
Senior - BHPian

That's the spirit Shahnawaz. The Gypsy is a wonderful offroader as is. With lockers it will become formidable. Get some Maxxis Mud terrain tyres too, infact they have some great rock crawling rubber too.
Old 12th August 2008, 13:12   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Locker Install -- an update

Ok folks, an update on the locker install.

Getting the Locker is easy but the next challenge is getting the install done (especially for a Gypsy) in an 100% proper manner. There are not too many mechanics who would have done this on a Gypsy.

Initially I thought of getting the locker (and many other mechanical mods) install done by any one of the tuners listed in T-BHP site. However, it seems that no one is willing/enthusiastic to take this project up, so I have to do it myself and rely on M.A.S.S mechanics and other folks that I know.

Yesterday evening, I called up Lokesh from Suraksha Automobiles (Hosur Road) and told him that I wanted to get the 'locker' installed. Understandably, he didn't understand a word of what I said and wanted. He suggested that we meet and then discuss; so we setup a time for today morning @ 8.15 am to meet and I was there dot on time with the locker.

As Lokesh is running a bit late, few other supervisors come and want to see the locker. None of them can make head or tail out of it so I try explaining on what this is and what it will mean to the Gypsy post install. By the looks on their face, I can clearly see that no one has understood anything (either the concept or the rationale to put up a locker)

Lokesh joins us a couple of minutes later and after a general round of small talk/chit chat (Sanjay Agarwal's Gypsy/K-1000) we start talking about the locker.

Lokesh: has anyone done this before here?
Me: No. Not to my knowledge.
Lokesh: (Says nothing). Scratches his head.

I again do my spiel what I did few minutes ago and he is again scratching is head. I explain the install procedure to him and we go through the installation manual in detail. I ask him how comfortable are your mechanics with the rear differential of the Gypsy? Have they ripped apart and put back the differential of a Gypsy at least 2-3 times? To which he replies, oh many times! I say then no issues. That should be ok.

We settle on Saturday morning for the install. Lokesh has kept the installation manual with him to understand it better and go through it in detail (I have told him that if he loses it, he will be hanged).

Meanwhile, the locker is with me; begging me to put it where it belongs -- the rear diffs.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 12th August 2008 at 13:15.
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks