Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2008, 09:53   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
What suspension/lift kit is used in the jeep shown above.?...
I think it is the DIY SPOA Mod.

Cheers,
Old 11th September 2008, 10:16   #17
Team-BHP Support

mods should the title not read pre-drive instead of post-drive checks.
Old 11th September 2008, 11:58   #18
BHPian

Well although I just got a mm540 recently. I drove to chikmaglur the next day I purchased it. But before that here are the minor tweaks I performed.
Here is a tiny story. Hope it helps

Took it to a good mechanic.
Did a through check up of the engine oil, Brake fluid, Diesel pump, Fan belt, Brakes, But these were only the minor adjustments needed for a total distance of 400 kms back and forth drive in one day.

Although I am a newbie to jeeps on long drives. It was better than driving a car. Believe me you're going to enjoy your whole trip, Just relax while driving, enjoy the nature on the way, Keep a constant speed, say 70/60 kmps is pretty good and will give you a good mileage. If possible click some snaps of the scenic beauty and post it here. If you have bucket seats already in them it adds to more comfort, otherwise its ok too. As the jeep guru's here have said "KEEP A BIG EYE ON THE TEMPERATURE" if it does go above 80C and stays there constantly? stop the monster and check for radiator water and top her up. Take a small break, start and drive slowly and see if it heats up. again if it does? Time to take her to a doctor. If you have been driving a car, getting used to the gear system might take some time, While sfifting gears you might hear that awful noise, I dont know what you call it but the gear sounds like its going to "cough up" during shifts if not operated properly. Although the gear system is like the Maruthi's dont expect it to be smooth. I had the same experience myself. But now its chill.

The only problem I encountered while driving the jeep on my way back was heating of the passenger cabin, due to the wiring holes near the brake and accelarator pedals the hot air of the engine comes inside through here . You might want to check for these as it gets quiet sweaty and hot inside. If there are any holes you can fill it up with thermocol, and it will be as cool as ice . Thats what I have done for the time bieng. and is my personal experience with my 5 day old MM540.

Also make sure you carry all the necessary genuine parts if available, Do not compromise on this, As suggested by other members, Because you never know what spurious parts the jeeps owner might have plonked into it, Which might go kaboom.
Old 22nd October 2008, 20:02   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaniac View Post
Well although I just got a mm540 recently. I drove to chikmaglur the next day I purchased it. But before that here are the minor tweaks I performed.
Here is a tiny story. Hope it helps

Took it to a good mechanic.
Did a through check up of the engine oil, Brake fluid, Diesel pump, Fan belt, Brakes, But these were only the minor adjustments needed for a total distance of 400 kms back and forth drive in one day.

Although I am a newbie to jeeps on long drives. It was better than driving a car. Believe me you're going to enjoy your whole trip, Just relax while driving, enjoy the nature on the way, Keep a constant speed, say 70/60 kmps is pretty good and will give you a good mileage. If possible click some snaps of the scenic beauty and post it here. If you have bucket seats already in them it adds to more comfort, otherwise its ok too. As the jeep guru's here have said "KEEP A BIG EYE ON THE TEMPERATURE" if it does go above 80C and stays there constantly? stop the monster and check for radiator water and top her up. Take a small break, start and drive slowly and see if it heats up. again if it does? Time to take her to a doctor. If you have been driving a car, getting used to the gear system might take some time, While sfifting gears you might hear that awful noise, I dont know what you call it but the gear sounds like its going to "cough up" during shifts if not operated properly. Although the gear system is like the Maruthi's dont expect it to be smooth. I had the same experience myself. But now its chill.

The only problem I encountered while driving the jeep on my way back was heating of the passenger cabin, due to the wiring holes near the brake and accelarator pedals the hot air of the engine comes inside through here . You might want to check for these as it gets quiet sweaty and hot inside. If there are any holes you can fill it up with thermocol, and it will be as cool as ice . Thats what I have done for the time bieng. and is my personal experience with my 5 day old MM540.

Also make sure you carry all the necessary genuine parts if available, Do not compromise on this, As suggested by other members, Because you never know what spurious parts the jeeps owner might have plonked into it, Which might go kaboom.
yea mate, i drove down from Goa to Madikeri coorg in my MM550 XDP 4wd, left in the morning and reached in the evening at around 7pm, no problems at all

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks