Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2013, 16:45   #121
BHPian

Re: Using 4L for all offroading needs... good or bad?

hi Gypsy experts, sorry for going off track. I need a (used) 4WD gearbox for Gypsy King, please could you point it where I can get it in Mumbai?. I have tried Kurla market. No luck so far.

(Mods - I am sorry, I wasn't sure where to post this query)

Thanks,

-i-
Old 28th October 2013, 00:18   #122
Senior - BHPian

Re: Places to buy stuff for Off-Roading/4x4 in India

Hi guys, are any of these Indian Army sand ladders available in the places likes of Mayapuri?
Attached Thumbnails
Places to buy stuff for Off-Roading/4x4 in India-ixsby04.jpg  

Old 28th October 2013, 15:07   #123
Senior - BHPian

Who sells Warn driving lights in India ?
Old 30th October 2013, 23:16   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Who sells Warn driving lights in India ?
I dont know about the North but here in Bangalore Ozone/Adventure Zone (Contact Narayan) are the dealers for ARB.

http://www.4x4offroad.in/ - More details are mentioned on the very first page of this thread.
Old 6th March 2014, 22:43   #125
Senior - BHPian

Thank you GTO for redirecting me to this thread.

Guys I live in Hyderabad and my friend was looking for these particular shackles for his jeep. Does anyone have any idea where I can find them? And can you direct me to any dealer who can send it to me from whatever place he is located at to Hyderabad?
Attached Thumbnails
Places to buy stuff for Off-Roading/4x4 in India-1957376_721564631207802_1074468083_n.jpg  

Old 13th March 2014, 22:06   #126
BHPian

Sorry if this is OT

Is there a place in Bangalore or in Tamil Nadu where one can get the rear ladder which can be bolted onto the Pajero's rear door. Looking to buy a Thule roof carrier and a rear door ladder for Pajero SFX ASAP, please help.
Old 22nd January 2015, 18:43   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I bought plastic jerrycans for around 100-150 each.
They are not airtight. But neither are army disposal ones, however, if you take a large baloon and use it as a sort of gasket between the mouth and the plug, it will be airtight.
Good idea.
Do you then carry these in the cabin?
For someone with limited trunk space, or who is allergic to slightest amount of fumes, how best to secure the same to a roof-top luggage carrier?
Old 24th June 2015, 20:48   #128
BHPian

PICS: Purchased a Metal Jerry Can from a Kanpur Supplier

Hi all.

I want to post this post to help the fellow BHPians who are looking for a Jerry can. I was searching for Metal Jerry Can since a long time for long road trips (wanted it to be of metal and non-plastic to ensure safety). I searched online from ebay etc. but the prices were 4.5K+ Rs and I searched online on Alibaba.com, and mailed some suppliers, i got reply from one guy from Kanpur then he can supply a single can at Rs. 1,700 including delivery charges (although initially he resisted for supplying a single piece) condition was to pay first (advance net transfer) or pick up directly from his factory.

Since I am in Bangalore and have none known person in Kanpur I took the risk of paying first to an unknown party and ordered one can. It took 8 days for the can to reach Bangalore and in the mean time i followed up and irritated the person but finally i am happy i got it.

Attaching some pics and the bill for reference. Supplier details are in the invoice.

Disclaimer: I am no way related to the supplier and not promoting him/her. Your purchase at your risk.

Places to buy stuff for Off-Roading/4x4 in India-img_6174.jpg

Places to buy stuff for Off-Roading/4x4 in India-img_6176.jpg

Places to buy stuff for Off-Roading/4x4 in India-img_6177.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th June 2015 at 17:15. Reason: Adding some formatting
StallionAmit is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 17:14   #129
Team-BHP Support

Re: PICS: Purchased a Metal Jerry Can from a Kanpur Supplier

Thanks for sharing this info. Looks nice.

Occasionally I've seem some Jerry cans on sale on the Team-BHP Classifieds too.

Here are some important guidelines on how to Mount the Jerry Can Safely.

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th June 2015 at 17:16.
Rehaan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 08:41   #130
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I can get a frikkin warn for that price (imported all the way) and finish the 4x4 trail faster than the winch can pull anything out!
All too true! My enthusiasm for off-roading has suddenly got cold feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Given the increased interest in OTR/Off-Roading and 4x4 vehicles, it would be great if we have a compilation of places 'in India' from where one can buy stuff for off-roading/4x4.....
......Please keep adding to this like OTR Tyres, Wheels, Rims, Axles etc.
Hell khan_sultan,
I have gone through this thread and am a bit frustrated. I am no off-road addict, my adventures being confined to Lucknow-Naukuchiatal (Uttaranchal) trips on a fairly routine basis over the past 18 years or so. And the mild off-roading that this entails now and then. I have been using a non-CRDE(2WD) Scorpio for the past many years & am very happy with it.

I would like to know of any off-road equipment dealers in KOLKATA only. Not Bangalore, not Mumbai, Hyderabad, Delhi, NCR or any other place. And I am looking for a winch (preferably electric) to fit to the fore-end of the Scorpio.
Can you relieve me of my misery?

And before I end, thank you for the edit to my earlier post ( Re: Driving all four wheels: how is it done? - dated 27th June '15). I always seem to muddle up my multi-quote posts!
Regards,
Shashanka

Last edited by khan_sultan : 7th July 2015 at 12:26. Reason: Making it as one logical post.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 12:03   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
I would like to know of any off-road equipment dealers in KOLKATA only. Not Bangalore, not Mumbai, Hyderabad, Delhi, NCR or any other place. And I am looking for a winch (preferably electric) to fit to the fore-end of the Scorpio.
Can you relieve me of my misery?
Regards,
Shashanka
You can order a warn or runva and have it shipped to your location. A lot of dealers will happily do that for you. But the question really is whether you really need a winch on a 2wd. Also your scorpio will need either a custom bumper or winch mount fabrication.
amolpol is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 12:26   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would like to know of any off-road equipment dealers in KOLKATA only. Not Bangalore, not Mumbai, Hyderabad, Delhi, NCR or any other place. And I am looking for a winch (preferably electric) to fit to the fore-end of the Scorpio....
As amolpal has also mentioned, you will need to get a offroad bumper that can be used for installing the winch. You can also buy a winch online and get the winch delivered to your place.

You can also reach out to 4x4 members from Kolkata and above all you have the great UBS in Kolkata for help. Just search for him the forum for his contacts, get in touch with him and he will guide you.
khan_sultan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 13:40   #133
BHPian

Hi I was looking at investing in 2 pairs of maxtrax for my Scorpio 4WD, primarily to get me out of sand.

There is one shop in Bangalore that sells them at a hefty premium. Are there any places in Mumbai/ Delhi/ Hyd that stock Maxtraxx

Cheers!
Abhi

Last edited by caged_nomad : 7th July 2015 at 13:44.
Old 7th July 2015, 14:52   #134
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
You can order a warn or runva and have it shipped to your location. A lot of dealers will happily do that for you. But the question really is whether you really need a winch on a 2wd. Also your scorpio will need either a custom bumper or winch mount fabrication.
Hello Amolpol,
Thank you for the prompt reply - but I'm afraid I've no idea what a warn or runva is. And the fabrication work for the mount & bumper - can that be undertaken by the supplier or do I look for another w/shop?
As for whether I need it or not on the 2WD Scorpio - I'm not really sure. I felt that on the couple of occasions when the rear wheels were slipping on ice & slush & I was stuck enroute Kausani & Mukteswar, I felt a winch may have helped getting me moving again.
Regards,
Shashanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
As amolpal has also mentioned, you will need to get a offroad bumper that can be used for installing the winch. You can also buy a winch online and get the winch delivered to your place.

You can also reach out to 4x4 members from Kolkata and above all you have the great UBS in Kolkata for help. Just search for him the forum for his contacts, get in touch with him and he will guide you.

Thank you Khan Sultan. I'm not very familiar with Kolkata yet, but am getting there. I'll get on to UBS too & get some sorely needed info.

And kindly accept my apologies for that strange typo - it should have read
"Hello Khan Sultan...." & not what it actually did! One certainly doesn't address strangers in that way, even given the relative informality of this forum! So, sorry once again.
Regards,
Shashanka
Old 7th July 2015, 19:48   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Amolpol,
Thank you for the prompt reply - but I'm afraid I've no idea what a warn or runva is. And the fabrication work for the mount & bumper - can that be undertaken by the supplier or do I look for another w/shop?
As for whether I need it or not on the 2WD Scorpio - I'm not really sure. I felt that on the couple of occasions when the rear wheels were slipping on ice & slush & I was stuck enroute Kausani & Mukteswar, I felt a winch may have helped
Regards,
Shashanka
Shashanka

Warn and Runva are winch brands. Warn being an internationally reliable brand while Runva is an economy Chinese like brand that does the job but still hasn't been recognised as a reliable brand. Depending on the budget one could choose the brand since the capacity is mostly defined by the vehicle weight etc. There are other brands like mile marker and rugged ridge which are available with limited suppliers and are in between in terms of quality and costs.

For your situation of wheel slipping, I don't think you'd need a winch. You could even do with traction pads like Treds if you want to be adventurous with slush/ice. But please remember that a 2WD will have limitations and you need to exercise caution not to be stuck in slush in the first place. The 2WD SUVs may do well on bad roads with their higher GC and ladder frame chassis build, but they become a liability when the surface doesn't provide enough traction.

Drive safe!
amolpol is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed