Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2008, 14:02   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
An approx of 250mm will be reduced from body length at the rear.
Are you chopping from the rear leafspring rear mounting point onwards? Also where are you relocating the fuel tank to?
Old 18th September 2008, 14:10   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmonie View Post
Are you chopping from the rear leafspring rear mounting point onwards? Also where are you relocating the fuel tank to?
Yes. from the rear leaf spring mount onwards. No need to relocate/touch the fuel tank. I will post the detailed report once I get pictures etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motocoorg View Post
..I have seen some pics of my old gypsy in this forum (which prithvi had)...
Welcome to T-BHP mate. 4x4 and off-roading is one of the fastest interest areas on T-BHP. I know of atleast 15-20 people who have bought or are in the process of buying a 4x4 after reading about off-roading here.

Quote:
1) remove the sway bar and throw it in your garage- this will increase the articulation of the gypsy( any articulation is good when you are offroad) and it dosent feel much different on the road unless you are rallying.
Thanks a ton. To be honest, I had not thought about that mod but was thinking of ways on improving the articulation. Now that you mention this, I will get this done as well.

Quote:
3) leading the differential breathers high into the bonnet will save your differentials and transfer case from sucking water in river crossings(especially when its hot).
though we don't do much of water fording here, I know how water is a nuisance to the diffs. But i thought that the diff breathers are kind of sealed in Gypsy. Need to check again. However, I have seen diff breathers approx 2 ft in bonnet on Krishna's army spec MM550.

Quote:
4)full Exhaust upgrades to gypsy will make huge differnce to that lil engine if done right. You really want to have a 2" inch pipe going from a good extractors and may be three chamber free flow muffler at the back to maintain the back pressure. this mod will defenetly put a smile on your face.
I will take more details on this from you when I get to this one. The reason why I haven't got it done till now is that I want it done perfectly right for Off-road specs. What I see done here is mostly 'racing spec' exhaust mods.

Again, thanks a lot for sharing. and why don't you post some of your OTR jaunts in a separate thread. Would love to see and read about the off-roading scene in New Zealand.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th September 2008 at 14:17.
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:38   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

An Update...

Just heard from Sunil that the cutting, welding & joining back of the rear door is complete. The painting is about to start.

Too bad, as I don't have any pics with me right now. Had asked Sunil to take pics, so will take it from him.

I haven't seen the Gypsy till now but Sunil tells me that it looks great without the rear overhang.

And yes, I have already identified trails in Sakleshpur where the rear overhang will be put to test in this weekends OTR.

And yes, the front sway bar/anti-roll bar is also taken off. This will make the highway/cornering bad and increase high speed rolling tendency. So that's a -ve, but I am willing to live with it as it will dramatically increase the articulation of the Gypsy.

Cheers,
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Was waiting for this updates. Too bad, that you did not have the pics. But forgiven since you yourself not seen those
Old 22nd September 2008, 18:17   #20
BHPian

Hello Khan sir,

Posting one pic of Gypsy (I think its SWB Samurai) from the net.
Is this something that you have in mind (Over the years)? It's a long way to go, but after it's all set & done, it will be the only ONE!!
Attached Thumbnails
Gypsy on Steroids: Next Dose -- Short Chassis for reduced rear overhang-reader_johnbonebrake.jpg  

Old 23rd September 2008, 11:12   #21
BHPian

Where are the updates?

@k_s Updates??
Old 23rd September 2008, 12:30   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just heard from Sunil that the cutting, welding & joining back of the rear door is complete. The painting is about to start. ............
Quote:
@k_s Updates??
Hey rmonie, that was an update I posted .
Ok, to add, I saw the Gypsy yesterday evening. Don't have any pictures as yet. To tell you, it can't be described in words. it looks so beautiful and mean (in off-roading terms). The first time I looked at the short rear in person, I was floored and was just visualizing terrains where it would work best now.

I will get it tomorrow -- all work done. Will post pictures then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
........ Posting one pic of Gypsy (I think its SWB Samurai) from the net. Is this something that you have in mind....
Not sure. Let's see. A camel Trophy 4x4 is usually a 'survivor vehicle' also. The one you mention is a pure OTR vehicle. A camel trophy 4x4 will have provision for water, tents, air etc etc etc..
Old 23rd September 2008, 12:42   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Hey rmonie, that was an update I posted .
That was yesterday!! I was actually hoping to see some pictures. Will wait with bated breath till tomorrow.

Cheers

Rahul
Old 23rd September 2008, 12:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That was yesterday!! I was actually hoping to see some pictures. Will wait with bated breath till tomorrow.
Agreed. We guys cant wait for 24hrs to get an update
Old 24th September 2008, 11:58   #25
BHPian

Again, thanks a lot for sharing. and why don't you post some of your OTR jaunts in a separate thread. Would love to see and read about the off-roading scene in New Zealand.[/quote]

have not done OTR 's yet on my samurai but have been taking it some dunes.

will be doing some serious offroading this suummer which starts now .

will posts some pics then. Meanwhile some pics of my sammy.
Attached Thumbnails
Gypsy on Steroids: Next Dose -- Short Chassis for reduced rear overhang-tt8.jpg  

Gypsy on Steroids: Next Dose -- Short Chassis for reduced rear overhang-tt5.jpg  

Gypsy on Steroids: Next Dose -- Short Chassis for reduced rear overhang-tt6.jpg  

Gypsy on Steroids: Next Dose -- Short Chassis for reduced rear overhang-tt3.jpg  

Gypsy on Steroids: Next Dose -- Short Chassis for reduced rear overhang-tt2.jpg  

Gypsy on Steroids: Next Dose -- Short Chassis for reduced rear overhang-tt1.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 24th September 2008, 15:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

Nice one there Moto.
Where is this place
Old 24th September 2008, 16:04   #27
BHPian

Hey Khan Sultan,

Waiting for pictures of your Gypsy,can u please tell me where u have given it for modification i.e which suraksha one near bhommanahalli,then i will just drop in and take some pictures because its just near my office.

OT:i have seen u several times on Kodichikkannahalli road and also waved at u next time in that area u see a person waving to u on a Bullet that's me
Old 24th September 2008, 17:05   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddy6980 View Post
.....can u please tell me where u have given it for modification i.e which suraksha one near bhommanahalli,then i will just drop in and take some pictures because its just near my office.
No. This work is not being done at Suraksha. It is at a different place -- but in Bomanahalli itself. It's at a garage run by my off-roading friend. He is doing this work.

Quote:
OT: i have seen u several times on Kodichikkannahalli road and also waved at u next time in that area u see a person waving to u on a Bullet that's me..
Ok sir.. Will keep watch from now on
Old 26th September 2008, 09:18   #29
BHPian

K_S any updates? Was hoping to see some pictures? Also please post WIP pictures if you have any.
Old 26th September 2008, 09:35   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
K_S any updates? Was hoping to see some pictures? Also please post WIP pictures if you have any.
Rahul. My apologies sir.

The paint work has taken a lot longer than expected and the paint did not match so am back to square one w.r.t paint work. All the rest of the work is complete and I brought the Gypsy back yesterday night. Will get the paint work done next week after the Sakleshpur drive.

I don't have have pictures to share right now, so you will have to forgive me for that. (I don't carry a camera enabled mobile either :-)).

And yes, my friend Sunil has managed to NOT take any pictures of the WIP.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks