Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2008, 23:18   #46
BANNED

Another thread somewhere else got me thinking and this is about the Classic. I bought one in 2000 for 1.4 lakhs a vehicle which was 1 year old - 99 model. Perfect running condition.

I still own it and have done a fair bit, nay quite a bit of offroading in it (but unfortunately never clicked any pictures, photography is a new world for me). Its an awesome Jeep. True to its heritage and lives upto it. I even started a community on orkut, when orkut was well.. discovered and we see lot of enthusiasts sharing on there.

A lot of differences quoted above by trammaway are from this community. Those shared by Sir Behram have been some which a person like me also was not aware and have immensely helped me and a lot of others.

Now coming to the present. The Classic is become a sort of a statement(for the wrong reasons) and absurd prices are being quoted for what is basically a cosmetically enhanced CJ340/CL340 (leave out the servo assisted disc brakes other then that its identical). To me cosmetics dont count. For a Jeep that can be rebuild for quite less from junk the prices quoted are well stupid.

I am not the weekend hip dude with manicure and shaven chest, who likes to go offroading to a mall in my Classic. But i see the Classic being bought for exactly this reason. And it really pains me to be equated to be a part of this well..wimps. They even dont know how to engage the 4WD in their jeeps and drive around damaging a lot of 4WD components, sometime with the 4WD slotted on tarmac. Some folks from JeepThrills have made a joke and a laugh about it on the community in orkut, and i totally agree with them.

I have tried to stem this nonsense as much as i can through the community but its a losing battle. People dont buy the Classic for the offroading capabilities but for its bling. I also agree that different folks different strokes. But why the Classic, its very sad to see it in the hands of a yuppie crowd going behind the fairer sex like peacocks prancing about in the rain, a pretty sight non the less but still makes you look like a (pea)cock.

I know this is a total useless rant and after writing this i seem to feel so too. But sometimes i feel strongly about this.

For all the Classic owners who know what this vehicle is capable of please ignore my above comments.

Rant off.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2008, 23:32   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I have tried to stem this nonsense as much as i can through the community but its a losing battle. People dont buy the Classic for the offroading capabilities but for its bling. I also agree that different folks different strokes. But why the Classic, its very sad to see it in the hands of a yuppie crowd going behind the fairer sex like peacocks prancing about in the rain, a pretty sight non the less but still makes you look like a (pea)cock.
Do you think this behavior is seen in Team-BHP 4x4 community?
Old 1st December 2008, 23:47   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Do you think this behavior is seen in Team-BHP 4x4 community?
No and this is the reason i am on here.

Why this dosent happen on Tbhp is because we have some true enthusiast here and not the sort i have been ranting about in the above post. If we find one guy going "i want bling" he will be doing it at the expense of being ridiculed and made fun off. So lot of them prefer to keep low. Look at the thread about Dabwali Jeeps to give you an indicator.

There are lot amongst us who do like the bling and go in and buy the Jeeps at absurd rates, which in turn upsets people like us who are in it only for the love of it. The high rates being quoted are because of I want a Jeep because it is an inthing to have. And No having a sticker that says its a Jeep Thing does nt make you that.

One guy got a base CJ3B-mm540 bonnet(ed) fibre claddings (yes believe me) on the side Jeep marked as a Classic, for what? To give the chicks a ride. I was disgusted looking at what a joke that jeep was and i felt it was talking to me and saying "get me out of this". Unfortunately i couldnt.

Ok i will stop. Rant off. Sorry if i have offended anyone.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2008, 07:02   #49
Senior - BHPian

[COLOR=black]
Quote:
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]A lot of differences quoted above by trammaway are from this community. Those shared by Sir Behram have been some which a person like me also was not aware and have immensely helped me and a lot of others.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Now coming to the present. The Classic is become a sort of a statement(for the wrong reasons) and absurd prices are being quoted for what is basically a cosmetically enhanced CJ340/CL340 (leave out the servo assisted disc brakes other then that its identical). To me cosmetics dont count. For a Jeep that can be rebuild for quite less from junk the prices quoted are well stupid.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]I am not the weekend hip dude with manicure and shaven chest, who likes to go offroading to a mall in my Classic. But i see the Classic being bought for exactly this reason. And it really pains me to be equated to be a part of this well..wimps. They even dont know how to engage the 4WD in their jeeps and drive around damaging a lot of 4WD components, sometime with the 4WD slotted on tarmac. Some folks from JeepThrills have made a joke and a laugh about it on the community in orkut, and i totally agree with them.
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black] Hey, that’s right my internet findings not excluded "Mahindra Classic" orkut community. In fact I'm very glad to be part of it, as it served me initially with lots of inputs. Though some folks take Classic as a show piece, I have seen some genuine Classic (Jeepers) PM me in orkut sharing some good information about the vehicle (Of course, I have included you in it). [/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]What I'm seeing is that the jeep showoff is now actually getting into off-road path slowly. May be it is the time which takes for educating people about the ability of a Jeep. About 4 years back, I wanted a Jeep as I wanted to travel to rough terrain carrying a ladder, but it was my need. May be for others, showing off some "rough and cute thing" to the chicks for getting their attraction is the need. [/COLOR]
Old 2nd December 2008, 13:45   #50
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I bought one in 2000 for 1.4 lakhs a vehicle which was 1 year old - 99 model. Perfect running condition.
Highway robbery?! Whatta buy. If anything, you have only profited from this purchase. Today, a well-maintained Classic will sell for 2.5+ lakhs (if not more).

Quote:
The Classic is become a sort of a statement(for the wrong reasons) and absurd prices are being quoted
Good for us Classic owners. Not that I am ever going to put her on the block, but feels nice to know that she has depreciated only about 30% in 11 years. Where is that topic on resale value again?

Quote:
for what is basically a cosmetically enhanced CJ340/CL340 (leave out the servo assisted disc brakes other then that its identical). To me cosmetics dont count.
IMO, the Classic also has superior build quality to the CJ340. Not surprising since it was prepared for exports. Plus, it isn't easy to retrofit the awesome disc brakes on a CJ. The premium Classic pricing could also be due to the fact that:

- It was better marketed. And thus, has its own following.
- It was newer! The Classic and CJ340 were never sold side-by-side. Thus, by virtue of being younger, Classics would fetch a better resale.
- Limited numbers.

Quote:
But i see the Classic being bought for exactly this reason. And it really pains me to be equated to be a part of this well..wimps.
Though I wish more SWB Jeepers would join us for offroading in and around Mumbai, I wouldn't call these guys wimps. To each his own, man! Does every Porsche / Ferrari owner have to drive @ 300 kph to justify his purchase?

Quote:
They even dont know how to engage the 4WD in their jeeps and drive around damaging a lot of 4WD components
I feel that Team-BHP - with its wide reach & *new* 4x4 section - has played a role in 4x4 awareness, wot?

Quote:
There are lot amongst us who do like the bling and go in and buy the Jeeps at absurd rates, which in turn upsets people like us who are in it only for the love of it. The high rates being quoted are because of I want a Jeep because it is an inthing to have.
Actually, the main reason for the high rates is the sheer lack of a cheap diesel 4x4 in Indian showrooms! Period. If Mahindra suddenly decides to re-introduce the 340 chassis, there go our resale values.
Old 3rd December 2008, 17:55   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoise View Post
I know you (U B Singh) are far from Bombay, but you may be a good guy to keep in touch with for buying a 340 Classic??! Would that be a correct assumption?
Let me correct you bhoise, UBS is not from Bombay, but he is from Calcutta. He lives in his home "Jeep Junction" with his 40 - 45 babies (i.e. Jeeps). Know more about him on [COLOR=#9c5f01]http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#Community.aspx?cmm=55044186[/COLOR].
Old 3rd December 2008, 18:33   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Highway robbery?! Whatta buy. If anything, you have only profited from this purchase. Today, a well-maintained Classic will sell for 2.5+ lakhs (if not more).
Those were saner times. We had not seen the economic boom that we see today and the type of recession we have fallen into because of that. No loans, no easy emi's for people to hike prices at their will and fancy. I actually turned down a CJ340 for 40k which was 8 years older then my Classic just before buying this. Why? i had to fix the 4WD in that one whereas the one in the Classic worked quite well and since i was mechanically challenged then thought since its the most important aspect of a Jeep i may not be able to fix it. So paid 1 lakh more just because of that regretting it as i got to know more over time. But now its been long enough to not worry me.

Quote:
Good for us Classic owners. Not that I am ever going to put her on the block, but feels nice to know that she has depreciated only about 30% in 11 years. Where is that topic on resale value again?
Good for us yes. I probably might have to sell mine as i am leaving India for sometime. But hey there is always something better round the corner.

Quote:
IMO, the Classic also has superior build quality to the CJ340. Not surprising since it was prepared for exports. Plus, it isn't easy to retrofit the awesome disc brakes on a CJ. The premium Classic pricing could also be due to the fact that:
Arguable, as all the major components are a direct swap. I am not sure the models to be exported were sold in India or there was a separate batch run only to be sold locally. Maybe Dhabar Sir will know.

Quote:
- It was better marketed. And thus, has its own following.
They charged a premium for it. They had to.

Quote:
- It was newer! The Classic and CJ340 were never sold side-by-side. Thus, by virtue of being younger, Classics would fetch a better resale.
The CJ was sold albeit called the CL.

Quote:
- Limited numbers.
Sales didnt take off, so it was stopped. I never heard it being made in limited numbers. Or was it? I am not too sure. But the dealer in Goa wasnt selling those that well. Even after that we see a lot of Classics in Goa.

Quote:
Though I wish more SWB Jeepers would join us for offroading in and around Mumbai, I wouldn't call these guys wimps. To each his own, man! Does every Porsche / Ferrari owner have to drive @ 300 kph to justify his purchase?
Give a Porsche/Ferrari owner the road he will, if he is an enthusiast. In India we have offroad terrain but no one was using it until 1-2 years back. Before that no Classic set foot offroad. M&M Great Escapes were a different thing all together - controlled and lacking in the adventure part. I know people will argue with that and Mr Karani did a great job, but somehow i was not happy.

Quote:
I feel that Team-BHP - with its wide reach & *new* 4x4 section - has played a role in 4x4 awareness, wot?
I totally vouch for that and i am really happy for the way it has turned out.

Quote:
Actually, the main reason for the high rates is the sheer lack of a cheap diesel 4x4 in Indian showrooms! Period. If Mahindra suddenly decides to re-introduce the 340 chassis, there go our resale values.
But then folks moved to MM540/550 and then the secondhand dealers got involved and prices have sky rocketed here too.

Surprises me to see no one buying a Major though. I have not driven one but looking at what it has i think it will be good enough for the offroading we see now.

If you remember the time the Classic was launched everyone thought it was over priced compare that to the Gurkha available now. Something similiar no?

Last edited by Spitfire : 3rd December 2008 at 18:35.
Old 20th April 2009, 13:15   #53
BHPian

Dear Sirs,

I've come across this Jeep with the following:
1)2.2 L "Hurricane" Engine
2)4 speed gear-box (KMT 90?)
3)4WD
4)Made in 1984

Pray tell me what it would be classified as by M&M. Was it still called a CJ-3B in 1984? It's definitely not a CJ340DP as it's not a Diesel. And the CL moniker definitely doesn't apply. Maybe just a plain old CJ340?

How good do you think it is? I read in another post that M&M made quality severely deteriorated after 1976, esp. the chassis as the shape was changed a little, and inferior materials were used. Is this true?

Please enlighten us with your views.
Old 20th April 2009, 14:30   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear 72 Bullet - please post pictures of the vehicle you mention for me to be able to give you detailed comments. Preliminary information seems to indicate that it is a CJ4A converted from 3 speed to 4 speed. There was a CJ4 also, with minor body differences to CJ4A, therefore I need the photographs.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 27th April 2009, 12:08   #55
BHPian

Mr. Dabhar,

I am sorry, but photographs are not available as yet. Will see what I can do. Hope to be able to get them soon.

What exactly was the CJ4 / 4A like? What differentiates it from a CJ 3B ? What was the CJ 340/CL 340 derived from? Hope you can dispell my confusion.

Thank you
Old 17th January 2010, 12:30   #56
BHPian

I have a little obligation to all the friends who are interested in this thread. if u post the pics of classic\cj340\cl340 one by one on a line then it will be lost easier to find the difference with a look at it!
Old 17th January 2010, 19:22   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeperk View Post
I have a little obligation to all the friends who are interested in this thread. if u post the pics of classic\cj340\cl340 one by one on a line then it will be lost easier to find the difference with a look at it!
If you have an obligation, you should be posting.

Besides, Jeeps rarely remain stock over long years. Considering that the youngest SWB Jeep will be 10 years old, comparing current photographs don't make sense. Lot of CJ340s have been converted to look like Classic and sold to unsuspecting buyers.
Old 18th August 2011, 14:49   #58
BHPian

Is this a real Classic or a convert?

Saw this jeep in our office parking lot.

Can someone tell me if this is a real classic or a converted vehicle?

Sorry for the bad quality of pics - taken from my mobile.

Mahindra: Difference between a Classic and CJ340-img00082201108180948.jpg

Mahindra: Difference between a Classic and CJ340-img00083201108180948.jpg

Mahindra: Difference between a Classic and CJ340-img00086201108180949.jpg
Old 18th August 2011, 15:03   #59
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is this a real Classic or a convert?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
Saw this jeep in our office parking lot.

Can someone tell me if this is a real classic or a converted vehicle?

Sorry for the bad quality of pics - taken from my mobile.

Attachment 595020

Attachment 595021

Attachment 595022

You cannot say looking at these pictures,

Classic never came with these alloys, that does not mean its not a classic, i had disc breaks.

If you can post a pic of the dashboard we can tell.

Pramod
Old 18th August 2011, 15:09   #60
Team-BHP Support

Re: Is this a real Classic or a convert?

It has hanging brake pedals, which means disc brakes. Could be classic or not. Easy way to find, see whether the engine number starts with CLS.

Since too many of the stock Classic parts are missing, it is most possibly a convert.

Last edited by Samurai : 18th August 2011 at 15:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks