Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2011, 15:12   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is this a real Classic or a convert?

No. This is not a real Classic. It has no Classic bits, other than the badge.

1) Roll cage is Different
2) No dashboard.
3) No Bull bar etc etc etc, the list goes on...
Old 18th August 2011, 15:43   #62
BHPian

Couple more pic with dash

Mahindra: Difference between a Classic and CJ340-img00085201108180948.jpg

Mahindra: Difference between a Classic and CJ340-img00084201108180948.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It has hanging brake pedals, which means disc brakes. Could be classic or not. Easy way to find, see whether the engine number starts with CLS.

Since too many of the stock Classic parts are missing, it is most possibly a convert.
Where to find the engine number? I did not see any plaque infront of the driver seat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
No. This is not a real Classic. It has no Classic bits, other than the badge.

1) Roll cage is Different
2) No dashboard.
3) No Bull bar etc etc etc, the list goes on...
Can it be that all these are replacements on the original vehicle?

Last edited by sach.sri : 18th August 2011 at 15:48.
Old 18th August 2011, 16:04   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
IT'S NOT A CLASSIC

Where to find the engine number? I did not see any plaque infront of the driver seat?
There is Plate in Engine Bay, Number should start like CL340DP 4WD CLS.

On first view from pic, my findings are below
1) Wheel Arches not Original
2) Seats not Original
3) Gear Lever not Original
4) Classic's Dashboard missing
5) 4x4 lever missing
6) Running board not Original
8) Headlight cover not original
9) Alloys not Original
etc...

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 18th August 2011, 16:20   #64
AVR
BHPian

Doesn't look like a Classic. Could be a CJ340 like Samurai's. I think those "Classic" stickers have been put on twice or more number of Jeeps than the total Classic production!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It has hanging brake pedals, which means disc brakes
Samurai, even drum brakes with boosters will have the suspended pedals. My Jeep does.

Cheers,
Adi
Old 18th August 2011, 16:22   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post

Attachment 595048

Attachment 595053

I don't think you need to bother with decoding the chassis/engine number. This is a Regular CJ/CL 340. The dash and other features confirm that. Also, I don't see a 4wd lever in it. Has it been removed?

Are you planning to buy this vehicle or something? If its being sold as a genuine classic, don't fall for it.
Old 18th August 2011, 16:50   #66
BHPian

Thanks All.

It was just a "classic" that I saw and wanted to check out. I would have asked the owner if he is interested to sell if it was a Classic - as you dont find them often

Thanks all.

@Mods: I think we can close this thread?
Old 15th November 2014, 20:13   #67

re: Mahindra: Difference between a Classic and CJ340

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - let me clear all queries. The original vehicle was known as the CJ3B about which I am not writing here. It became CJ340DP when the Peugeot XDP4.90 engine and the 4 speed KMT90 transmission were dropped in it. In 1995, the CJ became the CL as the nomenclature CJ was owned by Chrysler and therefore M&M changed over from CJ to CL. The CJ/CL340 was made from 1993 upto 1997 when the CL340 classic was introduced. The basic difference between the CL340 and the CL340 classic is as follows:

Axle ratio - CL340 has 5.38:1 axle ratio whereas CL340 classic has 4.88:1 axle ratio. Transfer case actuating levers - the CL340 had the double lever actuating transfer case whereas the CL340 classic had the single lever actuating transfer case. Clutch actuation and brakes - the CL340 had floor mounted brake and clutch pedals whereas the CL340 classic had the suspended brake and clutch pedals. This is because the CL340 had all drum brakes whereas the CL340 classic had front disc brakes which require booster assistance for which the booseter has to be mounted on the dash panel for which the pedal has to be suspended to reach the booster. Obviously therefore, clutch becomes cable operated in the classic instead of link operated in the CL340. In the CL340, the handbrake is actuated on a drum fitted to the back of the transfer case, in the CL340 classic, it is actuated in the rear wheels. Instrument panel - the CL340 has a small centre console whereas the CL340 classic has the FRP instrument panel with around 12 telltale lights. Wheels and tyres - the CL340 was supplied with F78/15 tyres on steel wheels whereas the CL340 classic was supplied with P215/75R15 tyres on wire wheels supplied by wheels India and then on 5 spoke aluminium finish alloy wheels. Wheel arches - both vehicles had FRP wheelarches, the CL340 had bigger ones, the CL340 classic had smaller ones painted in body colour. Engine changes - the alternator did not have vacuum pump drive in the CL340 whereas it had a vacuum pump drive in the CL340 classic (for booster brakes). Seats - the CL340 had 118NE derived fixed backrest angle seats whereas the CL340 classic had high backrest variable backrest angle seats. Bull bar - the CL340 had the FJ (old FC) derived front bumper whereas the CL340 classic had the stainless steel bull bar. Radiator mosquito screen - the CL340 had it, the CL340 classic did not have it. Bonnet catches - the CL340 had 4 bonnet catches, the CL340 classic had only 2 in the front. Tobo hook - the CL340 did not have a tobo hook, the CL340 classic had a tobo hook (50 mm diameter sphere for pulling a trailer, mounted on the "K" member.

Why was the classic born? - the CL340 classic is a domestic version of the CL340RHD classic sold by M&M in England and other RHD countries like South Africa etc. It's LHD version was sold in France. Export vehicle was given in India also, the only difference was that European specification lights etc (E marked) were not given inthe domestic version. That's why.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behram Sir,
I have a Mahindra Classic 1999 model. I was in a very bad condition when I bought it with even the engine being swapped, front axle removed, bull bars missing etc. I am trying to restore the same.

There are some things that baffle me about this particular vehicle.
It has its model marked as 'Classic E' in the RC book and the engine CC recorded is 3000cc and 38 BHP.
The engine number has the format DBS - xxxxxxx and the chassis number is of the format MAxxxxxDBSxxxxxxx
The speedo is in 'miles' .

The vehicle has all the other telltale characteristics of a genuine classic.

Unfortunately I am the fourth owner and do not have any way of getting the details from the first owner. Would you by any chance have some info regarding this particular vehicle please?

Many thanks in advance
Old 17th November 2014, 14:07   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_4_Jeep View Post
Dear Behram Sir, I have a Mahindra Classic 1999 model. I was in a very bad condition when I bought it with even the engine being swapped, front axle removed, bull bars missing etc. I am trying to restore the same. There are some things that baffle me about this particular vehicle. It has its model marked as 'Classic E' in the RC book and the engine CC recorded is 3000cc and 38 BHP. The engine number has the format DBS - xxxxxxx and the chassis number is of the format MAxxxxxDBSxxxxxxx. The speedo is in 'miles'. The vehicle has all the other telltale characteristics of a genuine classic. Unfortunately I am the fourth owner and do not have any way of getting the details from the first owner. Would you by any chance have some info regarding this particular vehicle please? Many thanks in advance
Dear J 4 Jeep - please post detailed photographs, it will help to identify the characteristics.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 27th June 2017, 11:35   #69
BHPian

I have almost finalised on a Mahindra classic (spoke wheel) 1996 model.

It has all the genuine indications of being a classic, but wanted someone to confirm about the location of the details plate. Unlike cj3b and cj340 the plaque or details plate is not on the right side of dashboard.

It is on the firewall, above the brake booster. Please find few pics. A confirmation from classic owners would give immense confidence.

Also the windshield doesn't seems to be right.

Mahindra: Difference between a Classic and CJ340-imageuploadedbyteambhp1498543445.539638.jpgMahindra: Difference between a Classic and CJ340-imageuploadedbyteambhp1498543473.304197.jpgMahindra: Difference between a Classic and CJ340-imageuploadedbyteambhp1498543486.884188.jpgMahindra: Difference between a Classic and CJ340-imageuploadedbyteambhp1498543500.472988.jpgMahindra: Difference between a Classic and CJ340-imageuploadedbyteambhp1498543514.017746.jpg
Cj3bDog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 15:45   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, the windshield in my Classic was not openable.

Show more pics of the car. Especially the roll bar. It should be slightly pointed on the top.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 16:08   #71
BHPian

Please find few more Pics.

@Tejas - I do not have the picture for the Roll cage.

Mahindra: Difference between a Classic and CJ340-1.jpg
Mahindra: Difference between a Classic and CJ340-2.jpg
Mahindra: Difference between a Classic and CJ340-3.jpg
Cj3bDog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 16:30   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Plastic fender flares are missing.

The slot for water drainage is not there in an original classic

Check if front brakes are disk or drum. Classics came with disk brakes.

For some reason i feel the wheelbase is longer. Could be the pic angles.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 17:00   #73
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj3bDog View Post
I have almost finalised on a Mahindra classic (spoke wheel) 1996 model.
Prima facie, it looks legit. A real Classic. Go for it. Other than the windshield, everything else looks to be original Classic. Don't worry about the windshield - all old Jeeps end up with custom parts.

Quote:
It has all the genuine indications of being a classic, but wanted someone to confirm about the location of the details plate. Unlike cj3b and cj340 the plaque or details plate is not on the right side of dashboard.
My chassis + engine plate is on the other side of the firewall - image link.

Are those MRF Z something tyres? Wow, long time since I saw them. They were very popular in the 90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
The slot for water drainage is not there in an original classic
Last pic? It's there in my Jeep.

Last edited by GTO : 27th June 2017 at 17:02.
Old 27th June 2017, 22:23   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Last pic? It's there in my Jeep.
Weird. Wasn't there in mine.

Mahindra: Difference between a Classic and CJ340-classic-2.jpg
Old 27th June 2017, 23:35   #75
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Weird. Wasn't there in mine.
Covered up in a repaint job I'm guessing. It's very useful in getting water out of the cabin:
Mahindra: Difference between a Classic and CJ340-1.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks