Are you referring to Sudhee here ?
No Jango, it's not Sudhee

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 30th September 2008, 20:33   #17

Jeep mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
First thing you need to do is, find a sincere mech, If you want i can help you for that. I stay very close to Marthahalli. Arka recommended this Mech, whom Suresh knows from 10 years. And i must admit that i never found such a genuine mech who knows Jeeps very well.
Sree: Thanks for the offer. I will call you tomorrow and get the details. Although, I'll take it with a pinch of salt... I was introduced to another mechanic through a JeepThrills member who vouches for his work -- but whenever I visit this mechanic by myself, I'm quoted obnoxious sums spilling into four digits with a plethora of jobs he says needs to be done on the Jeep.
wayfarer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2008, 22:14   #18
BANNED

From my experience with diesel engines, oil pressure is directly proportional to the engine RPM.

When the vehicle is idling / in stop and go traffic it is possible that heat build's up because the radiator fan does not spin as much as required (due to slow engine speed). If possible, rev the engine in such situations.

What you should be concerned about is oil consumption. How much oil should you pour in to maintain same level on the dipstick, say every 500 KM or so? You poured in 2 lt. oil; how much KM had the vehicle done before the last oil change / top-up?

You may be better off doing a compression test too.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2008, 10:06   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
What you should be concerned about is oil consumption. How much oil should you pour in to maintain same level on the dipstick, say every 500 KM or so? You poured in 2 lt. oil; how much KM had the vehicle done before the last oil change / top-up?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR, the guy who sold me the Jeep told me he had done a complete oil servicing and that I don't need to bother topping it off for another 1000 kms. A month or so later, there were some electrical system problems & other knick-knacks that needed fixing so I dropped off the Jeep at a Mahindra authorized service center. I was surprised when the guys at the service center told me that oil level was low; full of gunk and that I needed to get a complete oil servicing!

Now I'm not too sure if the guy who sold me the Jeep really did an oil servicing... or if the service center decided to make a quick buck out of me (they charged me 800 bucks for the oil) by claiming to have done an oil servicing. In both instances I wasn't present to monitor.

Coming back to answer your question, I don't know how many kms the Jeep has done after a complete oil servicing. However, the Jeep has definitely done around 2500 kms before I poured in the 2 liters of oil. I will keep tabs from now to see how much oil is being consumed every 500 kms.

How much oil should the XD3P consume under normal circumstances every 500 or 1000 kms?
Old 1st October 2008, 12:19   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
How much oil should the XD3P consume under normal circumstances every 500 or 1000 kms?
This engine does consume a bit of oil, but will be noticeable over 4-5k kms. Ideally at the above mentioned kms there should be no(visual) difference.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2008, 12:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
5) If you regularly drive in city traffic conditions (as mentioned above) use the Oil recommended for the scorpio & add and engine oil treatment (STP/Duron/Slick50)
They are all expensive oils / treatment solutions, but worth the while.

A simple solution is to change engine oil every 3K or 4K kms. I use Castrol 20W50 on my 540 [2.1 engine] and it works fine. Temp rarely goes over 90 and yes the oil pressure reduces to 2 or so after continuous driving for 50 odd kms.

It comes to 3 at idle though! I check oil once a month and water once a week. It consumes 200 ml water once a week. The jeep has done 80 odd K kms.

For jeeps, follow the KISS principle!
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2008, 16:15   #22

Compression test & oil servicing

So I met up with Spitfire this afternoon and had a long discussion about my Jeep with me getting some good insights.

I plan to first get a compression test done over the weekend and then will do a complete oil & filter replacement -- in my presence!

Not knowing better or worse I realized that I've inadvertently mixed two grades of oil during my last two top-ups. The first time was one liter of I-don't-remember-which-brand oil just after my panicky 100 degree sojourn and the second was the two liter 15w40 Shell Super Helix two weeks back.

I hope I haven't done too much damage to the engine. Sigh... you live, you learn.
Old 1st October 2008, 16:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

Check the oil level with the dipstick,once.
Hope you haven't overfilled.
nitrous is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2008, 16:56   #24
BANNED

Nice to meet up with someone who has the eagerness and enthusiasm to learn. He is ready to get his hands dirty and that is a major requirement to understand the jeep thing.

Now to the Jeep: he has managed to find an absolute beauty, the vehicle is in very good shape except to a certain extent the engine and i am thinking it is one of the intermediate owners who really didnt give the JEEP a lot of TLC. No rattles or squeaks from the body, no hum from the transmission, nice clean vehicle. Also it was riding on Pireli Scorpions AT Mud - a good set of tyres which i have seen on a friends Jeep and recommended for offroading. Didnt check the 4 wheel drive as it was already okayed by a Jeepthrills member. Congrats man a good piece of manchinery you have there.

Do post some pics of your ride, especially the tyres. Its good to show off when you have the right Jeep.

The oil dosent look thick enough and we are planning to change the oil with the right grade along with a change in the oil filter. The oil presently is about a couple of milimeters below the top mark on the dip stick.

I had previously asked him to do the white smoke test early in the morning on the first start. Unfortunately white fumes were present. The engine does not feel that bad but is consuming a bit of oil.

We will try and get a Compression test done over the weekend followed by the oil change.

Could not have a look at the radiator or other components has the Jeep was driven for a considerable distance and the engine parts were a bit hot. Also was in my formal clothes so really couldnt get too dirty.

We did manage to fix a diesel leak i encountered while looking at the fuel distributor pump. We need a new set of the small rubber tubes for the engine and for now we have done a quick fix. Should show better mileage now. Quite a bit of fuel was being wasted.

Will take a closer look at the Jeep on the weekend when we can probably spend more time with it.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2008, 18:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
So I met up with Spitfire this afternoon and had a long discussion about my Jeep with me getting some good insights.

I plan to first get a compression test done over the weekend and then will do a complete oil & filter replacement -- in my presence!

I hope I haven't done too much damage to the engine. Sigh... you live, you learn.
Let's hope for the best. I have blown 4 motors so far, twice after I had an idea of what the h*ll I was doing. Education can be expensive but, yeah, you learn. Sounds like you have some good help though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

Now to the Jeep: he has managed to find an absolute beauty, the vehicle is in very good shape except to a certain extent the engine

I had previously asked him to do the white smoke test early in the morning on the first start. Unfortunately white fumes were present. The engine does not feel that bad but is consuming a bit of oil.

We will try and get a Compression test done over the weekend followed by the oil change.
White fumes upon start up are NOT the kiss of death. Depends what they smell like. Sometimes a little unburned diesel fuel gets blown out upon start up and smells really bad. It is white and it's unmistakably bad smelling. This is usually not important, depends how much fuel. If it's a lot then it could sign a leaky injector leaking fuel into the cylinder. This is serious as diesel fuel leaking into motor oil destroys its lubricity and hurts the motor.

Informative post IMHO. Thanks for the follow up. I will be looking forward to seeing what you find out.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 2nd October 2008 at 18:35.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks