Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2008, 11:16   #16
Team-BHP Support

Okay 4H works.
so how did I test.
Well I went to a road where construction was going nearby.
The road itself was metaled but there was a considerable amount of sand on the road.
I engaged 4H, and took half turn, as soon as I lifted off the accelerator, the vehicle would stop. I mean it would not roll like it would on 2H, due to speed difference,

So now its time for some lake beds
Old 1st October 2008, 15:09   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
whats the easiest way
Take it to the closest petrol pump. Pay the attendant 20 bucks for 60 seconds on the hydraulic car lift. Engage 4x4 and see if the front wheels are spinning
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2008, 12:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Maybe the TATAs have improved the functionality of their on the fly 4x4 systems a lot in recent years, that's why this thread.

In my 1998 TCIC Safari, when the 4H was engaged, it felt as if the landing gear of a plane has been lowered and one could make out by the whine of the engine and the RPM meter if extra power was being used.

In 4L, the performance of the vehicle in 4H reduced by almost 70%..
Old 2nd October 2008, 17:23   #19
BHPian

I try to keep the 4wd system lubricated by engaging it at least once a month. One way to do it is on a straight road. Engage the system for about 10-20 seconds while driving straight at a slow speed and then switch back to 2wd. What happens is that the front axle is now engaged, but since you've switched back to 2wd, it's freewheeling, but still turning the propshaft/differential - circulating the oil.

To exercise the 4wd system, you'll have to find some slush. TSK, there's a nice (in 4wd terms) mud road between the road that leads from Flex - towards greater noida / along a canal bank. You could try it out there. The recent rains have made it quite slushy. That's where I take my Scorp for a jog sometimes to flex its 4wd system.

Otherwise, there are some decent dirt patches in S Delhi - Rajokri forest area.
Third choice: Around Damdama lake area, Gurgaon and on the Faridabad road.

In the Scorp, you hear a muted thud when you shift into 4H (below 25kmph). For 4L, of course, you have to stop and engage it. Think it's the same for the Safari (both Borg Warner systems).

Cheers,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks