Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2008, 14:28   #1
Team-BHP Support

Side protection for Off roaders?

On recent off road trip, due to desert vegetation, the safari has some thin scars.
They are not just on cladding, but some of them extend upto the window level too!
In offroading, sometimes to maintain momentum, you need to gun it, and you can't really help.
So while cladding protects to a certain level, over that you get scratches. Moreover, even claddings are painted(Why??).
I was thinking of a solution to this.
First thing which came to my mind is the protective camouflage cloth which is used by manufacturers when vehicles are being tested.
But its seriously ugly, and I am also worried about increased air drag at high speeds.
This can kill FE on highways, if you are doing a mix off road and on road trip. Moroever taking it off and on would be a pain.
The other solution which came to my mind is some sort of veneer on the paint. Some plastic film or something, which can be stuck on like sun films are.

Online I could not find any such products.
So I am wondering, does any such material exist with which I can "laminate" my safari?
I don't mind having to repeat this every 6 months or so if the cost is not much.
Lot of people go for Vinyl graphics on their cars.
If instead of that a thin transparent plastic film(tough film) is put it will protect from minor scratches from bushes and vegetation?
Is it duable?
where can I get it done?
How much is the cost?
I just want it on the front and rear fenders, and the 4 doors.
Front and back of the car are relatively safe.
Other option is the huge wrap around bull guard which taxi sumo's have. It will give front fenders partial protection, and make her look very ugly, so thats last resort.
Old 14th October 2008, 15:06   #2
Team-BHP Support

Tanveer, There is an auto accessory shop in Moti Nagar. I cannot recall the name. But its located on your left if you are coming from Haldiram and going towards Harpreet Ford and the Toyota showroom.

I visited there once and saw a spark getting the lamination thing. The name is very familiar, would be able to recall in a while.
Old 14th October 2008, 15:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have thought about it so many times but do not have the need yet and narrowed down to 2 solutions.

- Goto any vinyl/ sticker/ accessory shop and ask them for the frosted stickers (similar to ones used in office partition windows/ doors), they are really tough and can sustain a lot of abuse.

- You get a rubberised paint/ solution which the architects have now started using for bathroom floors, you need to check if that will stick to automotive paint. I have seen this on TV and this needs a setting time of 24 hrs but should be very robust once done as its supposed to last many many years in the bathroom. But this paint is expensive.
Old 14th October 2008, 15:43   #4
Team-BHP Support

I want something which can be removed without damaging the paint.
Old 14th October 2008, 16:21   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Tanveer, There is an auto accessory shop in Moti Nagar. I cannot recall the name. But its located on your left if you are coming from Haldiram and going towards Harpreet Ford and the Toyota showroom.

I visited there once and saw a spark getting the lamination thing. The name is very familiar, would be able to recall in a while.
This was the one I was talking about.

Anti Aging Car Care Products,Automobile Products,CNG Kits,Distributor of Liqui Moly
Old 14th October 2008, 16:52   #6
Team-BHP Support

Thanks eddy, I guess paint sealant is what I am looking for.
I could not find list of authorized dealers anywhere, if I can find one close to Noida, that will be great!
Old 14th October 2008, 17:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

try these things....i have it on my civic. its a transparent film which can be applied to any vehicle surface.

Armourfend - Paint protection for cars and motorbikes i think they have a dealer in india!

3M Scotchgard Paint Protection Film, Pre-Cut Kits (Xpel), Bulk Rolls
Old 14th October 2008, 17:39   #8
Team-BHP Support

Wow, these 2 are what I am looking for.
Now I am wondering how to find a dealer in India!
Old 14th October 2008, 18:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Wow, these 2 are what I am looking for.
Now I am wondering how to find a dealer in India!
send an enquiry to Welcome to Armourfend asking about a dealer in india. im sure they have one in india. send your enquire to Bob or Tera.

3M scotchgard PPF(paint protection film) is not available through 3M.

cheers:
Old 20th October 2008, 17:34   #10
Team-BHP Support

I send the inquiry, but no response from Armour-fend.
3M does not sell scotchguard in India.
So only option remains is fucot.
They do teflon coating for 5500rs for Safari.

Parm, if you know any details about Armour-fend, please PM me

Last edited by tsk1979 : 20th October 2008 at 17:39.
Old 23rd October 2008, 00:34   #11
adc
Senior - BHPian

Any updates?

Quote:
So I am wondering, does any such material exist with which I can "laminate" my safari?
Quote:

Tsk just came upon this very appropriate thread and was also on the lookout after having this after bush roading in Orissa.

Side protection for Off roaders?-bush-roading-scars.jpg

Almost all of the scars are gone except one somewhat light one. I used some Amway car silica product that one of friends sold to me during those Amway heydays.

Please do keep us posted on protection that you finally do and the cost and the process.
Old 23rd October 2008, 01:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

3M PPF(paint protection film) is sold in dubai, but its damn expensive to put on a vehicle. its around 40,000-50,000 rs per car and the areas covered are half bonnet, front bumper (full), side fenders, running board/door sides. etc.

the width of the film is 12inch and 24inch, so you can imagine the area it can cover.

i can send you or bring this film to india on my next trip. so if you are interested pm me and i will find out the cost for you to put on the safari.

im attaching a diagram of lamborghini to show what all areas are covered by this film

cheers:
Attached Images

Old 23rd October 2008, 01:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
there is NO chemical treatment/paint protection in the world which can protect the paint work against the scratches!

nissan has introduced a self healing paint for its new cars, this paint heals itself while exposed to heat against small scratches.

dont be fooled by the fucot or teflon coating offered to you! they are just cosmetics which wash away with the passage of time and under various weather conditions.

imagine you put on a hand creame or moisturiser on your hand and it goes away after few hand washes! so its the same with the teflon coatings or paint protections.

cheers:
Old 23rd October 2008, 07:31   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

@tsk1979: My $0.02 worth - Having done many recce's through desert and having got the paint work "scratched" many times I find that a session with wax polish restores almost the original finish. As many have said there is really no long term protection available if you are looking for OTR adventures.

Would be looking out for your comments after testing out with Fucoat..although to my mind a micro-thin teflon film giving your body paint protection is more of marketing hype than fact. Deco-films may be better optiion.
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:22   #15
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for your inputs. I think you are correct. Teflon coating etc., is more marketing hype. Ditto for 3M paint detailing.
So I am thinking of a DIY.
Remember thin clingfilm. It sticks on to surface without adhesive. I will try to locate a mild water soluble adhesive, and apply to clingfilm, and then stick it to the fender.
Other option is a Car Bra like solution. Saw lots of cars in USofA sporting them, however, I guess wind resistance at high speeds will be an issue since these are not as slippery as paint.
Maybe some automobile engineer can tell us about the negatives of such attachments.

Most Viewed