Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2009, 04:42   #31
BHPian

Khan Bhai, if you know me a little bit or if you read any of my thread or post you must be knowing I am a poor crazy chap who is confused most of the time. What I am more clear about is that I am into love with 4x4 and can not think about a life without it.

You are doing a great job and you have to help me in my Gypsy project as soon as I launch it (ameeen).

Do you have any thread having detail of the other modification you might have done in you off road machine.

Happy New Year...
Old 2nd January 2009, 06:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
... In 2wd it feels like 20 elephants have got inside the engine...
Oh no. So your gypsy is gonna be more heavier now. And in 4WD much more than a Safari

Congrats man.

First you spoiled guys to buy 4x4 and you are following the same thing for the mods. Umm, waiting for whose next
Old 2nd January 2009, 09:44   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Congrats Shanawaz. Next OTR i will test drive your gypsy mate.
Sure Shakir. Anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Congrats !Khan. We now can boast , we have one suzuki samurai -All wheel drive (thearatically, possibly practically) , no nonsence in this group.

Want to experience the shift.
Yes sir. The Gypsy is truly there now. Can go anywhere and take on ANY terrain. You should drive it now to feel difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shams View Post
Congratulations Shahnawaz, you've earned it. ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Congratz!! i like the way you are pampering the Gypsy!!...
Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Congrats Shahnawaz, what a way to kick off the new year!!!
Thanks guys for the wishes. It really feels great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
....You are doing a great job and you have to help me in my Gypsy project as soon as I launch it (ameeen).

Do you have any thread having detail of the other modification you might have done in you off road machine. ..
All my modification details are on this forum itself. You would find all the details there.

NOTE: I drove my gypsy for nearly 2-2.5 years with NO modifications. ONLY when i realized the limit of the stock setup did I start on the journey towards modifications. It's upto you but I prefer knowing & understanding my vehicle well before modifying it. If I had say bought this gypsy off from someone, I would NOT have appreciated the mods so much and the difference they make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Oh no. So your gypsy is gonna be more heavier now. And in 4WD much more than a Safari..
It sure does feel so man. The torque is just tooo much now. I am afraid to put in the 4WD right now :-)
Old 2nd January 2009, 10:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

What a way to start the new year. Congratulations for the 6k trip and for the mod on your Gypsy. Now that your Gypsy can crawl over rocks, are you planning something to make it swim in water as well?
Old 2nd January 2009, 10:28   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
...Now that your Gypsy can crawl over rocks, are you planning something to make it swim in water as well?
Nice one buddy .

Though I have pictures of all the steps of the install, putting them here won't make much sense. Here are the pics of one part of the install.

The opened t-case and the 4.16 gearset in front that will go inside. Notice how much different the gears are compared to the stock t-case gears.

Gypsy on Steroids: The Rockcrawler 4.16:1 T-Case Gearset.-img_0946.jpg

Gypsy on Steroids: The Rockcrawler 4.16:1 T-Case Gearset.-img_0947.jpg

Cheers,
khan_sultan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2009, 10:36   #36
BANNED

Way to go, Shahnawaz!
So now I can get stuck in slush and you can pull me out with the power of 20 elephants
Old 2nd January 2009, 10:44   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
... So now I can get stuck in slush and you can pull me out with the power of 20 elephants
Yes I think I can now -- but I think the clutch won't hold that amount of torque of pulling the safari out. Would now need a beefier clutch.
Old 2nd January 2009, 11:09   #38
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the mod!

Your love and dedication to getting these things is amazing! Way to go.

Now I miss not being in Bangalore even more!!! :(
Old 4th January 2009, 01:10   #39
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the install, khan_sultan !

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
...Though I have pictures of all the steps of the install, putting them here won't make much sense....
I would be interested in the pics of the install. Could you please zip it and mail it across to me?
Old 4th January 2009, 09:37   #40
Senior - BHPian

So, Khan, any update on how it is handling so far? Have you made any more tweaks to fine tune it?
Old 4th January 2009, 10:03   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
... I would be interested in the pics of the install. Could you please zip it and mail it across to me?
Sure, I can do that. PM me your email details. BUT, the picture above is the 'main' part of the install. Rest all is about how to remove/disassemble/assemble/put back the t-case. Any competent MASS should be able to do that (provided they have worked on gypsies t-cases)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
So, Khan, any update on how it is handling so far? Have you made any more tweaks to fine tune it?
I have driven ~125Kms in city after the install and it performs like a dream. The gear shifts have become very less now. No frequent up/down shifting
  • In 1st gear, one is literally thrown back into the seats and the vehicle lunges forward like a leopard jumping on a prey.
  • In 2nd gear, if i go hard on accelerator, I can almost spin both wheels -- that's the amount of torque.
  • In city traffic I can be in 3rd gear all day long.
  • I can shift to 4th gear & 5th gear effortlessly even in city traffic.
  • Over speed breakers, I can slow down in 3rd gear and take it from there itself. No need to come to 2nd gear.

Now to supplement this burst of 'gearing torque' I need to make the Gypsy breathe in/out more freely. So a FFE/CAI is on the cards -- soon.

Then this gearing torque + the free revving gypsy engine will be 'magic'

PS: waiting to take out off-road soon to see what magic it does there.

Cheers,

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th January 2009 at 10:08.
Old 4th January 2009, 11:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

These figures are amazing, to say the least! I do not think we have any other ride which has similar torque!!!

The next off-road session is surely going to be a revelation for you! Great going, Khan!
Old 4th January 2009, 11:55   #43
Senior - BHPian

What difference do you see in the engine revs ? ie. do you instinctively rev it more than before ?
Old 4th January 2009, 12:06   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
What difference do you see in the engine revs ? ie. do you instinctively rev it more than before ?
No, I don't rev it and it is not rev happy right now (in relative terms compared to earlier) -- due to the increased 'gearing torque'.

Once I get the FFE/CAI done, it should become a bit more rev happy.
Old 4th January 2009, 12:45   #45
Team-BHP Support

Shahnawaz, all this on the new Maxxis tyre? How's the Maxxis tyre for on-road driving, I am really interested in those tyres.

You have thoroughly removed most of the Jeep advantages over the Gypsy one by one, except in the looks department.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks