BHPian

Best of luck for your project.
I also like ur white sporty jeep
Old 7th November 2008, 20:42   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Kandisa,
If you have seen the pic of my green Jeep? this one already has a booster, and after driving this jeep and I drive the white one (w/o booster) it feels like I am driving on failed brakes, believe me! but watch out as the booster is designed for disc brakes, we can still use it on drum brakes, never forget be soft on the brake pedal, for if you do it a bit hard the whole traffic on the road will turn to look at you...the screeching sound and the swinging foward and dead halt the Jeep comes to causes discomfort to us and others. Apart from this it is worth having this alteration in any 540/50 for you will stop standing on the brake pedal.

One important rule: Never install a used booster. Brand new only!!
A brand new Bolero booster costs 4,500+ change of brake and klutch pedals cost.

Replacing the whole steering assembly, costs just 4,500. dependable miles ahead for that cost on brakes and steering.

The scissor frame for top is the best option as it can be assembled and dismantled in the shortest time, just six bolts from frame to frameless. The way the nylon streches on this top and takes shape, no other type will do. However, do not ever go for less height at the rear end, makes the Jeep look like a hunchback. If you like the sloped look at the rear you can keep the frame 12" shorter than the body line (on top of the tailgate).

The Rollbar, I have fabricated for the green Jeep (undergoing transformation), white Jeep, I plan to keep without one, as I like this one retro.
Hi Fazal,

I completely agree with you on 540's braking w/o brake booster. I am experiencing the same in my Jeep . However i am bit sceptical about brake booster (servo) on brake drums.

My logic is that since servo also needs engine power to brake effectively. Why not go all the way and fit a disc brake kit. This will elimante the unrealiability of drum brakes when they are wet. However it will add complication since the braking now requires engine power(engine running).

There was good discussion about the same topic started by Samurai for his CL340 Jeep. However i would like to get your thoughts on how it will work out on a MM540 i.e. 1. Brake booster with drum brakes 2. Disc brakes (with brake booster of course).

Thank you
-Vaspro
Old 7th November 2008, 23:30   #18
BHPian

Hey jeepers

Finally bought a 540 after going through the forums for almost a month.

Its a 91 model 4x4 540 DP... here are the pics...

Mods - let me know if this should be in a new thread
Attached Thumbnails
Working on a 540 (Now Completed)-edited-number1.jpg  

Working on a 540 (Now Completed)-img_0076.jpg  

Old 8th November 2008, 00:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspro View Post
Hi Fazal,

I completely agree with you on 540's braking w/o brake booster. I am experiencing the same in my Jeep . However i am bit sceptical about brake booster (servo) on brake drums.

My logic is that since servo also needs engine power to brake effectively. Why not go all the way and fit a disc brake kit. This will elimante the unrealiability of drum brakes when they are wet. However it will add complication since the braking now requires engine power(engine running).

There was good discussion about the same topic started by Samurai for his CL340 Jeep. However i would like to get your thoughts on how it will work out on a MM540 i.e. 1. Brake booster with drum brakes 2. Disc brakes (with brake booster of course).

Thank you
-Vaspro
Vaspro,
If your engine power is good I think go for disc, it is an expensive affair but worth it. Bolero kit is what you will need from discs to booster to pedals.
Thanks.
All the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamir567 View Post
Best of luck for your project.
I also like ur white sporty jeep
Thanks Aamir,
Saw your videos, your jeep and you were as one when you moved, Inspiring indeed.
Fazal

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th November 2008 at 13:32. Reason: Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making two consecutive posts. Thanks.
Old 8th November 2008, 21:38   #20
BHPian

Hood Design

Quote:
Dear Friends,
Works are in progress on another MM540 (Olive Green)I picked up two months back, presently at the bodyshop(in pic.). Body works killed me, had to change the whole hood and I plan to drop it at the paintshop this week. Will definetely post pics after it is done in a month hopefully.
Youthful in nature and sporty is what I have in mind, different from my Jeep in looks but will maintain the Mahindra character and no alloys again.

[
Fazal,

I am particularly interested in the hood design that you are getting done on the olive green mm540. I am buying a MM550 very soon and want to change the hood. Can you post more pics of the hood design with details on the various mods being made.

Thanks!
Old 8th November 2008, 21:50   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wads78 View Post
Hey jeepers

Hey wads78, congratulations buddy for acquiring your Jeep. It looks good. Where did you buy it and how much did you pay for it (only if you wanna share).

The Jeep looks like its been repainted recently (smudges on the softtop is a give away). Did you get the engine & other mechanicals checked? How you intend you use this machine? (Daily drive, weekend recreation/OTR).

Welcome once again to the Jeep world and wish you many wonderful experiences with you steed.

Cheers!
-Vaspro
Old 8th November 2008, 22:01   #22
BHPian

Nice jeeps Fazal .There are some simple terms which one could use whilst fiddling around jeeps.
1> The bolts and the way they are positioned around in a circle is called PCD in market parlance.
2> If you are looking for alloy wheels or other discs ,all you need to ask the buyer is whether they are 139 PCD( Pitch Circle Diameter.)
3> The configuration that you are looking at will definitely give better offroad slow speed performance but bad highway turn of speed as experienced by me.
4> The other rims that you had posted, marked with arrows are actually with a different PCD.
5> I found fitting the Army Sandgrips gave the 440 good grip and stance.Attached is a picture of the sandgrips when new,they tend to wear out in 12000km or so on normal use.
Cheers.
Jammy.

Quote:
Dear Friends,
Works are in progress on another MM540 (Olive Green)I picked up two months back, presently at the bodyshop(in pic.). Body works killed me, had to change the whole hood and I plan to drop it at the paintshop this week. Will definetely post pics after it is done in a month hopefully.
Youthful in nature and sporty is what I have in mind, different from my Jeep in looks but will maintain the Mahindra character and no alloys again.

Attachment 66291

Attachment 66292
Attached Thumbnails
Working on a 540 (Now Completed)-sheru-enroute.jpg  

Old 9th November 2008, 08:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM440 View Post
Nice jeeps Fazal .There are some simple terms which one could use whilst fiddling around jeeps.
1> The bolts and the way they are positioned around in a circle is called PCD in market parlance.
2> If you are looking for alloy wheels or other discs ,all you need to ask the buyer is whether they are 139 PCD( Pitch Circle Diameter.)
3> The configuration that you are looking at will definitely give better offroad slow speed performance but bad highway turn of speed as experienced by me.
4> The other rims that you had posted, marked with arrows are actually with a different PCD.
5> I found fitting the Army Sandgrips gave the 440 good grip and stance.Attached is a picture of the sandgrips when new,they tend to wear out in 12000km or so on normal use.
Cheers.
Jammy.
Jammy,
Thanks for enlightning me on the terminlogy used,(PCD) I had to insert pics and use a million words to get my point across. You are right about the sandgrips wearing out early, it is a shame and I feel the reason for that is, 1. They are manafactured 6-8 years back, ones on my jeep are year: 2000. They are hard, recently in Hyderabad I saw on a Jeep in Hyderabad 2008 tyres, they were very soft compared to mine and coushiny too, these I feel will last longer than 12000 kms
2. These are mainly offroad tyres and tend to wear when used onroad.
Old 9th November 2008, 14:06   #24
BHPian

Thanks Vaspro, yeah it is a recently painted jeep. A guy who bought it in a auction sold it to me (it was auctioned by some bank).

I bought it for less than a lakh .

All the off roading threads and jeep thrills events inspired me to buy one. So yes I will definately use it for OTRs though i have not done any but very excited about doing one and use it on weekends as well.

I plan to change the color, tyres, get a roll cage etc. but it will be at a later stage. Right now I want to understand my jeep and build it slow and easy. Like someone said .." Jeeps are not bought they are built"

There are minor repairs to be done like Steering overhauling, Silencer packing, brakes etc.
Old 9th November 2008, 19:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wads78 View Post
Hey jeepers

Wads,
Congrats on your new posession, you will have a lovely time doing it up and I am sure it will be another beauty on our city roads, it has a neat bodyline from what I see in the pic and yes a 4X4 too. Awaiting to see the transformation.
Fazal
Old 9th November 2008, 22:40   #26
BHPian

mm440-thats one beauty you got there, congrats dude
Old 10th November 2008, 01:43   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Wads,
Congrats on your new posession, you will have a lovely time doing it up and I am sure it will be another beauty on our city roads, it has a neat bodyline from what I see in the pic and yes a 4X4 too. Awaiting to see the transformation.
Fazal
Thanks Fazal

right now im very confused on how i want the jeep to look like... i like your jeep(white) but i also like the one with radial tyres(on Gypsy rims)... so i am really not sure what i want . once i start working on it i will definately get in touch with you for inputs and your expert advice on breaks, steering etc....
Old 10th November 2008, 07:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by testdrive View Post
Fazal,

I am particularly interested in the hood design that you are getting done on the olive green mm540. I am buying a MM550 very soon and want to change the hood. Can you post more pics of the hood design with details on the various mods being made.

Thanks!
Testdrive,
If you mean the top design? It is two pipes crisscross and what they here call it is "KHAINCHI" (scissors). this design offers most flebility for fitting or taking it off the Jeep. It gives a good shape to the canvas we want to stretch it, you can see it on my jeep ar the pic. in the bodyshop.
Old 10th November 2008, 10:07   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but watch out as the booster is designed for disc brakes, we can still use it on drum brakes,
A brand new Bolero booster costs 4,500+ change of brake and klutch pedals cost.

Replacing the whole steering assembly, costs just 4,500. dependable miles ahead for that cost on brakes and steering.

The Rollbar, I have fabricated for the green Jeep (undergoing transformation), white Jeep, I plan to keep without one, as I like this one retro.
Thanks a lot for all these practical advices. It will really be helping a lot for my coming jeep project. Vaspro mentioned one very important point which was also going on in my mind (thanks for raising it): drum brake with booster and the disc. As you mentioned that the booster was essentially designed for the disc brakes, is there any side-effect of such a conversion in drum brake?
Regarding changing into a disc, two points you have mentioned: the cost and the engine power. I guess it will not be advisable to do such an upgrade for an engine of approx 1900 CC and 75 BHP? The cost somewhere I heard is around 12-15 K.
Regarding the rollbar/rollcage you have fabricated, how much is the dia of the pipe and where it has been attached (I mean the position in the jeep where it has been welded)? And the cost also please.
Finally, yeah, your white beauty will look better without a cage as it has that 'distinguishing' image in it
Old 10th November 2008, 10:52   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Jammy,
Thanks for enlightning me on the terminlogy used,(PCD) I had to insert pics and use a million words to get my point across. You are right about the sandgrips wearing out early, it is a shame and I feel the reason for that is, 1. They are manafactured 6-8 years back, ones on my jeep are year: 2000. They are hard, recently in Hyderabad I saw on a Jeep in Hyderabad 2008 tyres, they were very soft compared to mine and coushiny too, these I feel will last longer than 12000 kms
2. These are mainly offroad tyres and tend to wear when used onroad.
hi guys, i am dealing with alloy wheels in Goa for a long time, as far as i know, 16" alloys with 5 holes and 139.5 PCD are next to impossible to find, as Aura have almost stopped producing those and neo too dont have that pattern, i tried with a couple more suppliers that i know, but was unable to procure the same for my jeep.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks