Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2008, 09:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Working on a 540 (Now Completed)

Dear Friends,
Works are in progress on another MM540 (Olive Green)I picked up two months back, presently at the bodyshop(in pic.). Body works killed me, had to change the whole hood and I plan to drop it at the paintshop this week. Will definetely post pics after it is done in a month hopefully.
Youthful in nature and sporty is what I have in mind, different from my Jeep in looks but will maintain the Mahindra character and no alloys again.

Working on a 540 (Now Completed)-jeeps.jpg

Working on a 540 (Now Completed)-jeep-now.jpg
Old 4th November 2008, 13:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

well looks like its raining jeeps with you fazal. keep us updated regularly with photos of the new jeep under progress.

i would love to see the outcome/end result of your new jeep project.

cheers my friend.
Old 4th November 2008, 14:09   #3
BHPian

Another one?

Most of us here are struggling to find a single one.Good for you.All jeep WIP threads are subscription material for a lot of us. One more to the group.
Where are how much did you pick this one for? Any planned mods?
Old 4th November 2008, 14:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wow thats a nice looker. Even my 540 is having a paintjob done.
The White one behind looks good. Which are the tires that both ur jeeps are running on?
Old 4th November 2008, 22:35   #5
BHPian

Nice and neat 540s you got there Fazal bhai. I will definately get in touch with you after i lay my hands on one.
Old 5th November 2008, 00:03   #6
BHPian

white color?

I absolutely love your white jeep. Very tastefully done. Can you please tell me the exact shade of while paint used. I am planning to buy a MM540/550 soon.
Old 5th November 2008, 00:08   #7
BHPian

Fazal bhai,

can you tell me where in hyderabad we can purchase decent 540s (like the green one in the pic)? and what would be the approximate cost
Old 5th November 2008, 11:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Can't wait to see the 540 completed, is this a army vehicle?
Old 6th November 2008, 08:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wads78 View Post
Fazal bhai,

can you tell me where in hyderabad we can purchase decent 540s (like the green one in the pic)? and what would be the approximate cost
Wads78,
Theres one MM540 model 92, in original condition, excellent body, Pegeuot 540 engine, 4WD.
I would pick it up anyday if I had parking space and free cash.
If it is still there the owner is asking for 1.6 lakhs final (nothing less)
Are you intrested? if so contact me on 98850 71025.
Fazal
Old 6th November 2008, 08:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
Can't wait to see the 540 completed, is this a army vehicle?
Dinar,
No, it is not army looks like one though, it did not even have a 4WD, got one on it now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by testdrive View Post
I absolutely love your white jeep. Very tastefully done. Can you please tell me the exact shade of while paint used. I am planning to buy a MM540/550 soon.
I cant tell you the exact shade as I picked it up with the colour done, but it was whiter then than now, it is offwhitish and better than before.
Thanks for your comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Wow thats a nice looker. Even my 540 is having a paintjob done.
The White one behind looks good. Which are the tires that both ur jeeps are running on?
Maddy,
The white one has MRF Sandgrip on 16" wheels
The green is on CEAT regular Jeep tread on 15" wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayatarizona View Post
Another one?

Most of us here are struggling to find a single one.Good for you.All jeep WIP threads are subscription material for a lot of us. One more to the group.
Where are how much did you pick this one for? Any planned mods?
Hi Sanjay,
I picked this one for 1.6 lakhs for my cousin, it has DI engine (hate it) without a 4WD, reason I picked this one inspite the shortcomings is just crank start the engine and you can go all over the country, engine and suspension in excellent condition.
Oh Yes! plenty of mods on this one are underway, will post pics when done.
Fazal
Old 6th November 2008, 09:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Oh, can't wait to see the other jeep also getting transformed to a beauty as your 1st one. One query regarding the sandgrip tyres, how is the breaking on normal roads (breaking distance)? Also regarding the soft top arrangement in your 2nd jeep, is the scissor type of arrangement stable enough to accommodate the soft top properly, even at a considerable speed? I guess this is the cheapest option to get the soft top accommodated. What is the cost of a soft top with such an arrangement?
Old 6th November 2008, 20:31   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Wads78,
Theres one MM540 model 92, in original condition, excellent body, Pegeuot 540 engine, 4WD.
I would pick it up anyday if I had parking space and free cash.
If it is still there the owner is asking for 1.6 lakhs final (nothing less)
Are you intrested? if so contact me on 98850 71025.
Fazal
Thanks,

I got myself a 540 today. will post the pics soon.
Old 7th November 2008, 07:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Oh, can't wait to see the other jeep also getting transformed to a beauty as your 1st one. One query regarding the sandgrip tyres, how is the breaking on normal roads (breaking distance)? Also regarding the soft top arrangement in your 2nd jeep, is the scissor type of arrangement stable enough to accommodate the soft top properly, even at a considerable speed? I guess this is the cheapest option to get the soft top accommodated. What is the cost of a soft top with such an arrangement?
Kandisa,
Thanks for your kind comments.
The braking is good as any other groove on sandgrips, my problem is with the hard mechanical brakes 540 has, I soon plan to get a booster of Bolero fitted under my hood and before that need to get a steering assembly completely done up, these are the two major problems in my Jeep.
You can see in the second pic the scissors type frame is already in place,
best and convinient, will end it one feet short of the body at the rear end for a slope the whole fabrication and material and stitching of the top will cost about 3500, as half my top is already fitted (front part) to this will attach the rear half by welcro, notice in pic on top above pillar. Like you mentioned the scissors type is very well designed to take speeds and also the nylon or fabric stretches very well on that frame, on my Jeep (white) I have TUFTOP brand material.
Old 7th November 2008, 14:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Kandisa,
Thanks for your kind comments.
The braking is good as any other groove on sandgrips, my problem is with the hard mechanical brakes 540 has, I soon plan to get a booster of Bolero fitted under my hood and before that need to get a steering assembly completely done up, these are the two major problems in my Jeep.
You can see in the second pic the scissors type frame is already in place,
best and convinient, will end it one feet short of the body at the rear end for a slope the whole fabrication and material and stitching of the top will cost about 3500, as half my top is already fitted (front part) to this will attach the rear half by welcro, notice in pic on top above pillar.
Yeah a booster will definitely make the braking effort lot less. Actually someone told me that the braking distance is bit more for these tyres, thats why asked you.
Are you planning to overhaul the steering box and assembly or replace with a new one? Regarding the scissor type frame,I understand this is custom fabricated and must be removable also for flexibility. Less height at the rear will give it a good look. I am sure you are going to attach a rollcage also very soon.
Old 7th November 2008, 17:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Yeah a booster will definitely make the braking effort lot less. Actually someone told me that the braking distance is bit more for these tyres, thats why asked you.
Are you planning to overhaul the steering box and assembly or replace with a new one? Regarding the scissor type frame,I understand this is custom fabricated and must be removable also for flexibility. Less height at the rear will give it a good look. I am sure you are going to attach a rollcage also very soon.
Kandisa,
If you have seen the pic of my green Jeep? this one already has a booster, and after driving this jeep and I drive the white one (w/o booster) it feels like I am driving on failed brakes, believe me! but watch out as the booster is designed for disc brakes, we can still use it on drum brakes, never forget be soft on the brake pedal, for if you do it a bit hard the whole traffic on the road will turn to look at you...the screeching sound and the swinging foward and dead halt the Jeep comes to causes discomfort to us and others. Apart from this it is worth having this alteration in any 540/50 for you will stop standing on the brake pedal.

One important rule: Never install a used booster. Brand new only!!
A brand new Bolero booster costs 4,500+ change of brake and klutch pedals cost.

Replacing the whole steering assembly, costs just 4,500. dependable miles ahead for that cost on brakes and steering.

The scissor frame for top is the best option as it can be assembled and dismantled in the shortest time, just six bolts from frame to frameless. The way the nylon streches on this top and takes shape, no other type will do. However, do not ever go for less height at the rear end, makes the Jeep look like a hunchback. If you like the sloped look at the rear you can keep the frame 12" shorter than the body line (on top of the tailgate).

The Rollbar, I have fabricated for the green Jeep (undergoing transformation), white Jeep, I plan to keep without one, as I like this one retro.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks