Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2008, 13:36   #1
BHPian

MM 540 Rebuild

Hi All,

Since Sairaam rai had some problems in creating a new thread for his MM 540 Restoration queries, I have opened it for him. Here are couple of posts which he had posted in my thread.

Quote:
I have been following your thread closely , your jeep is turning out quite nicely. as of yesterday i have also started the process of rebuilding my mm540, wanted to start a new thread on that, can you pl advice how i can go about doing it?
Quote:
sorry for hijacking your thread sabreesh, but as i am not able to open a new thread, i will as you to advice me on the following, I have received a quote from the garage as follows, would really appreciate if the experts could advice me whether the quoted prices seem reasonable.

1.Engine overhualing ,Reboring,Changing main and connecting Bearings
Piston and Rings Major Gasket Kit and necessary parts Rs.23000/-

2.Complete Vehicle Painting colour of your choice Rs.18000/-

3.Tinkering Complete Vehicle Rs.8500/-

4.Seats and Top Rs.7500/-

5.Radiator assembly Rs.4860/-

6.suspention work Rs.3750/-

7.All four springblade resetting Rs.2400/-

8.Complete Electrical works & Changing head lights
and Necassary cutouts Rs.4500/-

9.Door Beadings and Channels Rs.1250/-

Total Rs.73,760

pl treat this as urgent because I need to finalise this with him and get the job completed by the 10th of dec because I am planning to drive down from blore to trivandrum on the 19th of dec. thanking you in advance,
Sai
Sai, please continue with your queries here. A lot of JEEP gurus will be more than happy to help you.
Old 24th November 2008, 15:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

hi sai ram rai,
To me this seems reasonable, expect it to go up when you take a plunge into it.....Jeep building is all about ready to spend more even when your pocket is empty:-)))))
Old 24th November 2008, 15:36   #3
BHPian

Hi Sai, welcome on the crazy boat. Vinod is correct.. When its come to restoration or rebuilding, Jeep means Just Empty Every Pocket.

All the very best, Naren
Old 24th November 2008, 17:56   #4

thanks sabreesh for starting this thread for me, appreciate that very much will start posting the progress on the project.
Sai
Old 1st February 2012, 20:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: MM 540 Rebuild

Saw this interesting video on youtube, thought of sharing here.

Spike

Mods please move to appropriate thread if required.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 18:16   #6
BHPian

Pretty nice video....

Also folks, I have few questions which I think might find answers here from experts....i have recently acquired MM540DP and it has not Power booster brakes and hence city commuting for me is scary just for the sake of hard brakes....

I am looking forward to get power booster brakes installed onto my jeep, so tht I can have effective braking during city commutes....

the mechanic quotes 6k + for power booster brakes and 6K for some connection to alternator....overall including labor it would come to 15k

Is this viable option? I am based out of Bangalore

Please help

Mods please move to appropriate thread if required.[/quote]
Old 7th February 2012, 18:28   #7
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksperliter View Post

I am looking forward to get power booster brakes installed onto my jeep, so tht I can have effective braking during city commutes....

the mechanic quotes 6k + for power booster brakes and 6K for some connection to alternator....overall including labor it would come to 15k
Looks like a reasonable estimate. Cost me 15k last year. Just make sure you don't use any used parts when it comes to your braking system and buy parts of a reliable make. A mod for powerful brakes is nice to have but brakes that always work are more important

Good luck!
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks