Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2008, 11:18   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Strangely I never checked this comparison out.
Not that there have not been opportunities. Both during the last Storm and last Raid there were GV's and Pajero's doing all the off road / mountain / slush driving along sides the Gypsy's. We really did not test each other's steed out since though or took on challenges from each other.
Endy got stuck few times in sand. I saw it being pulled out by a Gypsy - before you imagine anyhing else - with anchor and winch.

So may be in the next out of NCR-OTR?
Old 27th November 2008, 11:45   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Strangely I never checked this comparison out.
Not that there have not been opportunities. Both during the last Storm and last Raid there were GV's and Pajero's doing all the off road / mountain / slush driving along sides the Gypsy's. We really did not test each other's steed out since though or took on challenges from each other.
Endy got stuck few times in sand. I saw it being pulled out by a Gypsy - before you imagine anyhing else - with anchor and winch.

So may be in the next out of NCR-OTR?

I strongly urge NCR 4x4 owners (not just jeeper) to visit the NCR OTR's at least once. It would be a shame not to...! I understand aprehensions of taking your daily drive / pride and joy and putting it thru all that these jeeps go thru. But in all reality you dont have to,..Most trails are comfortably doable,.and would just put your judgement of the terrain and axle artculation to the tests. Let the vertical hill climbs be,.. as that is where you will do maximum damage.
Regarding worries on scarping paint (thorns and shrubs),..very minimal,..nothing a good buffing would'nt take care off.

There is another one planned for 29th Nov,..I will not be going as we have a T-bhp meet planned on this weekend,..but I sure as hell would be there for the one after that.
I can wait for my son to be older to take him along,..he is just 2 now

Anyways back to the topic,...The GV in the right hands can be a formidable machine,..its only how far you are willing to go without worrying about the bumpers,..and underbody getting dinged.
Old 27th November 2008, 11:52   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
I strongly urge NCR 4x4 owners (not just jeeper) to visit the NCR OTR's at least once. It would be a shame not to...! I understand aprehensions of taking your daily drive / pride and joy and putting it thru all that these jeeps go thru. But in all reality you dont have to,..Most trails are comfortably doable,.and would just put your judgement of the terrain and axle artculation to the tests. Let the vertical hill climbs be,.. as that is where you will do maximum damage.
Regarding worries on scarping paint (thorns and shrubs),..very minimal,..nothing a good buffing would'nt take care off.
Least of worries here. Be assured I have gone through a lot with my GV. Just that till now (including upcoming 29th) has not meshed with my personal commitments.

Quote:
Anyways back to the topic,...The GV in the right hands can be a formidable machine,....
Agreed and have put it through lot of "tests" with good results so far and it has been a rewarding experience.
Old 27th November 2008, 12:03   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
Anyways back to the topic,...The GV in the right hands can be a formidable machine,..its only how far you are willing to go without worrying about the bumpers,..and underbody getting dinged.
Next to a Jeep, GV will feel thoroughly in-adequte in offroad terrain. I should know, I have both and I have compared. You guys have to realise, GV is a moderate offroader, with moderate power and highway tyres. The kind of terrain Jeep Thrills guys do is beyond the ability of GV. Oh yeah, you can take the GV there and may be it will even survive the terrain. However, the cost to fix the body damage can get you a new used Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Agreed and have put it through lot of "tests" with good results so far and it has been a rewarding experience.
Sudev, the Jeep guys have a very different impression of off-roading, there GV won't come out unscathed.

Here is a simple example where the GV will sit on the belly.

Last edited by Samurai : 27th November 2008 at 12:12.
Old 27th November 2008, 12:43   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

@Samurai: "Going not equal to doing" But I suspect you are right on the nail on this one.
Old 27th November 2008, 14:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

@Samurai
After viewing the jeep video, couple of videos of white GV came up. Are they also posted by you or they are randomly getting pushed by youtube?
Old 27th November 2008, 14:30   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
@Samurai
After viewing the jeep video, couple of videos of white GV came up. Are they also posted by you or they are randomly getting pushed by Youtube?
Probably mine, check whether the poster is same.
Old 27th November 2008, 14:33   #23
BHPian

I am sure it is samurai's, since the title says this "Grand Vitara incline climb defeated by new skid plates"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks