Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2010, 22:27   #31
BHPian

Now we are talking. This comes from another M&M guy right? Might be feasible to provide a cheaper 4*4 as a basic SWB with new engine(BS?) and other improvements to pass CMVR.
I must say this way of developing and launching a vehicle by Mahindras is great, the way they brought the Thar.

Regards

Pranav
Old 8th February 2010, 22:58   #32
Senior - BHPian

NDMS can you clarify which "way" you are talking about?

Spike
Old 8th February 2010, 23:21   #33
BHPian

I wrote, the way they brought the Thar, by taking so much inputs and suggestions from the target customers the 4*4 crowd. Wasn't this the way or just to create a hype. This way is a good way, I hope I am clear now. Either You don't like good words or you are not from M&M. I thought you were with Behram sir.

Am I striking wrong chords or talking to a wrong person.

Regards

Pranav

Last edited by NDMS : 8th February 2010 at 23:23.
Old 8th February 2010, 23:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

thanks ndms, you are clear now,

Spike
Old 9th February 2010, 00:12   #35
BHPian

Classic as an true offroader

I would prefer a very basic version. A straight forward, simple and functional Jeep. As earlies said, Jeep was a hit for its rugged and functional design. I would buy a classic for offroading only. Thar will be my daily drive and for highways.
Classic should be as simple as to be repaired and modified in my garage, I would not opt for a CRDi(yes, I know BS4). Speed is not required for this offroader, but rugged, hardy and water proof (include engine as well) will be great.
Old 9th February 2010, 15:45   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
jaggu bhai, what if you have a replacement for CL?

Spike
do you mean an improvement on the existing Major 4X4 ?
Old 9th February 2010, 15:48   #37
BANNED

And starts a wild goose chase...
Old 9th February 2010, 16:21   #38
Team-BHP Support

I want one in short chassis

But hey it would be great to see a new CL also, though might not really strike the chord with urban offroad chaps (majority in TBHP) if its made for only rural travel and not really suitable for offroading.
Old 9th February 2010, 16:28   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

I donate my classic for trials if they wish to experiment by installing a scorpio engine. No fee, it's free. I just get to keep the engine once it's mated successfully. Oh, and if you want to test out the MSD, that's fine too; you can keep the old axle. And i'm not greedy, i don't need IFS, the old leaf will do.
Old 9th February 2010, 16:55   #40
Team-BHP Support

Spike, can you clarify whether you are referring to CL340 or CL500? Mahindra doesn't have the engine to qualify for M1 category, that eliminates 2 seater or 4 seater version. And I can't imagine a 7 seater SWB...

Last edited by Samurai : 9th February 2010 at 17:07.
Old 9th February 2010, 21:33   #41
Senior - BHPian

Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Spike, can you clarify whether you are referring to CL340 or CL500? Mahindra doesn't have the engine to qualify for M1 category, that eliminates 2 seater or 4 seater version. And I can't imagine a 7 seater SWB...
@Samurai, for qualifying into M1 category it is not the just the engine, your reference mass also matters, if your reference mass lies within that class you can still launch the vehicle, Mahindra vehicles are sold as M1 because they specify the criteria (emission class) of N1 category (yes you are right they don't have engine as of now), only some parameters like Drivers field of vision, seat anchorage, external projections, pass by noise, test for interior fittings change when the vehicle is placed in M1 category, regarding your query on the 7 seater SWB what if the WB is sufficient to accomodate 7-8 people,i hope you must have got the smell by now

Spike
Old 9th February 2010, 23:12   #42
BHPian

The post by Spike is pointed towards the new Major I guess that was being discussed in the Major 4*4 thread with new engine and color options.

Regards

Pranav
Old 11th February 2010, 14:38   #43
Senior - BHPian

[quote=kuttapan;1086104]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
WHy 4 lakhs, Samurai? Do not forget that the major retails for higher. M&M is not doing charity, it's a business, they have to have their share of profits.

You know what you can get for 4 lakhs in the Indian market, don't you - Spark, Estilo etyadi...
A simple 4x4, bare bones, should have low production costs, e.g. much lower than Spark, Estilo etc..... 4.5L to 5.3L should be doable. The more equipment and refinement it has, the more likely it is to compete with the Thar and that ain't a good thing for M&M. This new swb jeep has to be different in equipment and price from the Thar or customers will just buy the Thar.

I imagine there is an engine in development or on an existing platform that is BSIV compliant and that can power a SWB 4x4 with vim and vigor.
Old 23rd December 2010, 00:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

Re: CL340-4WD wish list - what you really want in your CL340-4WD?

Dear DB,

Congratulations for bringing New ERA MM540 aka Thar on reality. I'm sure the MM540 wishlist is what you were referring as customer inputs.

Now the Thar is made available and you already started questions for Thar V2, I have a strong feeling that you by starting this tread have a target to bring back "The Call of the Wild".

I hope that comes to reality(SWB) like Thar.

Waiting for your reply.....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks