Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2008, 08:07   #1

MM550 starter issues

Hi Jeep gurus... for the last couple of weeks I've been having issues with a sluggish starter motor and finally yesterday at the Chudemahalli OTR, the starter died.

A "known" jeep mechanic looked at the vehicle and immediately diagnosed it as an alternator problem not charging the battery and hence low juice to crank the starter. He wanted me to leave the jeep overnight at his garage to "fix" the alternator, but I decided to have a second opinion. Now the other mechanic... actually a Mahindra authorized service center went through a detailed checkup and said that the alternator is OK and the battery is also charging but the problem is with the starter motor.

He's opened the starter up and has said that the entire armature, grounding assembly and the brushes inside have to be replaced. Now, being a newbie jeeper, I'm not even sure how to determine if the issue is with the starter or like the other guy said with the alternator?

I've attached a few pics of the opened starter [sorry about the quality, this was taken using my phone]. Could you please let me know if anything can be repaired/salvaged in this or should I just go in for a complete replacement? Or should I ask him to open up the alternator too?

Also, the cost of replacement [ball park] quoted by the authorised service center is:

New armature: Rs. 2000/-
Grounding assembly: Rs. 500/-
Brushes: Rs. 250/-

Is this reasonable? Anyone got their starter motor overhauled recently who can comment on the expenditure... or if anything can be done of the parts below?

MM550 starter issues-dsc00180.jpg
MM550 starter issues-dsc00181.jpg
MM550 starter issues-dsc00182.jpg
MM550 starter issues-dsc00183.jpg
Old 15th December 2008, 09:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

From what I can see, your starter need the parts, get the armature checked at a authorized MICO or LUCAS [depending on the make] service center,it takes 5 to -10 min. they check for the resistance of the coil and determine if it needs replacement, the carbon brushes have to be changed on your starter [ they are in bad state] and the grounding mechanism also may be required.[can not tell by pic] but these need changing also. how long has it been since the electrical were serviced? if you do a lot of slow driving,[off roading included] it better you get the alternator checked for brushes and cleaned to avoid getting stuck in future when off roading.
Usually these unit need servicing on M&M 540/550/commander, at around 70- 90 thousand KMs, so that one does not get stuck anywhere.

Last edited by dinar : 15th December 2008 at 09:59.
Old 15th December 2008, 11:06   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
From what I can see, your starter need the parts, get the armature checked at a authorized MICO or LUCAS [depending on the make] service center,it takes 5 to -10 min. they check for the resistance of the coil and determine if it needs replacement, the carbon brushes have to be changed on your starter [ they are in bad state] and the grounding mechanism also may be required.[can not tell by pic] but these need changing also. how long has it been since the electrical were serviced? if you do a lot of slow driving,[off roading included] it better you get the alternator checked for brushes and cleaned to avoid getting stuck in future when off roading.
Usually these unit need servicing on M&M 540/550/commander, at around 70- 90 thousand KMs, so that one does not get stuck anywhere.
Hi Dinar, I bought the Jeep around 6 months back and at that time the odometer showed 97K kms. I don't know when the electricals were serviced last [or even if it had been serviced at all by the previous owner]. Thanks for the input, I'll try and show it to a MICO or LUCAS dealer after I figure out whose starter I'm using.

So, you're suggesting that I get the alternator opened & checked also? Yes, I try to do an OTR at least once a month, but regardless of OTR or not, I have to do a lot of slow driving... on traffic infested Bangalore roads that is!

BTW what about the quotation I received for starter overhauling? Is that reasonable? How much would it cost to get the alternator overhauled [if it comes down to that]?
Old 17th December 2008, 23:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hey sorry for the late reply,was out on work and could not access net.Yes, the quot is about right. do not fall for the cheap armature parts [they start from Rs400/-] they do not last for long.
If slow driving is what is done most, the speed of the alternator is also slow and any resistance in the circuit even at the point of generation will give less power output, this in turn will be not sufficient for charging the battery.
Alternator will only need carbon brushes and a good cleaning, using a strong solvent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks