Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2008, 22:42   #1
BHPian

Pre, While & Post OTR precautions and checks on your Vehicle

Well,
After the recent slush OTR,( discussed here ) a few interesting points came up regarding the water/dirt/slush and its effect on the vehicle.
Other than a water wash, i haven't done any other check on my vehicle and after going through the above thread, i realize that there are a lot of other nitty-gritties one has to concentrate on even after coming home.
I would like to know more about the checks and precautions one has to take on the vehicle before and after an OTR.

like,
While at an OTR,
1. Do not drive splashing water which may look cool, but there is a danger of water/mud entering your engine via a,b and c.
2. What happens when water enters.
3. How bad will the situation be.
4. Are there other parts that get effected by water/dirt ?
5. How to identify parts that can go wrong. Like, can the leaf spring show you signs that its going to give up at anytime ?

What are the precautions to be taken before going on a slush drive
1. Remove the fan belt while crossing water.(why?)
What are the checks one has to do after coming home
1. Check if the dirt entered the differential, (how) if yes, then drain the diff oil and replace with new. Any thing more ?

This need not be just about water/slush etc. Your observations, tips and views on dry, rocky and snow terrains and other situations would help a lot in a happy and safe OTR experience.

Regards,
Krishna.
Old 19th December 2008, 01:16   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
While at an OTR,
1. Do not drive splashing water which may look cool, but there is a danger of water/mud entering your engine via a,b and c.
5. How to identify parts that can go wrong. Like, can the leaf spring show you signs that its going to give up at anytime ?

What are the precautions to be taken before going on a slush drive
What are the checks one has to do after coming home
1. Check if the dirt entered the differential, (how) if yes, then drain the diff oil and replace with new. Any thing more ?

This need not be just about water/slush etc. Your observations, tips and views on dry, rocky and snow terrains and other situations would help a lot in a happy and safe OTR experience.

Regards,
Krishna.
Kitti, I am no expert but thought of putting my 2 cents here.

If the water goes in to Combustion chamber thru the air intake, your con rod/piston will be smashed, How? coz the water is not compressible like fuel. When there is a mixture of diesel/petrol with air, when compressed it will explode hence you get the power. Water is not inflammable/compressible so you Con Rod and Piston will give way.

Depends, how worse the damage is, sometimes you may need to replace the piston/ con rod in one cylinder or more.

As mentioned, Differential, if your breather plug is not good, as soon as you touch the water, the Hot differential will become cold suddenly and create a vaccum inside and suck in the water. Alternator, as you can see water will get inside the alternator thru several openings. Starter Motor, same as alternator, it has lot of openings. Wheel drums, if its just water then no problem, but along with water if there is mud, your drum/brake shoes may get spoiled over a period of time by braking.

Most of the time, it will make some wired noise if you drive on uneven, pot holed road. If the sound remains even after you had an under body greasing then there is something wrong. I do check once in a week for all these things lying under the Jeep.

There may be several reasons.
a) If the fan hit the water, there is a chance of breaking it since those are designed for air flow.
b) It will plash the water all over the engine compartment hence chance of water getting inside all the above mentioned parts.
c) The broken/misaligned leaf of fan can make a hole in your radiator which will make your vehicle non drivable.

Almost all the oil change and regular checkups can be done by yourself. I started doing it myself. Just drain the oil from differential using an allenkey. Check the oil for water, if there is water it will be there at the bottom of the housing. Change it thru the oil plug.

Jeep is all about getting dirty, On the Road, Off the Road and at your basement parking.

Thanks
Sree

Last edited by sreerajunnithan : 19th December 2008 at 01:21.
Old 19th December 2008, 08:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. You can splash water if you know your vehicle inside out!

2. Water will enter only if you stall the engine while doing a water crossing above the bumper level of your jeep / 4wd vehicle generally speaking.

3. The situation will be as bad as one can IMAGINE: LOL

As our friend has mentioned the fan belt is removed to prevent the water splashing inside the bonnet. One could also install the viscous fan instead to prevent the water splash. The viscous fan stops rotation once the fan touches water!

Leaf springs and shackles need to be looked after, after every OTR to ensure they are lubricated properly. Generally lubrication or the lack of it is what snaps the Leaf!

Also, the differential, gearbox etc have a small breather hole on top of them. Get to know them.

Water will not enter the breather hole while moving in water, but only if stationery!

Ofcourse, experts could please correct / add to this!
Old 19th December 2008, 13:08   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Post OTR Checklists

Both of you have pretty much covered everything relating to taking care during water crossings. I think it will be apt to have a thread detailing water crossings do's and dont's and another thread that focuses only on pre and post OTR checklist.

Usually most of us check everything out pre-otr because the last thing we want is a breakdown to our jeep and ego during a climb (or worse a descent).

Now, post OTR, please have your jeep's underbody washed thoroughly. Inspect for any joints being loose. The OTR has been a gruelling experience for your 4wd vehicle. Its akin to going for a boxing match and then just having a warm bath thereafter. Will that suffice? For example, y'day when I washed the underbody, I noticed that the shaft connecting to the front WD was loose now I will need to take her to the garage to check further. Moreover all your joints will need to be re-greased.

Now wrt the differential, after every water crossing which has been above your Diff, it is mandatory that you open the differential, drain out all oil and replace it with fresh oil. This is very important. Especially after the Sarjapura OTR Krishna

I also hope water has not entered your gearbox and clutch. If you feel some discomfort while de-clutch, please open it up, dry it out completely, re-lubricate, and put them back. Having water inside and letting it dry out by itself will not allow your clutch to have friction with your flywheel, and may also cause rust if allowed to be there for a longer period. Moreover the lubrication would have vanished, and thus the friction when it engages with your flywheel will be like rubbing sandpaper against wood - causing your clutch plate to shave off.

Unfortunately OTR's are not as cheap as just putting fuel and getting a beer
Old 19th December 2008, 18:10   #5
BHPian

Thankyou all guys. Please keep them coming.
Quote:
Unfortunately OTR's are not as cheap as just putting fuel and getting a beer
Well said Red Liner. Yeah, i realized it lately and thats exactly why i started this thread.
Quote:
Also, the differential, gearbox etc have a small breather hole on top of them. Get to know them.
My differential breather hole has a long tube that extends till the battery. So logically i can expect myself to be on the safer side. Nevertheless, i shall give it a check.
Quote:
I also hope water has not entered your gearbox and clutch. If you feel some discomfort while de-clutch, please open it up, dry it out completely, re-lubricate, and put them back.
Discomfort while de-clutch, can you elaborate on this please.
Quote:
but along with water if there is mud, your drum/brake shoes may get spoiled over a period of time by braking
So, will a water wash set things right ?

Now, all this wrt to slush and mud. What are the possible things that can arise out of a typical rocky terrain like the Ramnagaram OTR we did a few weeks ago.

Regards,
Krishna.
kittigadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2008, 18:19   #6
BANNED

Whats required for a real enthusiast is to learn everything there is to know about your vehicle.

You should be a DIY person and slowly start mending your own jeep after every OTR. You learn a hell lot.
Old 19th December 2008, 18:22   #7
BHPian

differential breather hole with a pipe till the battery?
Old 19th December 2008, 18:28   #8
BHPian

yes siddhu,
Shall post some pics tomorrow. Both for the front and the rear diffs have a rubber pipe of almost a meter long. Khan discovered it during the Solagiri OTR.

regards,
Krishna.
Old 20th December 2008, 13:00   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
yes siddhu,
Shall post some pics tomorrow. Both for the front and the rear diffs have a rubber pipe of almost a meter long. Khan discovered it during the Solagiri OTR.

regards,
Krishna.
AMAZING! That was what I was coming to, and you beat me to it See image below to know how it looks. Kittu, I understand that yours was an army vehicle...they have done a great job with it. You do not need wading plugs. I would love to see the underchassis of your jeep sometime and see how they have drawn these pipes and kept them in place.

When I said discomfort when you de-clutch, just check whether its smooth and you hear any noises etc. I gather that you dont, or else you would have SOS'ed by now.
Attached Thumbnails
Pre, While & Post OTR precautions and checks on your Vehicle-hysteer19.jpg  

Old 20th December 2008, 13:19   #10
BHPian

now i get it! , hmmm i need to be more observant!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks