Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2009, 12:35   #31
Senior - BHPian

Awesome machine now !

Now it is truly a true-blue off-roader, khan_sultan, your Gypsy certainly looks mean now, ready to tackle any terrain.

This was one change that was really needed on your Gypsy, and glad it has happened now !

The front bumper removal/mod is also enhancing the mean offroading looks of the machine.

Happy off-roading ! and hope we get to see some off-roading pics soon (maybe not a full-fledged off-roading meet, but at least a quicky off-roading session this weekend, at least for the pics ? maybe I am asking for too much ?! )

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 8th January 2009 at 12:37.
Old 8th January 2009, 12:47   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Yes. There is an increase in GC now.

Previous figures with 215/75/15 Tyres:
27.7" dia
87" circumference

Now with 235/75/15 Tyres
28.88" dia
90.72" circumference

So there should be approx 1.00" increased GC now.
Actually No. the increase in GC = increase in radius, not diameter.

Therefore, the increase in GC will be (28.88-27.7)/2 = 0.59 inch
Old 8th January 2009, 12:55   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. There is an increase in GC now.

Previous figures with 215/75/15 Tyres:
27.7" dia
87" circumference

Now with 235/75/15 Tyres
28.88" dia
90.72" circumference

So there should be approx 1.00" increased GC now.

Not noticed it as yet and my parking and travel today did include some tight turns. I think that with 235, one is just at the limit of touching at lock to lock.

However, will have to observe it carefully over the next few days to be 100% sure.

Bolt on. No modification done -- no spacers etc.
now that you have these nice chunky maxiz ones what are u planning to with mrf zigmas , they looked like they still have 20k kms on them?
Old 8th January 2009, 13:10   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Actually No. the increase in GC = increase in radius, not diameter.

Therefore, the increase in GC will be (28.88-27.7)/2 = 0.59 inch
. Yes. that's true. I had a feeling that something was not correct when I mentioned 1".

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
now that you have these nice chunky maxiz ones what are u planning to with mrf zigmas , they looked like they still have 20k kms on them?
Sold them for 8K. They have another 30K + on them. I had done just approx 8K on them.

Do you want them? If yes, let me know and I will see if I can get them back for you.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 8th January 2009 at 13:12.
Old 8th January 2009, 13:14   #35
BHPian

Quote:
. Yes. that's true. I had a feeling that something was not correct when I mentioned 1".

Sold them for 8K. They have another 30K + on them. I had done just approx 8K on them.

Do you want them? If yes, let me know and I will see if I can get them back for you.
yes , why do u think i am asking!!
Old 8th January 2009, 15:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

Nice Tires, I like the way the Front axle is painted red and the no bumper look works very well.

Did you say Crawler installed? details please? how is it engaged and approx what speed does it crawl at?
Old 8th January 2009, 15:06   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
...Did you say Crawler installed? details please? how is it engaged and approx what speed does it crawl at?
Here you go IronWolf: KS's "Diary of the Beast" : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...e-gearset.html

(PS: reference to earlier installs are also present in the post mentioned above.)
Old 8th January 2009, 16:41   #38
BHPian

What are you doing about the spare tyre? As there are directional tyres, one should ideally have two spares, but that is not practical.
Old 8th January 2009, 16:44   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
What are you doing about the spare tyre? As there are directional tyres, one should ideally have two spares, but that is not practical.
You know what, you just rubbed it in mate . I know .
What to do. Can't carry 2 spares so will be trying my luck. Right now it is set in the direction of the right hand side tyres -- as that's the side I have had punctures in past( so going by experience).

Let's see if my luck holds or not. Also, as these are tubeless, so can drive for some time in emergency also.
Old 8th January 2009, 19:39   #40
BHPian

If you suffer a puncture on a tubeless tyre, it can be fixed in the field in a few minutes. I have done it on my jeep. One needs a tubeless tyre repair kit and a foot pump.

How do you plan to rotate your tyres, as you have three for one side and only two for the other? The RH side tyres will outlast the LH side tyres now.
Old 8th January 2009, 19:57   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
..How do you plan to rotate your tyres, as you have three for one side and only two for the other? The RH side tyres will outlast the LH side tyres now.
Will cross that bridge when I encounter it. Who knows what will happen to the Gypsy by then. -- maybe an extra set of spare?
Old 8th January 2009, 20:23   #42
Team-BHP Support

You can always put directional tyres on the wrong side until you reach a puncture shop. Just don't go fast.

I have seen bling cars with directional tyres mounted the wrong way, and they are oblivious to their goof-up.
Old 8th January 2009, 20:48   #43
Team-BHP Support

Directional tyres can be put on either side correctly. You just have to go to tyre walla and get the tyre fitted on the rim correctly. They are not sold as left right combination.
Old 10th January 2009, 20:49   #44
BHPian

Khan you shud go for free wheeling hubs & feel the difference on roads at least, esp now with your new set of tyres
Old 11th January 2009, 08:15   #45
BHPian

Quote:
The stock bumper is of no use in OTR. Am getting a custom front bumper fabricated that will be useful in OTR's.
Khan, a beutiful and very much capable Gypsy. I apreciate all the efforts you are putting (some of your other threads are in my this week's 'to do' list).

Can you tell us more about the new custom built front bumper. Can you share the design too. I am geting excited as I never saw any Gypsy with cutomized front bumper and even never imagine.

PS :: Never share your address to any of the BHPian as the next day morning you may find your Gypsy stolen.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks