Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2009, 09:05   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
That's pretty deep Khan! So who pulled it out?
Yes, that's pretty deep -- considering that the Gypsy is really high now. See picture below.

Gypsy on Steroids: Maxxis Trepador M8060 MT. Update Now on Yoko Geolander MT!-t4.jpg

I think that I would have come out on my own (not sure but), if both the front/rear diff were not also stuck in the slush. Till that time, I was able to do the forward - reverse - forward routine and was moving.

Oh, it was a MM 540 that pulled me out.
Old 27th March 2009, 14:38   #62
BHPian

Nice work Khan saab, just wish it had a more muscle under the hood.
Old 29th March 2009, 20:15   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Maxxis on SAND

An update after encountering 'sand' (soft, riverside dry sand bed) for the first time after putting in these tyres.
  • If taken from a 'standing start' in sand, in 2WD, the tyres just dig in REAL hard and the Gypsy doesn't move.
  • If 4WD-H is engaged from standing start, then the tyres dig in a little but it moves on from there bit a bit of effort.
  • If one comes to sand when one is already in 2WD and is coming into sand with a bit of momentum, then the tyres don't dif as much but the momentum carries the gypsy fiorward.
  • However, if you lose momentum in between then it is back to square one.
PS: All this is WITHOUT reducing tyre pressure. (Had ~28-30 psi in the tyres)
Old 18th April 2009, 16:52   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
An update after encountering 'sand' (soft, riverside dry sand bed) for the first time after putting in these tyres.
  • If taken from a 'standing start' in sand, in 2WD, the tyres just dig in REAL hard and the Gypsy doesn't move.
  • If 4WD-H is engaged from standing start, then the tyres dig in a little but it moves on from there bit a bit of effort.
  • If one comes to sand when one is already in 2WD and is coming into sand with a bit of momentum, then the tyres don't dif as much but the momentum carries the gypsy fiorward.
  • However, if you lose momentum in between then it is back to square one.
PS: All this is WITHOUT reducing tyre pressure. (Had ~28-30 psi in the tyres)
What about coming in sand with 4x4 engaged, can you do good sand drifting??
Old 18th April 2009, 17:32   #65
BHPian

You've got the plough tires as used in tractors, Khan Sahb, basically paddleing tires. And the only way to get them over sand is loads of momentum, and for that we need loads of power, which sadly we are deprived of in India. Once the vehicle has enough power to carry on at the same momentum without the motor loosing power due to the immense load put on it by the sand, it would just breeze though. Thats what i feel, and maybe other ppl would think otherwise. This is the only way we overcome loose mud odstacles with an underpower vehicle. We take a run-up to build up momentum to climb up a small muddy hill, don't we? Anyways, i'am just my views here.
Take care
Old 18th April 2009, 17:55   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
You've got the plough tires as used in tractors, Khan Sahb, basically paddleing tires. And the only way to get them over sand is loads of momentum, and for that we need loads of power, which sadly we are deprived of in India. Once the vehicle has enough power to carry on at the same momentum without the motor loosing power due to the immense load put on it by the sand, it would just breeze though. Thats what i feel, and maybe other ppl would think otherwise. This is the only way we overcome loose mud odstacles with an underpower vehicle. We take a run-up to build up momentum to climb up a small muddy hill, don't we? Anyways, i'am just my views here.
Take care
Ya Brutus, you may be right but the question I am asking is keeping the same vehicle and power how is the performance of this tyre..
Old 18th April 2009, 17:56   #67
BHPian

wow that gypsy looks great, now I want to buy a gypsy just so it can look like that !!!!
Old 18th April 2009, 18:22   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
What about coming in sand with 4x4 engaged, can you do good sand drifting??
Yes, BUT I believe that it would still be a lot lot inferior to A/T tyres. Just by the virtue of treads -- they tend to dig in (as soon as you loose momentum)

PS: Also, all this would change based on the nature of sand -- loose, powdery, wet/moist etc etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
...the only way to get them over sand is loads of momentum,
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Ya Brutus, you may be right but the question I am asking is keeping the same vehicle and power how is the performance of this tyre..
I would NOT recommend these for people who will have LOTs of sand to encounter. Especially do consider that MM's/Jeeps with their extra weight will dig in more. These results are with my Gypsy whcih is super light (remember even the rear is chopped of) it weighs ~900 Kgs
Old 18th April 2009, 19:38   #69
BHPian

Mean looking car Khan saab.

Since u have put bigger tyres on the car, would like to know how is the steering responding ...... is it stiff ?

I have driven gypsies with bigger tyres and thesteeringis real hard. You don`t need to go to a gym to work on your triceps.... Ha ha!!!
Old 18th April 2009, 19:43   #70
Senior - BHPian

Nice job on the zuki. Any more mods planned ?
Old 18th April 2009, 21:23   #71
Senior - BHPian

In an earlier post on another thread you said that its mainly the tires which gave the high stance. Maybe I got that post wrong.

Your Gypsy looks like it just ate another gypsy.

Could you please post pics of the tire which got damaged?

Per your understanding and experience, What precautions does one take for Mud tires?
Old 20th April 2009, 13:00   #72
BHPian

Mr. Khan,

Your Gypsy definitely looks and performs very well. I think your next step for "Gypsy on steroids" should be an engine upgrade. Have you considered plonking in the 1.6 L Baleno engine? I also heard that the 1.9 TDI from Skoda is an easy swap. What say??
Old 20th April 2009, 13:39   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, BUT I believe that it would still be a lot lot inferior to A/T tyres. Just by the virtue of treads -- they tend to dig in (as soon as you loose momentum)

PS: Also, all this would change based on the nature of sand -- loose, powdery, wet/moist etc etc...

I would NOT recommend these for people who will have LOTs of sand to encounter. Especially do consider that MM's/Jeeps with their extra weight will dig in more. These results are with my Gypsy whcih is super light (remember even the rear is chopped of) it weighs ~900 Kgs
Thanks for the info. It would be of great help.
Old 23rd April 2009, 09:42   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
...how is the steering responding ...... is it stiff ?...
No. Surprisingly, I find the steering of the Gyspy a lot lot smoother. No issues for me personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
.. Any more mods planned ?
That's a never ending process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
...Could you please post pics of the tire which got damaged?

Per your understanding and experience, What precautions does one take for Mud tires?
Will post soon. It's just quite a few blocks/lugs have broken.

Precautions are :
  • No drag/hard launches. No screeching braking
  • Be careful of high speed driving over broken rocky surface/roads
  • Don't try crossing over to footpath from main road at speeds of > 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by '72 Bullet View Post
... Have you considered plonking in the 1.6 L Baleno engine? I also heard that the 1.9 TDI from Skoda is an easy swap. What say??
No. Haven't given it a thought. Maybe some day some time I may go that route -- don't know now.

OT: can't a Skoda RS engine fit in?? I know someone who might be selling a RS engine
Old 23rd April 2009, 10:08   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
OT: can't a Skoda RS engine fit in?? I know someone who might be selling a RS engine
There goes one perfectly all right off-roader for a toss.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks