Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2009, 12:03   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Nice! Is the dash from an MM540?
Its from Bolero and was nicely fit and looked great on this jeep. Just the aircon control switches were missing as probably the owner did not intend to install an aircon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i very well appriciate the effort put into making the jeep. just need some fine tuning and finer details.

liked:
1. over all look of the jeep.
2. dashboard.
3. fuel cap.
4. tyres
5. wheels.
6. half doors.

disliked:
1. rear bumper.
2. roll cage.
3. side steps.
4. front indicators in the fender.(they would have looked niced under the headlights).
5. snorkel.
6. tail pipes.
Sure Parm, I too agree on what all you have put in the 'disliked' list leaving aside the Indicators as they were almost like we see in an original wrangler. Please note that the owner who himself is the modifier is still working on it and is going for the wrangler look. Thats why the bend in the front grill. I think that is the main difference in a wrangler and CJxxs.

The owner who runs a full time automobile body workshop specializes in Limos. He showed me some pics of his creations which included a Hummer converted to a limo. He also proudly told me about a sports car he created for Mr. Vijay Malya. I have the complete contact details if anyone's interested, do PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
These are, of course, cosmetic changes. One wonders what mech changes it might also have. It is a matter of personal taste certainly but for myself I would consider it simply a waste of money to tilt the grill, indent the filler tube etc.
The vehicle had a 3 Ltr Toyota Dual Turbo Intercoorler engine(as told to me). Though I did not open the hood. The airscoop was done in a shobby manner and was non working as the intercooler was mounted near the radiator. The gear box as per me was KM T90 with transferbox and a working 4x4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Awesome spotting vinay, the Jeep looks very good. Apart from the wheels i liked the dashboard and the interior its pretty clean and functional!
Yes, I too liked the plain looks and the intiriors. Already started on the same lines for my jeep project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Looks good apart from that awful air scoop on the bonnet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
vinayrathore, the jeep looks nice except the front indicators, the bull bar & the aweful hoodscoop. go for a better bigger indicator & modify your bull bar.
otherwise its great.
Hey amit, this is not my Jeep, its something I spotted on the road. We might see the owner on TBHP soon as I invited him to join on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Here are the pics of the jeep I mentioned -
BlackPearl, A great looking jeep you have there. I liked it too!! However, the Jeep I have mentioned is being designed on the lines of a Wrangler and the one you have is on the lines of a CJ7 thats the basic difference buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
That Jeep seems to be a 2WD!

This has already been discussed in some 4x4 thread. Dont go by you tube videos showing some stuff, IMO, one can do a 3 foot water crossing without a snorkel and it does not matter if your silencer is underwater!
headers, the jeep's a proper 4x4 with everything mahindra except the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
The red one is an awesome find. Tastefully done up. You have to give some concession to the owner for the scoop and twin tail pipes, he got most of it right.

This looks to be more of a 'chik-magnet' than a proper 4x4.
I totally agree with you here arun, the scoop is definitely spoiling the party and apart from a 'chik-magnet' look, its an awesome off-roader too.

Attached are two more pics first one is the front differential and the other a close up for the Kumho tyre showing the number.
Attached Thumbnails
MM540 to Wrangler conversion -  the short, crisp and simple way!!-10012009293.jpg  

MM540 to Wrangler conversion -  the short, crisp and simple way!!-10012009290.jpg  

Old 12th January 2009, 12:44   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Here are the pics of the jeep I mentioned -

Hi BlackPearl,

The green jeep you have posted is a Kaiser.

Vinay,

A very nice looking MM540, I too am putting the Bolero dash in my jeep. Its fits amazingly.

Cheers !!!!!!!!!!
Old 12th January 2009, 13:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did not like the overall finish of jeep. The scoop on the hood looks horrible. The hyderabad OTR jeeps, particularly the green one looked much more classy. Sorry, but it is my opinion. No offense meant.
I feel the same way too. The green one posted by you, however is YUMMY!
Old 12th January 2009, 13:29   #19
BHPian

Remove the scoope and also need an alignment on the bonet with the body line. Fender flares are not matching with an original one
Attached Thumbnails
MM540 to Wrangler conversion -  the short, crisp and simple way!!-10012009281.jpg  

Last edited by Salikt : 12th January 2009 at 13:31.
Old 12th January 2009, 14:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
Remove the scoope and also need an alignment on the bonet with the body line. Fender flares are not matching with an original one
MM 540/550 comes like this only. the bonnet is not aligned with the body line.
Old 12th January 2009, 14:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

this is a good looking MM540 with a powerful engine....why call it a "WRANGLER".

Its smart & functional Indian JEEP.

Regards,

Arka
Old 12th January 2009, 15:05   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Guys,

this is a good looking MM540 with a powerful engine....why call it a "WRANGLER".

Its smart & functional Indian JEEP.

Regards,

Arka
Exactly Arka,

Since the owner had termed it as a wrangler in the making, I introduced it as one. However, in my opinion, this is quite close to what an MM5xx should be like and the same way this topic is being discussed in this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...mm540-4wd.html

Simple, functional and a bit modern thats what it should be like. I take as better then the 'Thar' being exported to european markets.
Old 12th January 2009, 15:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Remove the scoope and also need an alignment on the bonet with the body line.
The very basic difference why the front of CJ7/5 looks much more muscular than the Mahindra 5x0's. And finish quality wise Hyderabadi jeeps (like the green kaiser) are phenomenal, though it does require a huge amount! This one is a nice spotting. A working 4x4 with a toyota engine, thats really amazing.
Old 12th January 2009, 15:52   #24
BHPian

I will say good effort,

Succeeded to the extent as it is difficult to find good garage where balanced body + Suspension + Power & Transmission train skill combination is available.

I am stretching my self to Belgaun from Baroda to try on such Garage suppose to be a balanced one.

Cheerrrsss....
Old 12th January 2009, 16:48   #25
BHPian

Hey Vinay... you seem to have a keen eye for the jeeps now! Good pics and info there. hope the owner of this vehicle joins TBhp and sheds some light on what and where he got the mods done.

Quite cool that he kept the 4x4! Maybe he will join us at one of the OTRs! By they, I have missed the first 2 Otrs as well . Next one is a afternoon/ night OTR so I may not go next time as well. I prefer daylight in that terrain!!
Old 12th January 2009, 17:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
......Succeeded to the extent as it is difficult to find good garage where balanced body + Suspension + Power & Transmission train skill combination is available.....
Very appropriately said indeed. Alternatively, you can get the body part done separately, but the last three should be handled by some single expert in a good workshop. In mayapuri, you may be able to spot similar design (as the red jeep), but the finishing is so so poor!
Old 12th January 2009, 17:22   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I saw this Jeep in Karol Bagh, New delhi. The owner is into modifying cars and making stretch limos near Alipur in new delhi.

Its a very well made Jeep wih a working snorkel. I have his business card will have to find it.

Regds

Amit
Old 12th January 2009, 18:09   #28
Senior - BHPian

To me this jeep looks better than the wrangler!! Barring dummy air scoop every thing else is so macho about it. Simple yet effective and toyotas 3 litre engine with 4wd is adding to its robustness at the back of my mind. Does this have a Power steering?
Old 12th January 2009, 19:07   #29
Senior - BHPian

what 3 litre dual turbo toyota engines are there? Specs please?
Old 12th January 2009, 20:41   #30
BHPian

I saw this Jeep in Delhi at Karol Bagh. It is owned by a perosn who modifies cars. He had done a good job. Infact the Snorkel he has made is a good contraption. Thats what impressed me the most. The Roll Cage is week that is good for looks only. For Offroading in we need an actual rollcage protection. Overall A great looking Jeep very well made. Good paintjob. I had clicked the picture of the snorkel how it was attached on the Air Intake. Neat work only thing it need to be tested in water.

Harjeev would agree we do need a Snorkel and a Rollcage for offroading at NIOC...regds ... Amit

Most Viewed